1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Question: Dual Channel memory on AM2(+)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by theeldest, Sep 26, 2008.

1. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Quick Question:

What are the requirements for running dual channel? Only two sticks? or symmetrical sticks across the channels?

Can you run 4 sticks (symmetrical) in dual channel?

Right now, I've got 2x2GB, can I add 2x4GB and still run in dual channel? (ignore the fact that my board only supports 8GB, it's completely hypothetical)

2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Generally it's having the same amount of RAM (at teh same speed) in each channel. Refer to your motherboard's manual to see which slots are for which channel :)

3. Zeratul_uy

Zeratul_uy New Member

Thanks Received:
    As Darknova said, and to explain it easier.
    At the memory slots on your mobo there should be 2 colours, colour 1 (say, black) is the A slots, meanwhile colour 2 (say, orange) is he B slots.

Black slot A1 [2GB -@800mhz 5-5-5-15] | Orange Slot B1 [4GB@800mhz - 6-6-6-18] | Black slot A2 [2GB@800mhz - 5-5-5-15] | Orange slot B2 [4GB@800mhz 6-6-6-18] <--- there you got dual channel well built xD

Mem speed will be the slowest you have, if you have 2 sticks DDR2 1066 and 2 sticks DDR2 800, all four will run at 800mhz

Generally, A slots and B slots are independent, you can have 10 GB on A slots and 256MB on B slots... As long as clocks are the same, it'll run fine :D

My 2 cents :D Ale:rockout:

It feels so good to be baaaaaaaack! :toast:

theeldest says thanks.