• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick questions About SLI

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
  • When I disable SLI (for games that don't support SLI) can I use my 2nd card (inactive card) for physx? or is it by default going to be my cpu or gpu1?
  • Why does nvidia require a bunch of programs to be closed to deactivate SLI? I don't recall having this issue when I had 2x gtx 670
  • Does changing the SLI type really affect frame performance? (alt render 1 vs 2 vs sli)?
  • Why does SLI seem to hate "borderless" window for gaming?
  • Are there tricks to make sure you get the most out of your 2x gpus? I mean gpu usage

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
When I disable SLI (for games that don't support SLI) can I use my 2nd card (inactive card) for physx? or is it by default going to be my cpu or gpu1?

You can set your Physx card in the driver. Though I don't know of any game that uses hardware Physx but doesn't support SLI. Also, you don't need to disable SLI just because a game doesn't support it. Games that don't support it will just use one card.

Why does nvidia require a bunch of programs to be closed to deactivate SLI? I don't recall having this issue when I had 2x gtx 670

If something is using the GPU, and the driver can't suspend the process, the program will have to be closed. For some reason the Logitech software is the only software I've had to close when enabling SLI.

Does changing the SLI type really affect frame performance? (alt render 1 vs 2 vs sli)?

Not enough to matter. I suggest you use the default setting.

Why does SLI seem to hate "borderless" window for gaming?

SLI needs the game to be full screen to work. When a game goes full screen in triggers certain things and gives the game exclusive control of the GPU. SLI needs this exclusive control to work properly.

Are there tricks to make sure you get the most out of your 2x gpus? I mean gpu usage

None that I've seen or needed.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
You can set your Physx card in the driver. Though I don't know of any game that uses hardware Physx but doesn't support SLI. Also, you don't need to disable SLI just because a game doesn't support it. Games that don't support it will just use one card.

If something is using the GPU, and the driver can't suspend the process, the program will have to be closed. For some reason the Logitech software is the only software I've had to close when enabling SLI.

SLI needs the game to be full screen to work. When a game goes full screen in triggers certain things and gives the game exclusive control of the GPU. SLI needs this exclusive control to work properly.

None that I've seen or needed.
What he said^

If you use PhysX at all in SLI, you should just force set it to the second card at all times to alleviate that cause (Albeit I do not know a game with PhysX that does not support SLI).

For me Skyrim, and a few others run better with alt 1.
SLI works fine in border-less windowed for me.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
  • When I disable SLI (for games that don't support SLI) can I use my 2nd card (inactive card) for physx? or is it by default going to be my cpu or gpu1?
  • Why does nvidia require a bunch of programs to be closed to deactivate SLI? I don't recall having this issue when I had 2x gtx 670
  • Does changing the SLI type really affect frame performance? (alt render 1 vs 2 vs sli)?
  • Why does SLI seem to hate "borderless" window for gaming?
  • Are there tricks to make sure you get the most out of your 2x gpus? I mean gpu usage
Tricks for more performance? Use Geforce Experience, but not many games are supported. Out of the 130 or so games I have installed, only about half have profiles in GF-Experience. It will do things like set the game to render at a higher res, and then automatically scale it down (there's some fancy name for this), make sure proper settings are enabled in-game for decent performance (it changes options based on your monitor's resolution and the number of GPUs you have installed), and many other things that help ensure that with supported titles your rig plays everything really well.

SLi doesn't enable for non-supported games. You never need to disable.

Otherwise, just leave it alone one you set it. Nvidia has spent many 1000's of man-hours making sure the driver is intelligent enough to do most things for you, provided you give it some primary basic feedback about your configuration.

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
Tricks for more performance? Use Geforce Experience, but not many games are supported. Out of the 130 or so games I have installed, only about half have profiles in GF-Experience. It will do things like set the game to render at a higher res, and then automatically scale it down (there's some fancy name for this), make sure proper settings are enabled in-game for decent performance (it changes options based on your monitor's resolution and the number of GPUs you have installed), and many other things that help ensure that with supported titles your rig plays everything really well.

SLi doesn't enable for non-supported games. You never need to disable.

Otherwise, just leave it alone one you set it. Nvidia has spent many 1000's of man-hours making sure the driver is intelligent enough to do most things for you, provided you give it some primary basic feedback about your configuration.

Thanks guys. The reason I was asking is because I'm playing Nosgoth lately and my 2x Gpus were sitting @ 25% usage and I figured there was prob a way to turn off one of my cards. In the "nvidia 3d settings" there is an option (sli mode) to force "single card" for any specific game, just add the game to the 3d settings and customize it (with the available option for sli on or off)