• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB BIOS Problems... (UH OH!!)

ReKlipz

OK, Heres the scoop(really bad noob error, if you have a weak stomach, you should probably just skip down. ya, its that bad):
I bought this card(Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB) from a friend who upgraded to a gf6800, he bought this card OEM and doest know the maker... I thought it was ATI, but he says that ATI never made these cards... but anywho. I ran it for about 2 weeks, no prob. Then I decided I'd play some HL2, it kept quitting in the middle of the game to a black screen, i figured, maybe overclocking will help. So, i opened up RadLinker(i have omega 2.6.42 installed, the latest) and OC'd my mem by 6.75MHz, and restarted, while I was restarting, I noticed my GPU fan wasnt plugged in, and figured thats why HL2 kept quitting, to keep my GPU from frying. But when i restarted, I got whole screen atrifacting when the windows logon came up. So I downloaded a new BIOS in safe mode(from here, the ATI 9600 Pro 256MB samsung i believe, and at the time i didnt know what samsung meant, the clockrates looked similar, so i downloaded) and flashed it, didnt have to force the flash either, so then that means my card is ATI then right?(SSID's were the same)? I figrued I wouldnt back up the old BIOS cause radlinker f**xored it up, but I am dumb and didnt realize it hadnt at the time. But this had a problem, I now got artifacting when booting(at the MB BIOS loader screenie thingy), which is when it hit me, RadLinker kicked in at Windows boot and my card was fine, i just needed to uninstall radlinker... but now i dont have my old bios... So I downloaded the Club3D elixir radeon 9600 256MB Pro BIOS, forced the flash, and all is good except windows doesnt recognize my card as a 9600!! it shows up with this: Radeon 9600 Series(Omega 2.6.42) and Radeon 9600 Secondray(Omega 2.6.42), or something to that effect, I even put the card in my other pute which i dont think i've ran the card in before(but I may have),and it shows the same thing!(ill check it once more just to make sure and repost)

So theres my problem... I made the most noob mistake possible and didnt save my bios... which btw, you dont have, i have elixir mem... and that bios i coulda added to your collection. Right now i am runningon my old radeon 7000 64mb ddr... which i will add the bios to your collection, but that may be pointless as it is such an old card...

If anyone can help me get my card to work(i think the prob is windows doesnt detect it right, but not sure), I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Also, would the Powercolor BIOS be better than the Club3D BIOS?

BTW, here is the text off the mem chips:
Elixir
N20S25616BT-5T

there are other numbers, but they are all diff on each chip, i think they are mfg codes for the factories it was made at and such...

And again, i cant play basically anygames on my 7000, and i think you guys can understand my problem, so thanks again for any help!

ReKlipz

No help?!

OK, heres my new problem, i fixed the BIOS issue(unless that is causeing this prob):

When I boot up with the card, all is good until Windows installs the ATI drivers...

It automatically installs them, and then monitor goes to a black screen, and shows a little underscore, as though i was in DOS prompt after booting from a floppy, and it shows this for less than a second, and then goes totally black, and the green LED next to the power button goes out, but the monitor stays on, and i have to restart manually
When i restart, my screen is fine untill the windows logon screen, where it goes all garrbly, like whole screen artifacting...

i then boot in safe mode, uninstall drivers, and repeat, lol

what should i do?

ReKlipz

OK, i installed the ATI Drivers(Cat 2.7) and the control panel loads up and yells at me saying that it cant find a radeon vid card or sumthing like that and it has to close, and yes, this is a radeon 9600 Pro 256MB Elixir card...

Quazi

First of all, I am using an X850XT PE, but windows only recognizes it as an X850 series. Not a problem or reason to worry or be concerned. If the card works, and you know what you have, forget about windows.

And after you unistall your drivers, you should use DriverCleaner 3 and run through its list of ATI drivers and clean each one. Then you should run a registry cleaning program to delete all useless registry entries. www.macecraft.com has RegSupreme for a free trail. Excellent registry cleaning program. Then go into Windows Explorer and into your C drive and under Program Files and delete and folder having to do with those Omega drivers. Run the registry cleaner again afterwards. Now, if it were me, I would give the regular Cats a shot. But this is just me. There is a 3DRageTweak plugin out now that allows you to oc from the CCC or Control Panel just as Radlinker does in the Omegas. Just a thought on this. Anyway, when you restart Windows, you need to cancel when Windows tries to install the video card drivers. Then install them yourself from the exe. If Windows isn't giving you an option to canel, then you need to find out how to reset that option. Someone here may know this off the top of their head, I do not. But it is important that you stop Windows from automatically reinstalling those drivers and it gives you an opportunity to cancel. I know some who can answer this question, but he is on another forum I frequent. I will be glad to ask for you and copy and paste their answer. Let me know if you do not know how to stop Windows from automatically installing your drivers. I will get this info to you or hopefully someone here can tell you.

ReKlipz

Yes, I uninstalled all drivers Omega and the like, and this kept windows from auto installing them, i didnt run drivercleaner though or clean the reg... I then tried the 5.7 catalyst with no luck... i got that error i posted jsut before you

what i think is weird about the drivers is that they gave me the same problem that overclocking my memory to far did...

Ill try the drivercleaner and the registry cleaner and cat 5.6 just for the hell of it, otherwise, if id only had my orig bios!!!

ReKlipz

OK, things get stranger...

I flashed the Saphire 9600 256MB Non-Pro Exilir BIOS, and it works.... ati control panel works, no artifacting.. and it shows up as a saphire atlanta of course, but it is weird that the non pro worked and the pro didnt...

I then flashed the creative 256MB non pro elixir bios, and it works also... shows up as RADEON 9600 SERIES, just as before without omega drivers...

Does having an 8x AGP card make it a Pro card?

If not, then my card prob isnt pro, because my mobo has a little sticker onthe agp slot that says take off if using pro card, and i dont need to take it off....

IF this inst a pro card i am returning its bitch ass to my friend, or get $20 bux back or summat...

Quazi

Good idea. I never uninstall these drivers without afterwards using DriverCleaner 3 and a registry cleaning program. I had many problems way back until I started doing those two things. I haven't had installation issues since. I think you will be alright with that bios. Have you looked at the OC forums or the MVKTech forums for your bios? There are a couple more places out there also. Googling may bring them up.

ReKlipz

should i use the creative one or the saphire one?

also, it says the clockrates are 324 and 189...

I remember radlinker haveing them closer to 400 and 200 before i did the over clock...

oh well, at least my card works.. and about the Pro... I take it this isnta pro card?

ReKlipz

OK, heres the pics of my card, so you can tell me if it is Pro or not...

This is the front of my card:

This is the back of my card:

This is a pic of my AGP slot with the card out(that stickers stays on there, including the tab underneath it)

also, how do you tell if your card is pro or not?

warluck

Hi, i have almost the same setup , board Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe, Connect3D 9600xt , blackscreen and reboot since i bought this video card ( Connect3D do good card ), all that shit nothing to do with windows ,softmoded ,omega drivers and all those good drivers .First :look like it's an Powerd By ATI , By the number it's a Powercolor.Second :check your power supply , good 300 watts min recommanded (My problem was that ).And on't worry about pro or non pro if it work .10 month of searching ,headache frustration just for PSU 350 (model) who in reality is a 250 watts .Good luck ,hope that help and if the card work leave it like that.I flash mine real disaster that's another story Loll.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
That AGP sticker and tab is only an indication of an AGP Pro slot. It's supposed to supply more power to graphics cards who needs it, although I've personally never seen such a card. Maybe business cards. So that tab doesn't mean anything much... My A7V had one as well. And check the BIOS with RaBit to see what the memory and core clocks are. I believe the 9600Pro has 400MHz core and 300MHz memory. And since you've got 5ns Elixer RAM, their supposed to run at 200MHz. So I'm sure the RAM is being overclocked way too much. You can edit the Pro BIOS's memory clock with RaBit to 200MHz and check if it helps...

warluck

Thank you , appreciate all that help ,mine is oki now ,i hope Reklipz find is trouble ,sometimes only small adjustement or weak psu give a lot of headache ,

ReKlipz

I've got a 468Watt PSU(the extra 18 is for an external monitor, dont ask, lol)

So the reason i ask if it is a pro card or not is whether or not to use a pro BIOS, but i will try what you said about the BIOS editor, because i had a PRO BIOS on there before(ATI samsung bios, lol) and the mem was OC'd too much and it cause artifacting, and then when i installed drivers, my whole screen was garbled when windows came up, but if it inst pro, then my friend may get his money back from the guy he bought it from, cause they advertised it as pro and he has the reciept still...

Ill try the BIOS editor, and if that dont work, should i use the creative BIOS or the Saphire?(9600 non pro 256mb elixir both are)

Case NZXT
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
I would use the Sapphire simply because I know about lots of guys that use it and have no problems. Creative BIOS's can sometimes be too specific for their boards only, but if either of them works there shouldn't really be a difference... Hope you get it working. ;)

ReKlipz

OK, so the sticker P/N says R96-D3GN which is said online to be a pro card...

So if i use the non pro BIOS, will anything change, will I be losing performance?

and also, i used this card in my old computer which ran it at 4x, and that is not an APG Pro slot, so then does that make this a non pro card also?

warluck

ReKlipz said:
OK, so the sticker P/N says R96-D3GN which is said online to be a pro card...

So if i use the non pro BIOS, will anything change, will I be losing performance?

and also, i used this card in my old computer which ran it at 4x, and that is not an APG Pro slot, so then does that make this a non pro card also?

I dont know what you mean when you say ''its not an AGP pro slot '' for me an AGP slot 2X ,4 X ,8X all the same ,if there a NON PRO or A PRO that come from Video CARD ( my opinion ).

I dont think there to much difference in perf ,but if you want
try to find the bios from an R96-D3GN and reflash like it was before ,do some benchmark ,record result oc ,non oc different drivers setup and dont forget to do a backup of your bios you have now (card work ) .And compare on internet your score with other who have the same card .If you want check my little story .First part ISH :eek: .Second part smiling again :D Like a real story with happy ending
;)
First part ,i flashed my 9600XT and everything goes bad and more. (distraction ,was afraid to missed the flash )I'll try to explain what i do ;1:boot in dos ; oki , 2: I backuped my original bios (Lucky not your case i think) 3:reboot in dos and i dont know why, i force the flash, not run flashrom.exe to see all the info (command etc) Resulting real bad flash , all the rom i think ,i dont know if it s possible or not but the mobo too .Because no boot sequence ,no keyboard nothing except the hdd .I change the cpu ,memory video card nothing (depress ) lolll.I ll do a lot a flashing before goes bad 2 times only .
Now mobo and 9600xt work great .I'll explain what i do to reflash everething back in normal.

warluck

Reklipz , here some answer i found Why modify a Radeon 9500 non-pro when you can buy a pro version at the same price? What is

the advantage?

you can turn a 9500 non-pro 128mb into a 9700 128mb, that's why you really a non pro

you can unlock 4 aditional pipelines, but you cannot magicly replace the ram-blocks with

better quality ram

Case NZXT
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
warluck said:
I dont know what you mean when you say ''its not an AGP pro slot '' for me an AGP slot 2X ,4 X ,8X all the same ,if there a NON PRO or A PRO that come from Video CARD ( my opinion ).

I dont think there to much difference in perf ,but if you want
try to find the bios from an R96-D3GN and reflash like it was before ,do some benchmark ,record result oc ,non oc different drivers setup and dont forget to do a backup of your bios you have now (card work ) .And compare on internet your score with other who have the same card .If you want check my little story .First part ISH :eek: .Second part smiling again :D Like a real story with happy ending
;)
First part ,i flashed my 9600XT and everything goes bad and more. (distraction ,was afraid to missed the flash )I'll try to explain what i do ;1:boot in dos ; oki , 2: I backuped my original bios (Lucky not your case i think) 3:reboot in dos and i dont know why, i force the flash, not run flashrom.exe to see all the info (command etc) Resulting real bad flash , all the rom i think ,i dont know if it s possible or not but the mobo too .Because no boot sequence ,no keyboard nothing except the hdd .I change the cpu ,memory video card nothing (depress ) lolll.I ll do a lot a flashing before goes bad 2 times only .
Now mobo and 9600xt work great .I'll explain what i do to reflash everething back in normal.

AGP Pro slot is scarce and has a few extra pins in front of the socket. And AGP 2x,4x,8x has nothing to do with it. And of course you get the different Pro and non-pro cards as well... But I want to ask you, why would you want to flash a 9600XT? What would you want to flash it to?? Or just an update BIOS?

warluck

zAAm said:
AGP Pro slot is scarce and has a few extra pins in front of the socket. And AGP 2x,4x,8x has nothing to do with it. And of course you get the different Pro and non-pro cards as well... But I want to ask you, why would you want to flash a 9600XT? What would you want to flash it to?? Or just an update BIOS?

( My primary language it s french and i try to write in english so if my writing or word are not good excuse me , i do my best :D ) . Oki , thanks for agp slot ,i check later difference slot AGP .Now about my card ,I bought that card last summer around September , I run ME and XP on C; and D : install my card , XP my fisrt OS ( ME , back up or do some tricks you can t do with XP ) my trouble was with XP PC start crashing , blackscreen and just the power light on , anytime ex: just click the mouse , soon as windows desktop show ,and sometime Windows was ok couple hour ,but to play games forget it .NFSU no way ,FAR CRY a little bit longer and PAINKILLER too except DOOM3 strange ! :confused: Millennium no problem at all more strange same PC. 2 weeks ago ,start looking for that trouble again found the answer on this forum ( THANK YOU MIXA ) remove geforce 5200 (replacement :eek: ) put back my 9600XT ,and bought a new PSU ( ISO-400D 300watts really good and cheap 35.00 dual fan ) :eek: . Sure mine was a 350 WATTS blinded by the name PSIV-350-I ,now i'm really happy and i gonna play a lot for sure :D . I.ll try a couple of PSU cheap i presume and when they're not heavy they are no good (old school). ;) Be sure power supply give enough power .

dirkdavid

First of all, I am using an X850XT PE, but windows only recognizes it as an X850

First of all, I am using an X850XT PE, but windows only recognizes it as an X850 series. Not a problem or reason to worry or be concerned. If the card works, and you know what you have, forget about windows.

And after you unistall your drivers, you should use DriverCleaner 3 and run through its list of ATI drivers and clean each one. Then you should run a registry cleaning program to delete all useless registry entries. www.macecraft.com has RegSupreme for a free trail. Excellent registry cleaning program. Then go into Windows Explorer and into your C drive and under Program Files and delete and folder having to do with those Omega drivers. Run the registry cleaner again afterwards. Now, if it were me, I would give the regular Cats a shot. But this is just me. There is a 3DRageTweak plugin out now that allows you to oc from the CCC or Control Panel just as Radlinker does in the Omegas. Just a thought on this. Anyway, when you restart Windows, you need to cancel when Windows tries to install the video card drivers. Then install them yourself from the exe. If Windows isn't giving you an option to canel, then you need to find out how to reset that option. Someone here may know this off the top of their head, I do not. But it is important that you stop Windows from automatically reinstalling those drivers and it gives you an opportunity to cancel. I know some who can answer this question, but he is on another forum I frequent. I will be glad to ask for you and copy and paste their answer. Let me know if you do not know how to stop Windows from automatically installing your drivers. I will get this info to you or hopefully someone here can tell you.

Attachments

• P0000507b.jpg
    P0000507b.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 640

warluck

Thank's ,i know Windows named video cards by ''series'' really not a problem ,if you take for ex: Everest or program like that you got the real name ,specs etc.Now i don,t have any trouble with my 9600Xt i put it in my wife's PC . I bought an ASUS V9999GT and i'm very satisfied .It's a 6800GT with DDR memory versus DDR3 ,for me it ' s perfect (need a good power supply and need to be connected alone on rail ,no HDD ,Cdrom etc ).ThanK you ,dirk david to wake me up happy to come back on this forum and tech Power Up ,good :rockout:

dirkbloke33

First, keep in mind that 6800G is an Entertainment Package designed
to run on the Still Single With Options operating system, while Husband 1.0
is an entirely different operating system.

Please enter command: ithoughtyoulovedme.html, then download Tears 6.2 and
don't forget to also install the Guilt 3.0 update. If those applications
work together as designed, Husband 1.0 should automatically begin to run
the applications Jewelry 2.0 and Flowers 3.5. But remember, overuse of the
above applications can cause Husband 1.0 to default to Grumpy Silence 2.5,
Happy Hour 7.0 or Beer 6.1. Please note that Beer 6.1 is a particularly bad
program that will initiate download of the Snoring Loudly Beta.

Whatever you do, DO NOT install Mother-In-Law 1.0 (it runs a virus in the
background that will eventually seize control of all your system
resources.) Also do not attempt to reinstall Boyfriend 5.0. These two are
unsupported applications that will crash Husband 1.0.

In summary, Desperate, remember that Husband 1.0 is a great system, but it
does have limited memory and cannot learn new applications quickly. You
might consider buying additional software to improve system memory and
performance. We recommend Cooking 3.0, Authorized Guys Night Out 4.0 and
Hot Lingerie 7.7.

Good Luck,
Dirk:rockout: