• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon R9 390X and R9 390 to Feature Faster Memory, Core Over Predecessors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Well isn't this a nice how dee do wake up..

A re-brand, great! Wtf is AMD doing over there besides a shitty rebrand on there 3 series.. And twice the memory plus higher clocks lol what a joke... Fu%k both my 290 and 290x both run the same clocks at stock.

So AMD, have you cooled this rebranded bastard down? Being built straight down to the last transistor, identical, I pretty much have no doubt in my mind these will be just as hot as there older brothers...

D

Deleted member 138597

If this is supposed to be Hawaii, then we are again running with the old, shitty problem of high power consumption, leakage, and consequently high temps for which 290X was condemned for. :wtf: Well that's just sh*t. I really thought AMD would bring to this new 390/X lineup some brand new chip, at least crippled Fiji, but IT DIDN'T.

I don't know how AMD's gonna sue people to buy their 300 series, because every SKU is rebrand, and more importantly, they have the same inherent overheating problem and high power consumption as 200 series (and 7000 series). I think they just gave Nvidia more space in the market, and no way it would make sense to "upgrade" to 300 series, unless someone is looking for more vRAM, because clock speeds doesn't impress. Get an aftermarket cooler or the stock could do well enough, do few tweaks and you are at the new cards' level, and maybe better. The BIOS is just new, and the more vRAM, but nothing else.

Boooo AMD! You let us down. :shadedshu:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Hmmmm...so now what to do. My 6850s are just not cutting it anymore but I don't see a reason to buy something this generation. I was hoping AMD would trim power consumption / heat from the 390/X. My ambient temps are around 28C and I don't feel like having a 300 watt heater next to me.

I was going to buy a 970 but I don't like being lied too (I know it still performs excellent and overall is an excellent card but they knew it wouldn't sell as well if they advertised it as 3.5gb and they tried to blow smoke up our asses as a miscommunication between departments - bs).

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'd rather buy potentially broken and flawed GTX 970 then. At least it's still faster now even if that 3,5GB memory thing proves to be problematic in the future and lastly, it still costs freaking less.

All my games run just fine.

If the price/performance is right who cares if its a re-brand

AMD had the opportunity to make Grenada to be a chip with GCN 1.2, and some new stuff, such as HDMI 2.0. Most of the R&D was already done (GCN 1.2 on Tonga, HDMI 2.0 on Fiji). The resulting chip wouldn't have been much different from Hawaii. But nooo. AMD's investment in Grenada is all of firing up a BIOS editor and changing one tiny little string.

So, in your tiny mind HBM suddenly allows more than 1GB of data on a 1GB VRAM size? Or it will swap textures SO fast that it can do the same with half the framebuffer? That is some pretty awesome interlacing then :D

Are you retarded or just plain stupid? 4GB = 4GB. Except when its a 970 you are talking about... :peace:

4 oranges is different from 4 apples. HBM is different from a 7-years-old tech called GDDR5.

4 GB of HBM, with a proper scheduler from driver, can do the same thing 12 GB of GDDR5 able to do at 4k.

Back to the topic, AMD did the same rebrand scheme in 2xx series. It's not a good move, but still is the only choice for them now. Money does make people do shit things :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 138597

I don't get it, what is wrong with AMD? Are they running short of funds, are their engineers and R&D have nothing in their brains (or maybe living under rocks), or is there a traitor in AMD suggesting how it should plan its step, to get it destroyed?

I feel bad for AMD, I am not a fanboy of AMD, neither of nvidia, but I really want it to trample nvidia for few years. I don't think HBM would do any good to AMD anyway, since nvidia's new arsenal, aka Pascal is coming with HBM v2, that would shatter anything of AMD's built fame over Fiji XT. Shrinking lithographies doesn't do the talking, you need better GPU architecture.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Hmmmm...so now what to do. My 6850s are just not cutting it anymore but I don't see a reason to buy something this generation. I was hoping AMD would trim power consumption / heat from the 390/X. My ambient temps are around 28C and I don't feel like having a 300 watt heater next to me.

I was going to buy a 970 but I don't like being lied too (I know it still performs excellent and overall is an excellent card but they knew it wouldn't sell as well if they advertised it as 3.5gb and they tried to blow smoke up our asses as a miscommunication between departments - bs).

If your 6850s aren't cutting it then that's a good reason to upgrade. An XFX 290x is $270 at Newegg with rebate if you can buy there or wait for the prices to dip even more when 390x arrives in stores. It may be many months before we will see Arctic Islands and if you're gaming at 1080p 60 Hz then that would be overkill anyway so yeah a 290x/390x would be a possible upgrade.

I don't get it, what is wrong with AMD? Are they running short of funds, are their engineers and R&D have nothing in their brains (or maybe living under rocks), or is there a traitor in AMD suggesting how it should plan its step, to get it destroyed?

I feel bad for AMD, I am not a fanboy of AMD, neither of nvidia, but I really want it to trample nvidia for few years. I don't think HBM would do any good to AMD anyway, since nvidia's new arsenal, aka Pascal is coming with HBM v2, that would shatter anything of AMD's built fame over Fiji XT. Shrinking lithographies doesn't do the talking, you need better GPU architecture.
Things are tight at AMD right now. They lost over $400 million last year and another $170 million the first quarter this year even with the console market to themselves.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
So, in your tiny mind HBM suddenly allows more than 1GB of data on a 1GB VRAM size? Or it will swap textures SO fast that it can do the same with half the framebuffer? That is some pretty awesome interlacing then :D

Are you retarded or just plain stupid? 4GB = 4GB. Except when its a 970 you are talking about... :peace:

Keep from becoming personal next time.

That 8GB Memory is delicious, if you look at the most new games, I think 4GB is just inadequate. This sure will make the product future proof too. :)

4GB is only inadequate if the card has high processing power and these don't. Sure, now you will be able to run the best textures and AA and not have any frame buffer issues, but it will only be at 15fps.

For CF it's nice, but isn't DX12 going to allow frames to be split between cards? So soon even the advantage in CF will be nil.

No doubt 8GB will be a big selling point for the masses who don't know any better. I guess success depends on how many in that category are in the market for a $350-$400 card.

D

Deleted member 138597

Things are tight at AMD right now. They lost over $400 million last year and another $170 million the first quarter this year even with the console market to themselves.

They could arrange a partnership with the big companies like Samsung and hire workforce, if that makes sense.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
If your 6850s aren't cutting it then that's a good reason to upgrade. An XFX 290x is $270 at Newegg with rebate if you can buy there or wait for the prices to dip even more when 390x arrives in stores. It may be many months before we will see Arctic Islands and if you're gaming at 1080p 60 Hz then that would be overkill anyway so yeah a 290x/390x would be a possible upgrade.

I see how my statement was confusing. I do need to upgrade, you are correct. However, when I built my brother's computer with a 290, the heat was ridiculous. I don't really have the budget to buy new this year and next year when the real cards come out. I don't really like buying cards on ebay...like I said decisions. I suppose since it would only be a year or less I could probably deal with a 290X.

Edit: I also should have said the cards on offer really aren't that compelling. I also don't think that the 290X is overkill for 1080. Minimum frames really aren't that good for games like BF4, and TW3.

Last edited:

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
Sure, the price/performance will be right....by 2016 or right before Arctic Islands comes out. I don't think prices will change much since there is no competition for Nvidia this generation. For people looking to upgrade, it's best to look out for some good 290/290X deals because I'm sure they will be aplenty.

We still don't know Fiji's performance. If Fiji can take on 980 TI and Titan X and they price the 3xx cards accordingly then how is no competition.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
4 oranges is different from 4 apples. HBM is different from a 7-years-old tech called GDDR5.

4 GB of HBM, with a proper scheduler from driver, can do the same thing 12 GB of GDDR5 able to do at 4k.

Back to the topic, AMD did the same rebrand scheme in 2xx series. It's not a good move, but still is the only choice for them now. Money does make people do shit things :(

No, you can schedule all you want, but it won't alleviate VRAM minimum requirements. To lower those further, the ball needs to move to game developers. You overestimate HBM. As long as GDDR5 is still on the market, which it will be for at least half a decade still, games will not be built around HBM properties.

on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
System Name ( . Y . )
290/290x both already had 6ghz memory chips but clocked lower so this IS just a clock bump rebrand, nothing changed phisically, just double density chips wich is pontless on a card featuring this level of performance.

No, you can schedule all you want, but it won't alleviate VRAM minimum requirements. To lower those further, the ball needs to move to game developers. You overestimate HBM. As long as GDDR5 is still on the market, which it will be for at least half a decade still, games will not be built around HBM properties.

First, 'VRAM minimum requirement' is just a generic term. Shadow of mordor is a stupid game with 6GB requirements, but you still can start game with a 2GB card.

Second, games is not build around HBM or GDDR5. It's the driver which controls how the VRAM is used. The ball doesn't need to and never be moved to devs.

Finally, do you really understand how a graphic card works before posting stuff here?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
290/290x both already had 6ghz memory chips but clocked lower so this IS just a clock bump rebrand, nothing changed phisically, just double density chips wich is pontless on a card featuring this level of performance.

This

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Most likely a few small tweaks that don't change the actual working of the die, but save power and allow for more stable memory and core speeds, much like the decoupling caps from the 1800 to the 1900.

That was the card purchase thst taught me to not be on the leading edge of cards until the numbers were in.

Reactions: xvi

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I am down for a R9 3xx card. Give me a card with DX12, a faster core and newer/faster memory, and lower power consumption AMD. Windows 10 with DX12 and a DX12 capable AMD gpu...2015 is looking good for my gaming computer. :toast:

System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT
So I'm confused, are these the cards that were seen in "benchmarks" outperforming the Titan X?

And are now appearing to just be a rebrand plus some extra RAM, core speed?

Or am I at a complete loss?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I guess if I can get away with Win10 next month when it comes out I can wait until there are actually DX12 games and a 2nd gen of DX12 cards to go with it...

So I'm confused, are these the cards that were seen in "benchmarks" outperforming the Titan X?

And are now appearing to just be a rebrand plus some extra RAM, core speed?

Or am I at a complete loss?
No that is "Fury" the Fiji XT chip, totally different card.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
So they have the time and money to give 290x 8GB of VRAM, but not their 2015 flagship Fury X. LOL.

No that is "Fury" the Fiji XT chip, totally different card.

Yes, hopefully AMD will have a good performer at the high end and these rebadges will still cover all the performance bases... but damn! It'd be nice to get a little extra *something* new in the lower tiers. And no, slightly higher clocks and more (useless!) vram for more money doesn't cut it.

Second, games is not build around HBM or GDDR5. It's the driver which controls how the VRAM is used. The ball doesn't need to and never be moved to devs.
Finally, do you really understand how a graphic card works before posting stuff here?

I don't know that much, but I think vayra86 is talking about frame buffer size limitations. The frame needs to fit in the space allocated. Doesn't matter how fast the vram is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that much, but I think vayra86 is talking about frame buffer size limitations. The frame needs to fit in the space allocated. Doesn't matter how fast the vram is.
It would be best if all stuff need in one frame are stored in VRAM (read>done). If not, GPU have to wait until all data for the frame is ready. (read>wait>read>done). The wait part, when the VRAM need to get new stuff from RAM, is irrelevant with PCIe 3.0 speed, and the delay was mostly caused by the additional read part.

However, with HBM the speed of this read part is 9 times smaller than that of GDDR5 at same clock. In FuryX and TitanX case, this ratio reduce to 0.6 times smaller due to different clock. Some simple math from here show that with good scheduler from driver, 4GB capacity is not that big issue with frames of 4GB-8GB zone. At 8GB-12GB zone, the difference will be more clear, but the GPU also suffers here, which make the delay of memory less significant. In short, 4GB of HBM on FuryX can keep up with 12GB of TitanX in 4GB-8GB zone, and is superior in sub 4GB area.

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
We still don't know Fiji's performance. If Fiji can take on 980 TI and Titan X and they price the 3xx cards accordingly then how is no competition.

That is but just one card. The whole 3XX line is pretty much the same exact cards from last generation. How much more performance does an extra 50MHz on core realistically give you in games? The OC headroom I fear will be close to nil. Factor on top of that the 290/290X were BOTH overheating beasts that needed to be tamed by AIB partners ASAP because reviews were bashing the crap out of AMD's reference boards. When the 390/390X come out, please compare the prices with current 290/290X and tell me if that is competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.