• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID 5 3TB Hard drives

jcruiser89

Hi Guys, I am trying to set up a Raid 5 array on my computer. I have a GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard with 5 3tb drives. Using the on board Raid I am getting upwards of 550MB/s Read speeds, but only 30MB/s write speeds....... I tried multiple different setting, but couldn't get it any faster. I went and bought a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL, but unfortunately it is not compatible with my motherboard..... I did manage to get it up in windows one time with some fiddling and did a benchmark, speeds were 600+MB/s read and write, but after a reboot the card completely lost the array and failed to boot to windows. I am looking either for a way to boost my current mobo, get a new mobo that would be faster or get a compatible raid controller for my mobo. I dont need 600MB/s write speed I would be fine with 100-155MB/s. I want to keep this under $300. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks and have a happy 4th of July.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
What issues were you having with your card?

Also your slow RAID 5 writes are more than likely due to uninitialized drives, the array is built in the background while you use your computer, did you install the AMD drive package to monitor the array in windows?

What drives are they, 5400 RMP "green" drives, brand, model.....

jcruiser89

I did a full initialization, which took 3 days and it still had slow write speeds(30MB/s). The Highpoint card made windows freeze on startup. I even disabled all onboard ports and put 2 64gb ssds on the card in a raid 1 and tried to install windows and it froze durring install. The only way I was able to boot into windows is if I went into the card on startup and initialized all the drives attached then it would boot windows that one time, after a reboot it would freeze again. I updated the bios of my mobo and the firmware on the card to no avail.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Return the card as defective and try a new one, and if that fails see if you can try it in another motherboard.

jcruiser89

yeah.........thanks.......... I said screw it and installed Linux. Software Raid 5 is getting 180+MB/s write............