1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID0 SSDs??

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MxPhenom 216, Jun 24, 2013.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Do drives need to be the exact same model to run them in RAID0. I want to raid0 another Corsair Neutron 240 for my games, but Corsair stopped making the 240 (Non GTX) version. Last I remember the drives needed to be the same, but if I got another 240 that has similar specs wouldn't work? Or is it a firmware thing as well?

And if nothing will work, Ill probably just sell current 240 I have for a higher density SSD like a 480-512GB.

2. Grnfinger

Grnfinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    iirc they need to be the same firmware

I've only done raid0 with Vertex II ( bought at different times) and a matched pair of Kingston drives

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Or, just get another 240 gig and not raid it. Steam allows for multiple HDD installation now.

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Another thing to throw out there, not sure if this is still relevant, but when I would do RAID0 with SSDs and high OC's I ran into booting issues. Been years since I have, and not sure if it was something my end or just how it worked out, but sucked having to format more often than I liked due to that.

5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    The RAID controller doesn't care whether the drives are identical or not. So it should work fine with a different SSD. However, the result won't be optimal.

Latter option is the best, if you can sell your existing SSD.

6. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I adminster various tons of servers on a daily basis, and I can tell you right now that using Software or Hardware RAID with non-identical drives has a chance of working just fine, and a chance of causing major issues sooner than later.

Don't take the chance - sell or use your existing SSD for something else and either get one big or two other small IDENTICAL SSDs.

My two Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs used in RAID0 in my personal computer have literally serial numbers right next to each other :)

7. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    What kind of major issues are we talking about? Any data losses involved? :eek:

8. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    -Subpar performance
    -Faster wearing out of drives
    -Data loss

All of which are unacceptable in a server/datacenter environment.

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i can under stand that issue were your talking HDD's but with SSD's it maybe more forgiving although if it was me i would still try get another with the same controller at least..

And as seen as this is a home computer he is on about and as long as he backs up his data before attempting doing raid with odd drives he should be ok.

If i had more SSD's i would try it my self just to see if possibly problematic.

I this case i actually think i would just get a newer SSD like a sammy pro and try it see how it turns out and if it fails he still has a super kick ass SSD still..

10. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    I have both the 240 and 256 Neutron, they RAID fine. The only change was the NAND, which was Micron in the original, later switched to Hynix in the 256GB. However if your worried about data loss RAID0 is not an option.

MxPhenom 216 and AsRock say thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    That is very good to know. What storage did you get out of it? 240+256 or 240+240 (Where then 256 defaults to 240 usable before windows provisioning)

12. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    The sizes have to be same, so 240GB x2 = 480GB. Rest of the 256GB will be used for over provisioning.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    okay that's what I kind of figured.

14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I went for higher capacity (480 GB should arrive soon) rather than RAID0, mind that I tried it and to be honest the speed difference isn't really noticeable.

Part of the explanation why it didn't seem faster is because at low queue depths the performance is basically unchanged.

As far as I can see the benefit of Raid0 on SSDs when transfering sequential large sequences of data.

You are going to experience slightly latencies too because of the overhead that Raid0 creates.

So IMO unless you move large quantities of data it just isn't worth it :)

Some data to backup

[​IMG][​IMG]

and this is where Raid0 shines

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i am not going worry over .005ms.. How ever could not agree more with raided SSD's are best for large files which is why i use mine for my games as that's were all my large files are and there is a fair few of them..

16. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Great thinking on the single drive. R0 SSD's are monumental overkill for most users. You don't really 'feel' it in the OS unless you manipulate a lot of large files frequently among a few other things. Boot times will remain around the same due to the RAID having to load. Not to mention, you essentially double your chance of losing a drive since you now have two that can fail.

The latency issue shouldnt even be a mention IMO... the difference is negligible at best.

17. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sorry guys didn't look at the latency figures until now, that happens when you are 24 hrs without cappuccino :D

Ignore those, unless you are Flash :toast:

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received: