1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ram for Vista x64 ult

Discussion in 'General Software' started by xubidoo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive borrowed a copy of vista x64 ult ed off a m8 who bought it and didnt like it ,so if i like it i may buy it off him as he does not intend on using it ,he only had it installed briefly ,b4 wiping the drive and putting xp on.

my question/s being

1) should i lose xp and just have vista on or dual boot ? (im a heavy gamer btw)

2) will i be able to run it ok on only 2gb ram ? ,im prob buying a 4gb set end of this week anyway ,or should i w8 until i get the new ram before installing.

thanks

calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Will run fine on 2gig, especially with your specs. 4 gig will be better. I've noticed no difference in gaming, but I'm not a FPS whore like some here.:laugh:

Word of warning--I had to pull one of my RAM modules (I run 2x2 gig) to get Vista Ultimate to install. Once it was installed and running, I popped the other module back in and have been spinning along nicely ever since.

calvary1980 and xubidoo say thanks.
  3. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    id say dual boot for now JUST IN CASE, i like vista been using it for over 8 months now and not gone back to xp, and im running 2gb ram ;) (another 2 gig being delievered tomorrow) 2gb is fine, be sure to check out the tweak vista thread in general software :toast:

4. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    you be ok with 2gb for now but def get that 4gb, 2gb is ok for vista x86, 4gb fine for x64, and bin the xp clean install of vista, i had a dual boot once i went to vista i never used xp again, and im a heavy gamer

5. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    by the way illed install it and all the updates because vista x64 some time blue screens when installing with 4gb, so use to and then update

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Id say dont bother with duel booting gaming is fine with Vista as is 2 gig.

7. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:

bit weird that really as i thought x64 was designed for more than 2gb ram yet it gives BSOD's when u install on more than 2gb haha ,typical MS :D

calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. aharvey

aharvey New Member

Thanks Received:
    It only becomes an issue on the inital install of the OS. afterwards you will be good to go. You might want to patch up and apply SP1 before adding the RAM as well.

xubidoo and calvary1980 say thanks.
  9. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    I run 2GB DDR on my old s939 rig with Vista Ulttimate 64 without a problem. I don't play too many games on it anyhow seeing it only has an x850xt.

10. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    You'll definitely be fine... I'm running it on an older machine and still loving it :D trimmed down some services that I don't need I only use this machine for watching dvd's and surfing and a lil bit of games.

Btw: here's a link for vista x64 sp1 just incase u need it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and after that if you're satisfied with vista + sp1 you could run this:

Just type in the startmenu: "VSP1CLN" without the quotes this comes installed with sp1, it basically cleans the sp installation files.

11. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    the issue will allways be there with vista x64 my mate installed it fine then when windows was loading the 2nd time around it blue screened:laugh:,i think it only with 4x1gb stick, my other mate installed with 2x2gb stick and had no problems, but again could just be the motherboards.

12. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok ive taken the plunge and its now installed ,just gotta install my usual apps/games then onto tweaking vista itself ,the uac was annoying as hell ,am sure they made with the main goal of annoying as many ppl as possible :)

not had any probs so far ,but is early days :)

13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    You might already no but ya can get Vista to bootup using all ur cores. Go to start then type start then msconfig go to boot and advanced options click no of proccors then select how many to use hit apply then reboot.

xubidoo says thanks.
  14. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    heh had no idea it could do that ,but im not sure wat benefit there is using it ? it didnt appear to boot any faster. mebbe backgrnd stuff ive no idea :)

ive disabled uac ,but on each reboot ,windows complains its turned off ,any way to disable that msg ,i know its off u dumb smuck!! i turned it off arghh :D

its all these little things ,i can tell its gonna take a good while b4 i know wats wat ,i seem to have 49 processes running ,i assume this is rather high even for vista ? ,in xp i had a lot (32ish) but almsot 50 ? !!

15. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i did the same you can turn off the warning by goin to Control Panel > Windows Security Center> and on the left it says change the way Security Center alerts me click on that and click the bottom one

xubidoo says thanks.
  16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    download this meter and tell me how much ram your using it should be around 28-35%LINK, will go up till you get the other 2gb of ram, one gain is now you have DX10

xubidoo says thanks.
  17. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah i did that ages ago mon mainly cus it was driving me nut and to get task manager press ctrl shift and esc.

xubidoo says thanks.
  18. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say dual boot. You wouldn't want to find that some favourite game doesn't run (yet) on Vista x64.

xubidoo says thanks.
  19. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Cant say ive come across any games that dont run under vista 64bit even painkiller fro 4 years ago runs fine. Then again im sure theyd be the odd game that doesnt run.

xubidoo says thanks.
  20. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ended up going with just vista ,and i wiped xp (altho i imaged it just in case)

i know that if i have both OS's installed ill still end up using XP as im used to it ,at least this way itll force me to use vista,so far it seems pretty good :)

btw the oldest game i play is Quake 2 (online) and it runs just fine in x64 not bad vista running an 11 year old game heh.

21. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:

its usually around the 40-50% ram usage ,altho from reading another thread about this subject ,it appears pretty normal for most ppl to have ram usuage that high.

22. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had thought about dual booting, but in the end went for Vista 64 only. Thats been since March and I have only found one app that wouldn't work with Vista (WMAConvert).

I have 4GB RAM and it uses about 35% usually.

Look out for System Restore stealing your HD space - Vista allocates 15% of unused space after install for Restore Points!! About 2 weeks after I had installed I had "lost" 70GB :eek:

xubidoo says thanks.
  23. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    already disabled that ,i never used it on xp either ,i prefer to use acronis to image my c: drive

24. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    In system restore vista there is a way you could control how much space it takes up, although you'll do it in the cmd environment, dunno why they removed the slider bar like XP had, heres how:

1st you want to view how much is really allocated, I'm gonna use "C:" as the windows drive for it is commonly placed there.. You can also do this to your other drives which has System restore turned on. Run CMD as admin. Then type:

Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    Then it'll display the allocated size for shadow copies/restore points.

Then if you wanna resize it do:

Code:
    vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[OnVolumeSpec:] /for=[ForVolumeSpec:] /maxsize=[MaxSizeSpec]
    Where:

OnVolumeSpec: is the drive letter, in this example C
    ForVolumeSpec: is the drive letter, in this example C
    MaxSizeSpec: is the maximum size you want System Restore to use, in this example 1.5G*
    (* = must be 300mb above to work)

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=1.5G > where it'll be resized to 1.5Gb

After that I suggest turning system restore off and run disk clean up so it'll clear the whole restore points/shadow copies, and turn it on again to rebuild it to the specified size...

Hope this helped any1 :D

Guru Janitor says thanks.
  25. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks psyko12, thats quite useful :toast: