1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rambus Signs Memorandum of Understanding with Intel

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 8, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rambus Inc., one of the world's premier technology licensing companies specializing in high-speed memory architectures, has signed a memorandum of understanding with Intel to explore possible uses for Rambus' family of XDR memory solutions. Rambus plans to dedicate certain technology and design resources to the effort and the evaluation will be done on Intel’s silicon process technology. The Company stressed that Intel was only evaluating the technology for possible future uses and has no specific product plans for the XDR memory technology at this time. The XDR memory architecture features key enabling technologies built on patented Rambus innovations that include low-voltage, low-power Differential Rambus Signaling Level (DRSL); FlexPhase circuit technology for precise on-chip alignment of data with clock; and Dynamic-Point-to-Point (DPP) for scalable point-to-point signaling on the data bus.

Source: Rambus

2. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    I loved Rambus Memory. I have a system running 2GB of 1066 and it still rocks.

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, pricey though. In fact, even nowadays it's quite expensive, you'd probably be better off selling the ram and getting a new mobo+RAM for your system. Or buy a dirt cheap Xeon board, the RAMBUS ones are extremely cheap because of their RAMBUS needs.

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the only market Rambus will Really work in is Servers, Against the FBDImms

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Any argument for that?

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    im just saying that if intel tries to use RIMMs again for consumer level PCs its going to crash like it did back in the early 2000s and result in Intel and Rambus getting Fined again. But it seems Intel is at the game again of changing ram Speeds with the use of DDR3 when DDR2 hasnt been out long enough to be developed to its greatest potential, also performance is still faltering on that front.

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's what you said yes, and I ask for an argument. Why would it crash again?

Besides:

8. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I swear, Intel never learns. They went from rambus to dram (then ddrI) b/c it was so horribly slow and expensive. Not to mention it got so hot that it would burn your hand, literally.

9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I recommend reading the article before responding, specially the line I quoted in the post above you.

10. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if they're even thinking of the possibility of using anything from rambus... [​IMG]

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know this isn't a bad idea....for people that can afford this stuff. I mean speeds are in comparision with things like GDDR4 I believe. Actually I think its even faster...imagine that for cpus....end of the ram bottleneck? I'd defiantly go for that....but AMD would benifit the most until Intel hits back with CSI cause fsb would be a huge bottleneck.

12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The XDR (not to mention XDR2) RAM can be clocked at 4GHz.
    If they can get prices in line with DDRx for the average system, they could rule the enthusiast market and then some.

For now, I agree with the statement that it will be delegated to high-end servers and workstations.

13. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    XDR is used in the PS3 I think and some other things. Its amazing fast and efficient. I wish AMD would adopt XDR in some of their projects. Not sure where it would fit on a mainboard but it could help boost things along.

14. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    xdr ftw! cell cpu's have to use xdr ram otherwise it gets bottlenecked lmao. thats how good xdr is

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok, get this thru your Thick Skulls, GDDR is not the Same as Plain DDR, its a Derivative GDDR4 is on the lines of DDR3 as of technolgy concerns

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    What was slow? RAMBUS? I have to disagree wholeheartedly. In a few instances, it was implemented poorly, but when properly implemented it was faster than anything else available at the time.

It was quite hot tho. lol