• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
hey unclewebb, you should just link members to the information you contained in a PM you sent me ages ago. That sure changed my tune and take on the 45nm architecture in one sweet PM :)

Re: Thermal throttling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think most people don't realize how durable these chips are. 95C is not the thermal shut down point for these chips. That doesn't seem to happen until 125C! The words "holy sh!t" probably comes to mind.

125C is fully documented by Intel for the mobile chips but they don't list anything for the desktop processors so one user did his own testing and sent it to me. He got pretty damn close to that number but his computer would always shut down. Here's his maximum screen shot:

RealTemp was still going strong at a core temperature of 123C while CoreTemp and Everest were badly confused.

Another user has been testing his E8400 lately and found that even when it was so hot that it was thermal throttling, it still continued to run Prime stable even at 99C.

I think these CPUs can take a lot of thrashing without any long term problems. Even crazy overclockers are going to have to work hard to kill one of these chips. As long as you're running stable there is no need to even be concerned about core temperatures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That PM alone took everything I ever thought about Intel CPU's and threw it out the door. Mussels OCCT Linpack test often takes my proc to near 80* and I don't even flinch anymore. Thanks a ton for the insight to a whole new realm of overclocking.

Last edited:

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
What did they do to get those temps, turn off their CPU fans? First one looks like he took off the heatsink altogether (although, it is mighty underclocked).

And if they were to have been pushing 1.4-1.45 volts? How would that work out @ 90+C? What would the life expectancy be?

Too many unanswered questions for me to be pushing more and more volts and more and more heat through my CPU. I'd really like to get 3.8 stable but hitting 80C load core temps in Linpack with 1.36V (1.4 set in BIOS) and still unstable, dunno bout all that!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I believe the first image is a Q with no heatsink, and that is actually the point of thermal throttling, hence why the multi and speed are down.

The second image was by another user and I'm thinking it was without as well. But both show the limits of both 65 and 45nm procs, and the fact that even if you do get to the throttle point, the CPU is still stable. SO it is BIOS settings and OCCT limits that shut the PC down, not the CPU!!!
Of course unstable is still unstable, but it isnt due to temps...lol

Directly about voltage. I have run 1.6ish ( I dont reccomend this to everyone, Every CPU is different) volts through these for benching, no real ill effects, but I do swap parts often. So its all relative to your plans. I can respect keeping a lower OC for longevity, but I really have no such plans for my procs, they are usually 6 months to a year old when I replace them.

Last edited:
System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
I think most people don't realize how durable these chips are. 95C is not the thermal shut down point for these chips. That doesn't seem to happen until 125C! The words "holy sh!t" probably comes to mind.
I beat you with another screenshot. :p

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I had to go back a few pages but here's my favorite test of what an Intel CPU can take.

I wanted to find out what would happen if while I was running a high stress program like Prime 95 Small FFTs that suddenly the fan died. The easiest way to simulate that is to pull the plug out of the motherboard and then go and watch TV.

What happened? Click on the following link to find out. :)

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1093655&postcount=97

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Images like that are what keeps me trying:)

Loved the thermal status...HOT...ummm yeah I'd say.

unclewebb

The good news is that for 3 hours it just flat lined at 98C. When it got a tiny bit hotter, the CPU would automatically drop the multiplier down to 6.0 to start thermal throttling and to reduce the heat. When it cooled off half a degree, it would send the multiplier back up to 9.0 to resume running at full speed. This is happening hundreds of times a second. The Intel Core CPUs do an incredible job of looking after themselves. Just make sure TM2 is enabled in the bios and you'll never have to worry about a CPU fan failing. Many users might not even notice other than their computer might be a little quieter. I could probably game all day without a CPU fan and never hit the thermal throttle.

ganicholson

Does this look OK??

I just finished the calabration testing of my CPU, a q6600 G0. I have posted my results and am wondering about the LARGE difference between the TJMax and my acutal temps. Also, I have had issues with my MCP temp going above 78C, now from what I have read here, this is no issue, or is it?
Is that temp even taken into consideration for any of the alarms stepping etc? Should I even worry about it? Can you please take alook and see if there are any issues with my sensors. I could not get the image to show via the insert pic, so I have attached it

Thanks Much

Glenn :)

Attachments

• Prime95 sensor resultsCut.jpg
    Prime95 sensor resultsCut.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 464

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
I just finished the calabration testing of my CPU, a q6600 G0. I have posted my results and am wondering about the LARGE difference between the TJMax and my acutal temps. Also, I have had issues with my MCP temp going above 78C, now from what I have read here, this is no issue, or is it?
Is that temp even taken into consideration for any of the alarms stepping etc? Should I even worry about it? Can you please take alook and see if there are any issues with my sensors. I could not get the image to show via the insert pic, so I have attached it

Thanks Much

Glenn :)

Load your cores with Orthos/Prime95 CPU stress/Small FFT or Linpack (Apps: LinX, IntelBurnTest, OCCT) and tell us the temps then. IMO the idle temps look too high, unless the ambient temp is like 82F.

Also, fill out your system specs; you can get there through the User CP. Look at the Control Panel on the right hand side.

ganicholson

The tests showen were with prima95, If you look at the top of the far right panel you will see the 98.7 percent load temps, all the way down to the idle. My main question is this, my room temp is 70F, these numbers are with the side panel of the computer open. Which app are you talking about? None of the apps have any CP on the right hand side. I built this system 5 months ago, at that time the CPU temps were being monitored by speedfan, in Vista Ult. I am now running Windows 7 Ult, the temps went up about 10C 2 weeks ago. I sent an email to the manufacture and they came back telling me this:
Dear Sir,

I'm afraid, that Alpine 7 won't be able to bring better temperatures, since the Q6600 has a TDP of 105 Watts, whilst Alpine 7 only brings 90 Watts of cooling performance.

Freezer 7 Pro or Freezer Xtreme should bring a much better performance for your applicatoin.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

After looking my cpu up, I found that the Max rated was 105, but according to INTEL with the stepping enabled the chip only needs 95 watts, since these butthead's did not include this information with thier spec sheet on the cooler, I am turning them in for fraud, and they can sink to the bottom of the earth before I will EVER use any of thier products again.

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4
4 gig Adata PC 800
AC Pro 7 Air cooled
120mm intake fan
1- 80mm exhaust
Asus 9800GT w/512mg DDR3
WD SATA 320GB
Seagate 250 GB PATA 100
ASUS DRW1814-BLT SATA DVD-ROM
Mid Tower
850 Watt Cooler master PS

Glenn

P.S.
1.6 percent load 36, 36, 34, 35. the system has been sitting at these temps for over an hour

Last edited:

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
OK I just noticed that. Your temps are great then.

ganicholson

Thanks, at least now I can use this system without wondering if I am going to fry it. I am still a bit confused on how the calabration is supposed to work. I will read the post again and see if I can get the temps to read correctly.

Thanks again
Glenn:toast:

Linky

Hey unclewebb.

Does RealTemp write any registry intries? Like what folder it got installed to?
If it does, could you tell the reg path for it?

unclewebb

I hate programs that write anything to the registry. In my opinion, the registry is a weak link in Windows so I avoid it.

You can drag the RealTemp folder wherever you like. As long as RealTemp and the WinRing0.dll are in the same directory and you have the necessary permissions to execute files in that directory, RealTemp should run fine.

To get RealTemp to start up with Windows, you either have to drag a link to RealTemp into your Starup folder, add an item to your registry start up area or if you use Vista or Windows 7, you can use the Task Scheduler which gives you full control of items that start up on your computer. I like being in control of the endless junk on my computer. :)

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
I hate programs that write anything to the registry. In my opinion, the registry is a weak link in Windows so I avoid it.

You can drag the RealTemp folder wherever you like. As long as RealTemp and the WinRing0.dll are in the same directory and you have the necessary permissions to execute files in that directory, RealTemp should run fine.

To get RealTemp to start up with Windows, you either have to drag a link to RealTemp into your Starup folder, add an item to your registry start up area or if you use Vista or Windows 7, you can use the Task Scheduler which gives you full control of items that start up on your computer. I like being in control of the endless junk on my computer. :)

Dude, Registry has been the main point of Windows user data storage for YEARS. You still wish they wrote everything to INI files Linux style? IMO with the RAM and processing power in systems these days, the Registry has usurped and surpassed single-file based user data storage.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the advantage to keeping the settings in the folder with the exe, is that they transfer when you move the folder.

You can format, and still keep your settings/calibration etc.

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
the advantage to keeping the settings in the folder with the exe, is that they transfer when you move the folder.

You can format, and still keep your settings/calibration etc.

that's all gone down the shitter these days. you want your system backed up, either the app has an internal way to do it, you backup your entire system/registry, or you start fresh, and take pride and joy in knowing exactly how to set everything the way it was before you nuked it, like a real pro :D

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
I don't like programs with registry entries either. At least for a tiny app like RealTemp is perfect fine as it is now.

unclewebb

Dude, Registry has been the main point of Windows user data storage for YEARS.

Don't worry, I'm not that dumb. I realize that the registry is the center of windows data storage. That doesn't mean it's any good or doesn't have some serious issues. For a simple monitoring utility like RealTemp, it just doesn't make any sense to be storing information in the registry. A single INI file works fine. That way the entire program and all of its data is in one simple file that a user can drag to any location he likes and if he changes his mind a day or a week from now, he doesn't have to worry about uninstalling the program and reinstalling the program and wondering how much junk got left behind in the registry.

Any user can open an INI file and quickly edit an entry without having to worry about screwing up Windows in the process. I guess I learned programming with the Amiga OS that didn't have a registry so I never got in the habit of using a registry. Given that an old 16 MHz Amiga can do a full boot up in less than half the time that a 5 GHz Windows 7 machine can boot up, I'm just not that impressed by the bloated Windows OS and its registry.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i prefer the registry to be used as little as possible. its the main reason you need to format an old OS, is cause the registry gets bogged down and corurpted by bad programmers making bad programs with worse uninstallers.

Processor AMD R5 3600 @4.4GHz
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory PNY 16GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 w/2 Arctic P12 fans
Storage Samsung Evo 250GB & many more
Display(s) ASUS 24" + Acer 24"
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 64
I just came across this TomsHW article about TJ Maxes and I'm just wondering what you guys think of it.

According to this list, my RealTemp temps should be reading 14/12 idle. If it's correct I'd be insanely happy with my Thermaltake V1. :rockout:

unclewebb

That is one misleading document. Intel got a few of them right but when they started releasing data for the old 65nm chips, there was some major confusion. They came out with an updated version after myself and others complained about how absurd their numbers were but even the updated version wasn't much better.

What CPU model do you have?

Processor AMD R5 3600 @4.4GHz
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory PNY 16GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 w/2 Arctic P12 fans
Storage Samsung Evo 250GB & many more
Display(s) ASUS 24" + Acer 24"
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 64
E6750 G0

I've read that the TJ Max is 95 elsewhere

unclewebb

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR

Regardless of what Intel claims, core 0 and core 1 on my Q6600 are TJMax = 100C. Your E6750 and my Q6600 are both G0 Stepping, they have the same CPUID (06FBh) and the Thermal Specification is actually 1C higher for your CPU (72C vs 71C)

I'm pretty sure that TJMax for your CPU is 100C as well.

The best way to test if your choice for TJMax makes sense is to lower your core voltage in your bios as low as it can go and lock it to (6x333) ~ 2000 MHz. You can also enable EIST and C1E in the bios and it should drop down to these settings at idle. Check your voltage core with CPU-Z.

If you're not too far from 1.10 volts, your reported core temperature should be about 6C above your room temperature at idle near your open computer case depending on what heatsink and fan you're using. It usually becomes pretty obvious that 95C is too low.

The fact of life is that TJMax is not a fixed number. Intel says there is some variation from one part to the next but has never told users how much variation there is. Doing my test will help get you in the ball park. Post some screens if you do some testing.

I just updated my RealTemp / RivaTuner plugin tonight for anyone interested in that.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RTCore.zip