• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rebooting during games (no BSoD or dumps)

Yes, my BIOS settings are the defaults. I just got my hands on a COOLMAX CUG-950B (950 W) PSU, and installed it. I'm posting this from the computer in question. I'm going to run the logs and play Path of Exile for a while, and see what happens. I will report back in a bit.
EDIT: Also, after cleaning the computer again earlier, I noticed that the (original) PSU fan was not spinning while the computer was running. Do those not always spin?
Coolmax? Jeez no wonder the voltage is all over the place, Coolmax are absolute junk. lol

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
@Dark_Oppressor You mean the HX850? That's very concerning. AFAIK the HX850 has no technology that allows it to have a semi-passive fan profile.

If that's indeed the case, then we may have found our problem. The PSU may have reached 50 degrees and shut down when components are under load. Only fanless PSUs are designed to operate under load with no fan spinning.

One way to test the PSU (I'm assuming it's out of the case now) is to short the 24-pin. For me, it's very easy because EVGA provides a 24-pin jumper that plugs into the end of the 24-pin and turns the power supply on without actually plugging the PSU into anything but the wall. You can accomplish the same trick with a well-placed paper clip; just don't injure yourself.

EDIT: Never mind. PSU is designed as semi-passive. Fan is probably not the problem. But here's an idea - take your rig out and put it on a table. Then as you fire up a stress test on CPU + GPU, see if the fan starts up. If it doesn't, then maybe it is the problem.

Last edited:
System Name Custom
Processor AMD FX-8350 (8-core 4.0 GHz)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL Sniper Series F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR (8 GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR (GeForce GTX 760)
Storage 2x 750GB SATA drives
Display(s) 3x LCDs
Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) N/A (integrated)
Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series HX850 (850 W)
Mouse Razer Lachesis
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Just to clarify:
The CORSAIR HX850 is my main PSU. Its fan seemed to not be spinning when the computer was running and I checked it earlier tonight. It is currently suspect #1 for my crashing problem.
The COOLMAX CUG-950B is another PSU that was in my wife's computer (which I built about 7 years ago, but I guess I didn't pick a good PSU...) I have swapped the two, and this PSU is now in my computer, and I am testing with it to see if another crash occurs.
So the logs that I posted previously are with the CORSAIR HX850. I will post some logs later tonight for the COOLMAX one.
Let me play a little longer and if it doesn't crash, I'll leave the game running and find out if the HX850 fan spins at all. I have the other computer (that I borrowed the CORSAIR PSU from) open right next to me, and I could actually easily just plug it into that one's mobo and see what it does.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Just to clarify:
The CORSAIR HX850 is my main PSU. Its fan seemed to not be spinning when the computer was running and I checked it earlier tonight. It is currently suspect #1 for my crashing problem.
The COOLMAX CUG-950B is another PSU that was in my wife's computer (which I built about 7 years ago, but I guess I didn't pick a good PSU...) I have swapped the two, and this PSU is now in my computer, and I am testing with it to see if another crash occurs.
So the logs that I posted previously are with the CORSAIR HX850. I will post some logs later tonight for the COOLMAX one.
Let me play a little longer and if it doesn't crash, I'll leave the game running and find out if the HX850 fan spins at all. I have the other computer (that I borrowed the CORSAIR PSU from) open right next to me, and I could actually easily just plug it into that one's mobo and see what it does.

refer to bottom of the post above yours

On a table, you can easily see the fan. Furthermore, if the fan doesn't spin and heat builds inside the PSU, you can feel it rise up through the fan, in the same way that a fanless PSU works.

Just to clarify:
Ah that makes more sense, was wondering why you had Corsair in the specs.
Even so there's a lot of ripple in the graph, not just from the PSU. and the last 20mins show the GPU and CPU are working quite a but harder. At shutdown the power related charts all have a big spike or a drop, including the 12v rail. And the network load went up too. A What were u dong in the last half hour of the game?

System Name Custom
Display(s) 3x LCDs
Mouse Razer Lachesis
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
OK, I just finished playing Path of Exile for about 8.5 hours with no crashes.
I also watched Netflix on another monitor, and had several tabs open in Chrome on a third monitor while playing.
Here are the logs: http://cheeseandbacon.org/temp/log-gpuz-2.txt, http://cheeseandbacon.org/temp/log-hwinfo-2.txt

Pill Monster: During that last half hour in the first test, I was mostly sitting in a town, looking at my stats (it's an action RPG).

I haven't looked at the other PSU any more yet, as I was busy playi-- testing... It's 0430 here now, so I'm going to get some sleep. Tomorrow I will consider testing it, perhaps if you lot think it would still be helpful.
Am I right in thinking that this test seems pretty helpful? The fact that I could play 4 times as long as I ever could in the past without crashing seems to point pretty heavily towards the PSU.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Playing one specific game that tripped your reboot earlier may not be sufficient as a 'test'. It does give some indication, but that's about it.

I'd say, run a bench/test series of Valley or 3DMark a couple times over to really stress your system with the new PSU, especially how it performs at high load. 3DMark also provides some pretty neat data with the bench for monitoring afterwards.

Last edited:
OK, I just finished playing Path of Exile for about 8.5 hours with no crashes.
I also watched Netflix on another monitor, and had several tabs open in Chrome on a third monitor while playing.
Here are the logs: http://cheeseandbacon.org/temp/log-gpuz-2.txt, http://cheeseandbacon.org/temp/log-hwinfo-2.txt

Pill Monster: During that last half hour in the first test, I was mostly sitting in a town, looking at my stats (it's an action RPG).

I haven't looked at the other PSU any more yet, as I was busy playi-- testing... It's 0430 here now, so I'm going to get some sleep. Tomorrow I will consider testing it, perhaps if you lot think it would still be helpful.
Am I right in thinking that this test seems pretty helpful?
Yeah for sure. Power was the main suspect anyway, which u just basically confirmed by swapping out PSU's.

After 8hrs stable you'd be a bit silly to keep fixing the issue when there's nothing to fix.....:)

If it was me I'd call it it a day.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Don't know man, I've been there too, playing for a whole week without anything going wrong, and on day 8 I saw another reboot. I would always put the system under maximum stress with a new PSU/replacement PSU, even a new store-bought one.

If system reboots during load with no BSOD it's PSU issue in 99% of cases. Get an entirely different PSU that can run your system and test with that one. If it works, you've confirmed the remaining 1%...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If system reboots during load with no BSOD it's PSU issue in 99% of cases.
99% ?? Ummm, not in my experience. Often, yes. But it could also be heat. Or sometimes RAM. Or leaky caps. Or any number of other things. No BSOD (or Event Log entries) simply means the crash was so sudden, Windows didn't have time to toss up a error or write a log entry.

Wait! When I said earlier the logs did not state CPU temps, we got a reply saying they never went over 50°C. But I just realized that Pill Monster said that, not Dark_Oppressor. How do you know that, PM?

I ask Dark_Oppressor, what are your CPU temps?

As far as that Coolmax being a good PSU to test with, I think it is an excellent PSU to test with. If your system remains stable with this poorly rated Coolmax PSU, then that would even further suggest the other PSU was your problem.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The Corsair HX850 may be a simple fix with a replacement fan, if that is the only fault.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The link to his CPU temps is in the first post of this thread.
Now I see it. I did not realize the values were jammed together and not under the headings.

Thanks.

99% ?? Ummm, not in my experience. Often, yes. But it could also be heat. Or sometimes RAM. Or leaky caps. Or any number of other things. No BSOD (or Event Log entries) simply means the crash was so sudden, Windows didn't have time to toss up a error or write a log entry.

Unexpected shutdowns are nearly always due to heat or power. No WER or .dmp file means the crash wasn't triggered by the OS, in cases where the CPU throws an MCE before Windows can write a dump, a WER log will be written on the next successful boot.

Leaky caps are pretty much a non event these days as most boards have solid caps..

As far as CPU overheating, the chances of a 4Ghz CPU reaching a shutdown temp of 90c with Turbo enabled while running a game which barely loads 4 cores, is.....extremely unlikely......

Wait! When I said earlier the logs did not state CPU temps, we got a reply saying they never went over 50°C. But I just realized that Pill Monster said that, not Dark_Oppressor. How do you know that, PM?
Because I downloaded the logsheets then converted both to CSV format so I look at them, as I said earlier.

I ask Dark_Oppressor, what are your CPU temps?

As far as that Coolmax being a good PSU to test with, I think it is an excellent PSU to test with. If your system remains stable with this poorly rated Coolmax PSU, then that would even further suggest the other PSU was your problem.

That doesn't make it an excellent PSU. And the more likely scenario would be a system which crashes with 2 different PSU's, making it even harder to diagnose the cause.
"Well hey it shuts down even after we switched PSU's - guess we can rule out the Power Supply - next:"

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That doesn't make it an excellent PSU.
Ummm, I didn't say that.

I said, (and you quoted me!) "excellent to test with". I went on to say, and again you quoted me, "this poorly rated Coolmax PSU".

System Name Custom
Display(s) 3x LCDs
Mouse Razer Lachesis
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
The reason I am testing with Path of Exile is that that's how I've been able to reproduce the crash. I tried running some benchmarkish things (occt, furmark) but they never caused any crashes. However, I think the longest I ran one was 30 minutes, so that may not mean much.

For now, I'm thinking I'm going to just replace the PSU. Now to see if I can get it replaced under warranty... I've never done that before.

Ummm, I didn't say that.

I said, (and you quoted me!) "excellent to test with". I went on to say, and again you quoted me, "this poorly rated Coolmax PSU".
No, it's not, for the reason I stated above. Yes it is poorly rated which is why you don't test with it.
The purpose of swapping hardware is to eliminate a possible faulty part by testing with a KNOWN GOOD component. Not one which may or may not be stable......;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yes it is poorly rated which is why you don't test with it.
Now wait! Now you are trying to spin your original misquote with obfuscation. :(

We are talking about a specific test scenario on the OP's system. His old PSU was suspected of causing problems. Just because that Coolmax model was poorly "rated" under very high load scenarios IN NO WAY suggests it cannot be used to test to see if it causes the exact same problems as the OP's old PSU did.

Of course, if you just happen to have a spare PSU laying around that got a perfect 10 out of 10 you would use that instead. But if not, you use what you can. Swapping in the Coolmax to see if the exact same problem occurs is still a valid test.

System Name Custom
Display(s) 3x LCDs
Mouse Razer Lachesis
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
OK, sorry for the very belated reply, but I wanted to make sure everything was OK before posting again.

I replaced my PSU about a week or two after my last reply (I was able to RMA it). Since then, everything has been great, so I feel pretty confident at this point that the PSU was the problem.
Just wanted to report my results for posterity.

Thanks again for the help, all!

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Great! I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your followup!