1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reccomend USB Ext/Hub

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by m1dg3t, May 28, 2010.

1. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Looking for some help in finding a USB Ext/Hub so i can sit on my couch while playing game's lol It need's to be high speed to work well with my mouse/kb

Thank's!

2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? Sitting on the floor is getting annoying....

3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    First of all, even the worst, slowest USB hub on earth will be more than 1000 X faster than ANY amount of data a keyboard & mouse could possibly ever generate - so no need to waste money on high speed Hubs...

What you really need is ANY old USB hub - (most are USB2 these days anyway), and any old USB extension cable - and Both of these should be available in just about any PC store, just walk in and ask for a USB extension cable & a usb hub.

If all you are hoping to do is extend your keyboard and mouse, then any old cheap hub & extension cable will work just fine.

There would be really no point at all in recommending anything as it really doesn't matter what models you get - anything will be fine if its just for a KBD & Mouse

If you are really serious about ranged gaming perhaps look at one of the higher end cordless Logitech systems

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Thank's for the reply, wireless is not an option. I would like high speed and powered to maintain efficiency of my kb/mouse while gaming....

Guess i'll have to keep on looking :confused:

5. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Just avoid usb 1 hubs at all costs.

Bought this some months ago -

Belkin high speed usb 2.0 4 port black, F5U404-blk
    works fine with mouse, kb, headset + cam, but the cable was
    abit short so i switched it with some usb 1 adapter cable i still had, np.

6. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    AGAIN I have to explain that "High Speed" and keyboard mouse efficiency are a nonsense that does not exist.

Keyboards and mice at MAX generate a few thousand bytes of per second (AND even then only if you are using an INSANELY expensive and super high resolution mouse - with most good gaming mice generating less than a 250 bytes per second)

Even a USB1 Hub (the worst possible kind) can handle roughly a MILLION bytes of information per second.

Even if you had a hundred mice and a hundred keyboards on that hub they would still not be able to use even 1/4 of the bandwidth the hub can handle.

Any cheap crap no matter what - will run your USB keyboard and mouse 100% as well as having it directly connected to your computer.

Hub's only become a bottleneck when you start trying to push DATA through them - and keyboards and mice DO NOT generate data - only a few tiny bytes - with an average keyboard generating less than 10 BYTES per second.

That is possibly why so few ppl have reply's to your question there IS NO "GOOD" HUB, if you ONLY intend to use it to extend your keyboard and mouse - any hub on earth what-so-ever will run exactly the same as any other since it will have to do NO WORK AT ALL if you only have a keyboard and mouse plugged into it.

How well its made or how "fast" it is counts for nothing at all, UNLESS you are actually transferring data through it for example : Connecting hard drives, printers, scanners and so on...

Hope that helps.

m1dg3t says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what bazooka said is right. for a mouse and keyboard, what cable or hub you use is pointless. they're all good enough.

if you start running high powered devices, get a powered USB hub... thats it.

8. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Thank's for the tutorial, guess i'll just have to keep looking for something that suit's my need's then. I'll go powered to be on the safe side....

:toast: