1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

recommended read/write drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by arm and hand, May 20, 2009.

1. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello forum. first time pc builder here. i was hoping that the forum members could offer some recommendations as to a read/write disk drive. you know for installing software and saving date and on read and writeable disks. i would like one that can do reading, writing, reproducing (burning) etc. i would like a brand that the forum members think is reliable and handles all the different media types that disks come in. thanks very much for your assistance.
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you asking for a could cd/dvd burner?

Pretty much anything will do what you want, but a Pioneer or Asus, tends to be a bit quieter in doing so.
  3. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, i need a drive to read disks and write to them and make reproductions (burning). i know that there are different formats for these things, but i understand some drives can handle most anything one is bound to encounter, no?
  4. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    by the way, should it be able to handle blu-ray disks as well? i would like to hear the forum's thoughts on this. thanks very much.
  5. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry, should a read/write/burner/player be SATA or IDE. i have no clue on this one. thanks forum.
  6. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    well ... blue-ray reader or writer is too expensive for every day using at least for now I'd recommend ASUS DVD RW sata..... as more sata ports available in now days motherboards and they'll be easier to do cable management with more than IDE cables ...... and keep your posts professional and use EDIT if you want to add something.
  7. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    "well ... blue-ray reader or writer is too expensive for every day using at least for now I'd recommend ASUS DVD RW sata..... as more sata ports available in now days motherboards and they'll be easier to do cable management with more than IDE cables ...... and keep your posts professional and use EDIT if you want to add something."

Thanks very much for your reply. Does newegg carry anything you would recommend with respect to a ASUS DVD RW sata?
  8. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    couldn't find ASUS DVD RW on newegg but as reference one of those would be good for you as you want to cover wide variety of disks format....they are X multi which cover more disks format in ASUS and both of them are SATA:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Mm0J2IUTl9sTNIXV&templete=2
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=puscWiOs5RKgwv1e&templete=2

also tried tigerdirect but there r no ASUS DVD products but as another option I'd recommended Pioneer as (alexp999) mentioned:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4427932&CatId=1624

found it some kind of more priced than the other brands....

and stay away from LG and SAMSUNG if they're made in china i had both of them and they didn't last for 4 monthes with no heavy duty.
  9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Pioneer make Asus drives hence why I said both.

And @ arm and hand, please dont triple post, edit your first one :)
  10. arm and hand

arm and hand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks forum for all the helpful suggestions.