• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommended Utility: LCD (TFT) test pattern generator

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
On the other hand, if you don't see those pixels without the utility in the first place, why would you care that they're there?

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Isnt that obvious? You buy a new TFT, you check it, if you find something you arent happy with, you return it immediately. You buy second hand e.g. off ebay. The seller said "no pixel faults". You check it out. There are. You demand a refund, discount or raise the issue with ebay/paypal/CC company. No positive response? Negative feedback.

Alternatively, dont bother looking because you dont notice anything on the first day. Perhaps you dont even use it much when you first get it. Some time later, whether day, weeks or months, you notice something. And OMG it is getting on your nerves. Is it new? Was it always there? Why didnt i check?

Dan, some people just aren't as laid back as you. Next thing you are going to tell me is that you are a Senior Moderator on TPU, but you dont overclock :roll:

Isnt that obvious? You buy a new TFT, you check it, if you find something you arent happy with, you return it immediately. You buy second hand e.g. off ebay. The seller said "no pixel faults". You check it out. There are. You demand a refund, discount or raise the issue with ebay/paypal/CC company. No positive response? Negative feedback.

Alternatively, dont bother looking because you dont notice anything on the first day. Perhaps you dont even use it much when you first get it. Some time later, whether day, weeks or months, you notice something. And OMG it is getting on your nerves. Is it new? Was it always there? Why didnt i check?

Dan, some people just aren't as laid back as you. Next thing you are going to tell me is that you are a Senior Moderator on TPU, but you dont overclock :roll:

No it's not obvious, why would you be unhappy with something you can't see. If you never run the program you would never be unhappy in the first place.
And if it takes you months to notice, it's obviously not that easy to spot. If that bothers you I think that's more a part of your personality than an actual issue.

Plus, how exactly is overclocking related to being a forum moderator?

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
1./ Well we differ on that. Dead or stuck pixels require testing each color or nearest neighbour. If you only run a static desktop, or a game, you wont notice it until you have the color on that pixel (or its neighbours) that causes the problem. As soon as you do some DTP or PS work it might be very unwelcome. I think by your lack of interest in the topic, you have never had a bad or stuck pixel.

I'm not trying to convert you Dan. This thread, and the recommended utility, was for people that MIGHT FIND IT USEFUL. I certainly did.

2./ How is overclocking related to being a forum moderator? Well usually, unless they are paid-positions, and I understand here they are not... but perhaps they are... then people who get involved with a forum are "into" the topic, and the TPU forum's most common theme is about pushing your hardware to get the most out of it, which I expressed with a syntactic shortcut of "overclock". It was a light hearted comment. Dont take it to heart. No need to get grumpy or belligerent. I will avoid humour in any threads where you are active. I dont want to suffer the same fate as others.

Last edited:
How is overclocking related to being a forum moderator? Well usually, unless they are paid-positions, and I understand they are not... but perhaps they are... then people who get involved with a forum are "into" the topic, and TPU is at leat 50% about pushing your hardware to get the most out of it, which I expressed with a syntactic shortcut of "overclock". It was a light hearted comment. Dont take it to heart. I hope that was obvious.

So a guard at a bank has to be into banking? Obligations and such? The topic of discussion is completely unrelated to moderation. Being a moderator requires no technical knowledge. However I can agree that it helps a mod status-wise.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Interesting analogy. Most bank guards are not "into" their job, and neither are they good ambassadors for the bank. You certainly wouldn't give them the mike at a PR event.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
LOL. But I hope they dont scare the customers away or they wont have a job next year!

Erm. This is getting awfully off topic. I'm sorry if I started it, Dan. Please close the thread, this is terrible.