• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recover or Reformat?

Kymberly_S

I have put a new hard drive into one of our 'home' computers. It now is the only hard drive in the box. I wish to format it so it can be used as the main hard drive. When I put in the bootable disk that originally came with this computer (have set the comp to boot from disk) a screen appears requesting that I select either: Full Recovery or Exit..

I didn't want to select Full Recovery as this is not what I want to do.. I want to format the hard drive so that the computer can be used.

I don't want to fluff it all up so before I go further I thought I would ask here and check.

Thanks Guys.

Namslas90

Actually the OEM disk you are using is asking if you would like to "Recover the computer to the way it was when purchased", or exit.

So yes, select "FULL Recovery".

It will probably ask if you are sure or not becuase it will "completley erase all data on the HDD". That one is easy.

Have fun!!

Kymberly_S

Thanks for that. I have done this a few times but still choke when it comes to the 'moment'..

I dunno if it is going to be fun.. probably not.. which is why I don't do it too often..

I appreciate your help hey.. Here goes...!

Kymberly_S

The reformat won't budge?

I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
i use nortn ghost to recover my files

Kymberly_S

Norton Ghost?

I am sorry.. I have no idea what that is.. I am pretty green I'm afraid.

I wasn't trying to recover any files.. I wanted to format a new drive in an old computer.. The old drive died.

I did what Namslas90 said but then when I got to the next step .. and hit enter.. nothing happened.. sigh...

Anyway.. I am waiting on the next step.. Thank you for your input ...

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
could you format the drive in another computer?

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
Goto the website of you hard drives manufacturer and download their utility (usually a disk)to mount the hard drive (format)

Exemple: I have a Western Digital HDD, i went and downloaded the "Data life guard tools" and it created a boot disk so i could use that to format my drive because windows would not recognise it.

dirlan

Processor AMD Phenom x4 - 9850@3009 Mhz JAAFB AA 0812BPMW
Motherboard Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe (no WiFi) BIOS 1202
Cooling XSPC + EK Waterblocks, XSPC DDC-1 Acrylic reservoir top, Feser F1 Acid Green
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 4x2GB
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire HD3850
Storage Samsung HD082GJ - 80GB - 2x (RAID1)
Display(s) Samsung 223BW
Case Yeong Yang Cube
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 600W
Software Win XP PRO x64
I have put a new hard drive into one of our 'home' computers. It now is the only hard drive in the box. I wish to format it so it can be used as the main hard drive. When I put in the bootable disk that originally came with this computer (have set the comp to boot from disk) a screen appears requesting that I select either: Full Recovery or Exit..

I didn't want to select Full Recovery as this is not what I want to do.. I want to format the hard drive so that the computer can be used.

I don't want to fluff it all up so before I go further I thought I would ask here and check.

Thanks Guys.

Hi,

Ypou might want to get this program to extract the OS from that recoverydisk. Then start setup and partition, format as you like .....

Cheers,

Dirk

Kymberly_S

slaving?

could you format the drive in another computer?

Do you mean, slave the second HD up to another computer..? Can I format it that way? I am not sure so I have to ask a lot of questions..

Thanks.

Kymberly_S

Hi,

Ypou might want to get this program to extract the OS from that recoverydisk. Then start setup and partition, format as you like .....

Can you start set up and partition from a new 'empty' HD? Then boot up from a disk.. Is this what you mean? (thanks)

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Do you mean, slave the second HD up to another computer..? Can I format it that way? I am not sure so I have to ask a lot of questions..

Thanks.

yea that is what i meant. not to sure if it would work but could always give it a go.

Kymberly_S

one more thing

I have installed a new power box prior to the new hard drive if that makes any difference?

Dude, just get a new Windows disk or whatever OS u are using, install it, use your CD-key and that should solve it...

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
I have installed a new power box prior to the new hard drive if that makes any difference?

You mean a Power Supply Unit (PSU)?
i don't think putting in a new PSU will affect the HDD apart from powering it.
i can't think of why the "next" button is greyed out..... it could be one or both of these things: 1. the recovery program doesn't like the new HDD if its a different size than the original that came with your PC when you bought it
2. it's the wrong disk you've inserted.
Ahh i've thought of a 3rd. maybe the program in the CD is checking for previous instances of Windows and won't proceed without some sort of file recognition.

Slaving the new HDD and formatting it is not a problem if you can do it.

Kymberly_S

Have done that

Hi,
Thanks for your response hey.

I have the original disks and am trying to install. I get to a point (from previous reply)
------
I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?
-------
And the keyboard worked for the first step but when I was meant to hit Enter on the keyboard nothing happened. The OK didn't highlight.. nothing..

Am kinda stuck..

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Crosshair viii Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z 73 my corsair H115i kicked the bucket corsair sucks lol
Memory g-skill rgb 64gb 4x16gb ddr4 3200mgz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x oc 3080
Storage Sabren rocket gen 4 2tb m.2/ samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/ 3x toshiba 3tb hdd , 10tb seagate, 16tb seagat
Display(s) Acer 4k monitor/ Samsung C34J79x 34 inch curved monitor
Case thermal take view 71 rgb
Audio Device(s) creative ae-5 sound card
Power Supply corsair AX 1200i 1200 watt psu
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
Software windows 11 pro 64bit
when you put in the recovery disk try pushing tab key and see if that high lights the ok butten if it does press enter

Kymberly_S

invalid system disk

I started again.
Booted from disk.. This time a message came that said.

Invalid system disk. Insert correct disk and press any key to continue.

This is the first time I have seen this. So I checked the disk and it is the right one.

It is the set that came with the computer.

So I tried it again and the same thing happened.

THEN I took the disk out and booted the computer (no disk) and the message came up again.

THEN I scratched my head (didn't help) and pushed the button that opens the CD drive but it wouldn't open..

(I hate being the one that does the fixing here)

One Question.

Is there any way I can format the drive by slaving it to another computer. Formatting it in a way that will allow it to be the Master Drive of another computer (essentially, the one I am trying to fix) ??

Thanks for all your help guys.

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Yes, you can set it up as a slave & format that way. After installing it as slave & booting into the master, go to "my computer", choose the slave drive, right click & one of the choices will be "format". Hope that helps.

dirlan

Processor AMD Phenom x4 - 9850@3009 Mhz JAAFB AA 0812BPMW
Motherboard Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe (no WiFi) BIOS 1202
Cooling XSPC + EK Waterblocks, XSPC DDC-1 Acrylic reservoir top, Feser F1 Acid Green
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 4x2GB
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire HD3850
Storage Samsung HD082GJ - 80GB - 2x (RAID1)
Display(s) Samsung 223BW
Case Yeong Yang Cube
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 600W
Software Win XP PRO x64
Can you start set up and partition from a new 'empty' HD? Then boot up from a disk.. Is this what you mean? (thanks)

Hi,

I mean, after extracting the OS, you can burn it to a CD/DVD and use it like any other setup-CD. Which gives you the possibilities to partition, format etc whatever disk needed....

Dirk

Kymberly_S

sounding better & better

OK.. Thanks for your support.

I have to get on with some other things here so will leave it till later on 2night and work it out then.

Sorry it is taking so long. I haven't touched the inside of a computer for a while..

Thanks again.

Kymberly_S

re slaving the HD

Following your advice.. The HD I am trying to slave up.. cont.

It is a Western Digital and the ends on the hard drive are different from the ends on the Master Drive in my other computer. The cord on the one I am trying to slave goes from the HD straight into the Mother board. (as it does in it's original computer) (little grey thin cord with different ends)

I have slaved it to a computer that has the needed connection on the Mother board BUT the computer is not recognizing the 2nd HD?

I have re set the jumpers and re booted, but the computer still wont pick it up.

An old HD (that doesn't work) has the jumper settings written on the circuit board but the Master HD (HD 1 in computer I am using to slave) and the Western.D. HD I am trying to hook up don't have the jumper settings written on the board.. Is it all the same across the board (pardon the pun)...

Just to re cap.. I am trying to format the 'new HD' so I can put it into a computer to use as the Master Drive..

Please check prior posts in this query as to what I have been trying to do. I can not boot the new HD up from the disks as it gets to a certain spot and freezes.

Thank you in advance.

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
The manufacturer's website should be able to show you the jumper settings.