• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

recovering data from a failed hdd

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So why does putting it in a freezer work? How?

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Hey there I seen your post and thought to give my own opinion.

I just so happen to do this stuff for a living and see many types of drive failure on a daily basis.

Unfortunately in your case if the drive is not seen by the laptop at all and upon hooking it up to your own system, the POST and whole functioning of the system is extremely slow then you most likely have a hardware fault in the drive. NO SOFTWARE will fix a hardware fault be it the motor, the controller board, the heads, etc..

If you use one of the software mentioned aren't successful and then wish to try a professional service, they are more than likely NOT going to be able to get the data. When you use those 3rd party applications, it puts a lot more unnecessary stress on the drive and causes it to degrade more.

If it were a case of you accidently formatting or erased something sure those programs are great. Even in the event of several bad sectors and the drive still works, you can access it, there isn't any weird clicking or buzzing sounds, then yes those software applications are lifesavers.

Your case is hardware and I would get an evaluation done on the drive to see what it would cost to get the data. I know for us it ranges from $450-$1700 depending on the condition of the drive and what has to be done to get the data back if at all.

You can look into the controller board as noted but keep in mind that just because you have the exact same model and firmware the controller board and the BIOS/Firmware on that controller board could be different.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
The only hope is changing the board. Freezer does not work. There are many examples why on youtube and other places why. But basically when metal drops below ambient temps its starts to sweat and moisture in the air forms condensation. Then the head runs threw the water destroying your data. Its doesn't matter if you put it in a bag or seal it in something else its still going to sweat as soon as it hits warm air

The motor speeds are all over the place because the board has a short. You could try to re flow the board

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Put the HDD in the freezer overnight. Then boot up a Parted Magic Live disk and check the disk health, and see if you can access the partition from there.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. As noted though, try changing the circuit board first.

The only hope is changing the board. Freezer does not work. There are many examples why on youtube and other places why. But basically when metal drops below ambient temps its starts to sweat and moisture in the air forms condensation. Then the head runs threw the water destroying your data. Its doesn't matter if you put it in a bag or seal it in something else its still going to sweat as soon as it hits warm air

The motor speeds are all over the place because the board has a short. You could try to re flow the board

Jetster, you have a very important statement there. Now I have had both luck and no luck freezing hard drives in the past. However what I did find, and have had more luck since, is getting a plastic container, putting ice in the container, putting the hard drive in, and filling the rest of the container with ice. Hook a SATA cable to the drive during this process and poke a hole in the end of the container just big enough to run the SATA cable through before filling the remaining area with ice. Now take that entire container and put in the freezer overnight. The next day take that entire container out leaving the hard drive in the ice. Now just open the side of your system, plug the SATA cable into your system and boot the system.
Having the drive surrounded by ice will reduce heat and give that extra time to attempt to recover the important data.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Jetster, you have a very important statement there. Now I have had both luck and no luck freezing hard drives in the past. However what I did find, and have had more luck since, is getting a plastic container, putting ice in the container, putting the hard drive in, and filling the rest of the container with ice. Hook a SATA cable to the drive during this process and poke a hole in the end of the container just big enough to run the SATA cable through before filling the remaining area with ice. Now take that entire container and put in the freezer overnight. The next day take that entire container out leaving the hard drive in the ice. Now just open the side of your system, plug the SATA cable into your system and boot the system.
Having the drive surrounded by ice will reduce heat and give that extra time to attempt to recover the important data.

Hmmmm :rolleyes: How about nitrogen in a styrofoam box and run the cables out. So you get the data before it has a chance to sweat