• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reformat questions

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Processor AMD Athlon x2 4200+ @ 2.61ghz
Motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA
Cooling 1x250mm (side), 2x120mm (one front and back), 6000+ stock cooler
Memory 3Gb Corsair value select PC2-4200 (2x512mb and 2x1gb))
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Storage 320gb Seagate Baracuda / 160gb western digital
Display(s) ASUS 19" widescreen LCD. 1440x900
Case Apevia Jupiter-JR S-Type
Audio Device(s) on-board. Audigy died D;
Power Supply Ultra 600W X-pro
Software Vista Home Premium
Hey guys, I got a pretty nasty virus on my computer at the moment and need to reformat...

How does the backup feature work? I got some archived files on my secondary from a while back just in case. Everything seems to be in winrar folders. Does windows unpackage them all after you do a clean install and click restore? Will games still be considered "installed" or do I have to load them all back on one by one in disc form? If I back up my files now..would the virus get packaged with everything and just come back when I restore everything?

I also hear that the windows anytime upgrade CD is basically a full image of windows. I KNOW this computer came with one but I just can't seem to find the damn thing..
I'm more experienced with macs in the storage department sadly..in the print lab, Macs are essential. I can set up a server with multiple hard drives and use the same OSX image for 40+ computers..

What are my options? Halp!!!

T

twilyth

If you pointed windows to the secondary drive when you set up the backup, then you should be able to boot from the cd, tell it you want to do a restore (don't remember the menu sequence), and it will automatically look for the backup for you.

Of course if you've had the virus since prior to the last backup, then you'll just be reinstalling the virus. If you have the backup set to run on a schedule (usually daily I think), then that probably won't help you.

You might want to take a step back and run something like Avira from flash drive after dl'ing it. I would try to do this from another computer. Actually, Malware bytes is probably the best first choice and it's free. I think Avira gives you 60 days for the free trial plus there is a free version. However full protection involves some tweaking so you probably would want to go with something like Kaspersky. Don't know if they have a free trial.

If that doesn't get rid of the virus (possible but unlikely), then I would worry about doing a reinstall.

If it comes to that and you can't use the backup, all of your files will still be in the backup assuming the default is to backup the whole partition. Again, can't remember. But I would try excising the virus first.

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Actually come to think about it, the virus is buried in the registry stuff which is only found in the main windows files correct? The only other problem I am having is Firefox getting redirected to some unknown site whenever I search in google/bing/etc (strangely enough..all these issues started right after I downloaded firefox 10..). and I get a blue screen anytime I try to install ANYTHING. At one point today I couldn't get it pass the loading windows screen without a BSOD...

I also just remembered that I do have a fairly recent backup on my portable HDD. (couple months ago)
I always thought there was some type of DRM on windows making it non-functional when copied?
I just want to do a clean install. Where do I acquire an image for installation. I have the CD-key on the OEM case.

T

twilyth

If by OEM, you mean Microsoft, you can probably just call them and get a download link. I don't know, I subscribe to technet so I just dl from there. But MS tech support should be able to help you.

If by OEM you mean the manufacturer of your PC, that's a different story - or at least could be. Those copies are part of bulk licensing deals and I'm not sure if MS will be able to do anything for you, but it's worth a shot.

I honestly don't know of any place where you can dl a legit copy as just a random anonymous user.

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Ok so I found the disc!
It is a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" DVD. Does anyone know if I can use this for a clean install on a formatted disk? Which key will I need if it's possible? The product ID under system properties, or the CD key on my case. (can't recall if they are different)

Going to try a few more things before I wipe my main drive clean. Gonna backup all my music/videos/games to my portable and test this out on my secondary drive.