1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remember to do maintenance of cases....

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by johnspack, Mar 21, 2013.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I've had my Antec 1200 for a few years now. Started having weird issues with my computer, didn't know why. Today I ripped it apart, and found 3 seized fans... oops. After much contact cleaner, and many squirts of sewing machine oil, I got all fans operational again. Dropped my old i7 into the 30s at idle with my oc, and my 480 is hovering at 40. Haven't put the panels back on yet, I expect lower temps. I brushed out my case, and all the drive bays as I removed them, left a pile of dust on the floor. Just a heads up!

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You can put a lot of stress on the fans on the Antec 1200 if you don't clean out the filters regularly. The filters will create a lot of back pressure when dust starts to build up putting more stress on the motor.

Cheers for the reminder. :toast:

3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I clean my filters once a month with dish soap and water. Because I'm a smoker, I've actually had to use commercial degreaser a couple of times to really do the job. Yes, I know....

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The advantage of loud fans is you can tell when they're having problems/not working. XD

jgunning says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's probably a good idea to replace those new fans after what they've been through. I'd recommend some quality brand with FDB bearings, which will make pleasant noises instead of annoying ones.

You're a brave man to admit your terrible habit has choked your fans. :laugh: :toast:

6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Turns out my gtx260 physx card has a bad fan too... had to remove it until I service that now. Dam. But now my computer is more quiet than I've heard it in years. Really quiet... wow, so that's what it's like!

7. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    once upon a year i demount all my components from my case and all plastics / cables then i wash with high pressure water all the chassis.

I wait 1 day until the chassis dry up then rebuild all cleaning all the dust with papers and water .

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If you contact Antec they might even send you some replacements, even more so if the case is in warranty still.

Since i stopped using a case my comps been real easy to clean as the cpu fans are held on with rubber grommets and the GPU fans are on a MK-13 bracket.

9. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I constantly tinker with all my stuff, and do weekly maintenance to keep dust down in the room and inside cases, heatsinks, etc so I usually don't have to worry about stuff like this.

It's a good reminder for some people. I know a lot of older folks who don't know that you need to clean your PC. Also know some so called enthusiasts who do not clean their gaming rigs either.

10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the time (or the need) to clean my rig every week. It's more like a monthly occurrence for me. I also have filters all over my case so all I usually have to clean are the filters. I can usually wait half a year to clean out the inside the the case with a monthly clean up of the filters.

11. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I have air filters everywhere and grills, all i have to do is wipe the noticable dust on the outside once every couple of months. Took my graphics cards out to do a routine clean, and they were still clean!

12. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Eeek dust filters... Throw them out
    Cleaning my place regularly works for my computer.

13. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't NEED to clean weekly, but after living with some truly horrible slobs in college I have made it a habit to keep my personal space clean. 15-20 mins isn't much every week for me.

14. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    I have my girlfriend clean everything and do laundry. That way, dust don't collect on my computer and I have more time to play WoT. I also hear less complaints from her because she's got something to do :)

15. caleb

Thanks Received:
    I prefer techtard way. Seems cheaper to me ^^

16. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    How is it cheaper than having someone cook and clean while you're playing video games?

17. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    +99999999999999999999999999999

also the reason we get a wife :toast:

18. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    i 2nd that. I totally noticed the difference in the color of dust between the 6870 i traded and the 7770 i recieved from a non smoker :eek: :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    I'm elbow-deep in my pc at least once a week tinkering with something. When doing that, I do a visual inspection of everything inside. With the monthly cleaning I give my filters, I haven't had to actually clean my PC since building it. I do, however, brush a little visible dust off of components here and there. Aside from that, I have not had to disassemble the computer and give it a thorough cleaning, my chipset fan and GPU fans are all free of dust.
    Filters are a lifesaver!

20. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    With hardwood floors, dog with very short hair and filters I don't see a lot of dust. I takes about 6 months to even get the filters dirty

21. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Think I'll go start cleaning my case fans and laptop cooler. Anyone got a preference for what kind of lubricant to use?

22. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I use non-detergent 30W motor oil on my fans if the bearings run dry. I've had remnants of a quart of it for years after using most of it on electric air compressor motors. I don't take them apart unless they have slowed down or make noise, as it's damn near impossible to seal them back up unless you use something like strips of Scotch lint roller sheets (really sticky) or duct tape. Note that some fans have atypical bearings that may not be serviceable, e.g. the old Cooler Master Rifle Bearing fans I had circa 2004.

SaltyFish says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. All I've got easily available are cooking oils and WD-40. I wonder if anyone did a test on various lubricants for fans: WD-40, various types of cooking oils, various grades of motor oils (SAE 60, anyone?), or even KY Jelly. Something like what Hardware Secrets does for thermal compounds.