1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacing a Motherboard on Vista

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Reinvent, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys, I just signed up. Well my Question is, I have a Pre-Built PC, and I bought an ASUS P5K-E Wi-Fi Edition. I want to install this motherboard. Is it just plug-n-play? I really dont want to go through the hassle of Re-formating the HDD's then installing again, etc. So basically, how do I replace a motherboard on a Vista Pre-Built?

2. Duxx Guest

You dont have to remove anything from the case, just unplug it all from where its at, be sure and remember where it it all goes if u dont have all the manuals for everything. Take CPU/FAN off and connect to newboard. Make sure that you have your spacers underneath again, and there are enough to hold board up, not sure the config of your old mobo.

3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reinvent says thanks.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good mobo.

That said.. without details of your prebuilt, we dont know much about how to help you here.

Most of us would just throw the hardware together, format, and reinstall windows. If you dont have a windows install disk you could be in trouble.

Reinvent says thanks.
  5. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    actually if you bought a Prebuilt Vista PC you are going to have to reinstall your OS. Almost all prebuilts have OEM Vista installed so it will only work on THAT motherboard. Meaning if you switch out boards with out reformatting Vista will ask you for activation with in 10-30days. Im not sure what happends after the 10-30days maybe your computer will sprout legs and run away but for the most part you are either going to have to buy Vista either retail(both 32bit and 64bit installs on any computer $200-300) or OEM (either 32bit or 64bit installs only one motherboard $99-200)

Reinvent says thanks.
  6. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dang! Well, Currently I have a 8600GT xXX Edition, a Pentium D 935 @ Stock 3.2 GHz Dual-Core, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2-800, set at 667MHz because of crappy mobo, D945GCL M-ATX stock mobo, Raidmax RX630A-630W PSU, Stock HDD, then Added 320GB Sata 2 Seagate. My Pre-Built doesnt come with a Vista CD Sadly, But do I need to throw in the Mobo, format and reinstall? Cant I just install, and keep everything the same?

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no, because the vista you have is locked to the motherboard.

Only thing i see there, your old mobo is a M-atx - you DO have a full sized case, yes? the P5K-E is not a micro board, its quite large.

Reinvent says thanks.
  8. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, Activation, I have the 24-25 Digit Product key, is that all I need for activation?

9. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I put the pre-built into an Antec 900.

10. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    WRONG!!! i run a shop and i see this all the time.

YOU CAN REACTIVATE VISTA ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BOARD. i have done it more times than i can remember.

all you have to do is get the machine to boot up and install the drivers... then call microsofts 1800 number and go through reactivation. when they ask you the magic question " has this copy of windows been installed on more than one computer?" you say NO, my motherboard died and i just reinstalled, can you reactivate it for me? they will give you the reactivation code(code=long, long, long) but WRITE IT DOWN PEOPLE!!! it's the same code every time you have to reactivate. i have reactivated my OEM vista over 40 times on a ton of different equipment.

Reinvent says thanks.
  11. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:

What is Microsofts 1800 number? Where can I get it?

12. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    when you reactivate, it will tell you. it's like 1-877-462-XXXX. you'll be talking to some one in india that knows nothing about computers at all. (no offense anyone)

Reinvent says thanks.
  13. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    lmao, Ok, so I install my motherboard without un-installing, or reformatting anything, put in my 25 digit product key, then I'll get a phone number, and I cal it to fully re-activate Vista 32 bit?

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it gives a different number depending on your regional settings (australia = not the same as USA)

Anyway, ok on the reactivation - he has no install disk. how does he fix THAT.

Reinvent says thanks.
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    assuming it boots, yes that works. Windows doesnt always like moving between mobos without a reinstall.

I dont think it will hurt to try, however - if it bluescreens or hangs, reboot for one more try and if that fails just go back to the old mobo while we figure it out.

Fitseries3 and Reinvent say thanks.
  16. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly what I was hoping someone said, that I could always go back to the old mobo, and figure it out then. But I did get a suggestion telling me to un-install current chipset drivers?

17. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    you wont have to retype the cd key. i cant promise it will work. it really depends on your hardware. and yes.... you WILL need the dvd. i must have looked over that.

you'll need the dvd because...
    1. you may have to correct any problems that prevent you from booting into windows
    2. if you have to... you'll need it to reinstall
    3. windows may need some files from the install disc

im not gonna say how to exactly but... there are ways of getting a RTM vista dvd online. you can borrow one from a friend.

sorry mussels.... didn't mean to be an ass. i was just saying that it does work.

18. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, Well can I put a copy of windows on some disks? I heard of, " Backup Discs?"

19. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    if it wont boot into windows the first time boot into safe mode and install the chipset drivers.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    vistas backup disks backup everything BUT the operating system, in order to prevent piracy through backups.

PM me and i can give you help acquiring a disk to use.

Reinvent says thanks.
  21. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    depending on the old boards chipset... going to an intel chipset would boot right up. now that wouldn't be true if you were upgrading to a nvidia or ati chipset.

Reinvent says thanks.
  22. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    So its impossible to do this without a Vista DVD?

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    not impossible, but the odds are against you.

Reinvent says thanks.
  24. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    no but your really risking it to not have one. you'd just be without a computer until you got one.

honestly.... im assuming your current board has an intel 945 chipset and your going to a p35 chipset? it WILL work without any problems at all 98% of the time. even if you have a different intel chipset it will still work the same.

Reinvent says thanks.
  25. Reinvent

Reinvent New Member

Thanks Received:
    MMk, how so? What is the exception here? How can it work without a disk? Like, an example.