1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RMA of a gigabyte 7970

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trinimoses, Jan 13, 2014.

1. trinimoses New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am new to the forums.. I bought 2 7970s off of amazon early last year and one of them seems to have suffered a burnt out VRM.

I was wondering how difficult the RMA process is with Gigabyte. I dont live in the US, but i got a relative living in New York that i can send the card too and he would ship it to them

Any advice would be greatlly appericated.

Vario says thanks.
  2. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    It is better to save some money and buy another. The "headache-free" way!

Happy New Year!

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    WHAT? If it is covered under warranty then it should only be the shipping fee for a new card. Gigabyte goes by serial number so it should be good as long as the serial number is within the time. I would go ahead and RMA the card and have it shipped to your relative in NY

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. trinimoses New Member

Thanks Received:
    :( I already bought a replacement 280x.. but its annonying to have a card that is less than one year old doing nothing but being a paper weight.

5. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    RMA the bad card for sure, and you'll get a new card for the cost of shipping. Then you can sell the replacement or sell the newer 280x, whichever you prefer. I think I'd keep the 280x ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    So I take it you plan to RMA the card since it is a no-brainer... Are you just wanting to see if you are in for a huge pain in the ass with GB RMA service? I would say at least it isn't ASUS RMA as I see an ungodly amount of posts on their service ( GB not so much - hopefully a good sign :) )

7. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    GB RMA=AWESOME. A little slow, and they could do a better job with communications. but those are MINOR complaints.
    You do realize how valuable those cards are, especially here in the USA?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Its easy, I am RMA'ing my Gigabyte 7970 3GB OC right now. They "tested" it with furmark and 3dmark11 and said its okay then sent back which was dumb because it crashes while idling most of the time. I plugged it in and crashed a half hour later with same issue. Then called the phone number and they emailed a prepaid shipping label and said "send it in, we'll give you a new one". Then I sent it in. So it costs about $8-15 to ship it to them insured, then you have to wait about a month, then hopefully new card.

I am located in the US so its not too hard.

Gigabyte's warranty is 3 years. You use their website and enter the serial, it tells you if its in warranty. The serial is on top/back side of card near the PCI slot area.

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Yup, Gigabyte's RMA service is average. Nothing spectacular as far as processing time, but they wont hassle you for the exchange. Definitely send to your relative in NY and have them process it for you.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Best thing about it is the fact that they give you 3 years on the serial number, not the original purchaser, so you can't really get burned as bad buying used. Great for saving serious money on motherboards/videocards that are 1 year old, then you still have 2 year coverage with a discount.