1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROM and HD on same IDE?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by kithen, Jun 17, 2007.

1. kithen New Member

Thanks Received:
    A simple question really, can I set a Hard Drive as my master on a IDE chain and set the CD-ROM to the slave? My motherboard only has 1 IDE slot. The motherboard is an ASUS M2R32-MVP, and the processor is an AMD 3800+. THanks in advance for any info.

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can, I did it on my third computer I ever had.

kithen says thanks.
  3. kithen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I hooked the Harddrive up to the master and the CD-ROM as the slave and the bios is not detecting the primary drive.

4. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    as Ben Clarke said, you can. but it will slow it down, so if you can avoid it, use a separate channel for each device!

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Double check your jumpers, is it a ide 80 cable?

6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    It will only slow it down if you connect the CD-ROM as Master. The speed is set by the Master of the IDE channel. I had a harddrive and a DVD-ROM connected on the same IDE channel and it ran at full speed as long as the harddrive was set as master.

7. kithen New Member

Thanks Received:
    how do i check if it is an ide 80 cable?

8. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Count.

Its also a much finer cable (because theres 80 in the same place)

Once you see the difference for the first time you should be able to tell them apart really easily.

kithen says thanks.
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Count the wires ;) There are either 40 or 80. If you see both cables you can identify the cables in seconds the next time, the difference is quite notable. (80 pin cable has thinner wires)

You might need to set the drive as master with slave present instead of single.

10. DHC120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    iNquiring Newbie Needs to kNow

Thought I was losing what's left of my mind:confused:.
    I have 39 Pin/80 wire gray cables and 39 pin/40 wire gray cables..
    What is the difference? (Yeah, I know--forty wires-- now that the wise-azzed comment is out of the way :laugh: )
    Also, I have 40 pin/40 wire gray cables..
    Could someone 'splain the uses and differences in these three types of cables?:banghead:
    I sure would appreciate it.:respect:
    Thanks.
    Chas.
    PS I've been told that the "long end" of the cable MUST attach to the IDE slot on the MoBo with the middle connector attached to the "slave" (CD) and the end connector attached to a "Master" (HDD).. Problem.. IDE0 on MoBo is two inches away from HDD, CD is eighteen inches away at the top of the case... the only way the cable can connect is to have the "long end" plugged into the CD, the middle plug (which is closer to the "Master" plug) to the HDD and "short end" (aka CD Master end) plugged into the IDE0 slot.. Do the electrons really care which direction the cable is facing??

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  11. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    The long end MUST be connected to the Motherboard, however where the others are place doesn't matter as long as you set them both as Cable Select, however which ever is on the end connector will set the speed of the entire channel, so you really want the HDD on the end, and the Optical on the Middle.

Oh, and the difference is that the 80 wire cable can obtain faster speeds because the extra wires are used as insulation from the other 40. The older 40 wires ones can't get to as high speeds as the 80s because you get interference between the wires and you end up with corrupted data.

12. DHC120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    DarkNova;
    I appreciate the reply.. Thanks.
    What is the actual reasoning (logic?) behind the "long end MUST be connected..." to the board?
    Also, "Cable Select" is Greek to me.. I do understand that both HDD & CD need to be set (jumpered) to "CS", but that is the total sum of my very limited knowledge.. anything special required in the BIOS set-up?, etc.?
    I like faster and uncorrupted data.. so, 80 wire cables it is..
    Chas.

13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    When using Cable Select, the position on the cable determines Master and Slave. The one on the very end is the Master drive, the one in the middle is the Slave. Set your drives to CS, put the Hard Drive on the end of the cable, and the Rom in the middle.

As for the reasoning behind the long end being on the board, I have no idea. lol. I'd kinda like to know as well.

14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    that always bugged me because if you think about the setup, the IDE connector on the mobo is almost always toward the bottom. so the first connector should be master and the one on the very end should be slave, considering the HDD is on the bottom and the CDROM is on the top.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I never found it to be a particularly wise design either.

Has anyone here tried running an IDE cable backwards? I wonder if it would work. I never tried it, myself.

16. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah of course it works...
    it just doesnt allow you to attach that second drive because the cable wont reach

17. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    So how does it know which drive is on which plug when using cable select?

18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea, but it is essentially renders part of the cable useless.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Just beware too, if you have one set to master and one to slave you have to connect em up the correct way or it won't pick up both drives.

You are much better off setting both drives to CS and putting the HDD on the end of the cable, cd rom in middle and long end on MB...

20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have tried running an IDE cable backwards, it doesn't work properly. I've done it in a number of PCs and they wont pick up what's on the middle slot.

And if you want to know why, it's because the end and the middle only have half the wires going to it. Where as the long end has ALL the wires going to it. So you lose functionality on the middle slot if you run the cable the other way around because there are no wires running to the end slot. Think of it like the wires split off to go to each plug and you actually have 2 seperate cables.

Also, Cable Select is CS.

21. DHC120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused by this stuff..

DarkNova;
    In my recent and on-going searches, I read that on 80 wire IDE cables, every "odd" wire is a ground on some and every "even" wire is a ground on others.. The idea behind these ground wires is to eliminate "noise" to/from the drives, but there seems to be no "standard" on how these cables are wired and this little fact sounds like it could result in folks having HDD and Board "problems", especially a builder installing a used hard-drive who may not have the "factory issued" compatable cable.. I wonder what damaged that might cause builders?
    How many of us have built a "bitsa computer"? You know.. bits of this and bits of that.. just whatever we had or could scrounge.. How many of those "Bitsa's" worked perfectly on first power-up?
    Chas

22. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Modern cables have 1 wire disconnected in the middle and connected to another on the far end to make cable select work. This is why turning the cable around won't work flawlessly. Older cables don't have this.

Cuzza says thanks.
  23. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    My very first PC was a "bitsa" PC, my server running 2k3 is a "bitsa" server. All ran perfectly on first boot. All use IDE, no problems what so ever.
    We have sheds full of computer bits from PCs dating back decades. I could actually build about 3 socket A PCs right now if I wanted lol. We also have an old 386 somewhere. All would work with no problems. I've even raided the old PCs that my old school threw out for parts.

24. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    It can be done, but its not advisable :(