1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Running Too Hot To Overclock. Fan Won't Change Speeds.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AWPtic, Feb 1, 2010.

1. AWPtic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, everyone... Let me tell you my specs before I begin explaining my problem :)

Windows XP Home Edition
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
    Motherboard - Intel Corp. DP965LT
    Video - GeForce 8600 GT
    Ram - 4 gigs

Ok... So here's my problem... I'm wanting to overclock my cpu, but I checked out the temperatures of everything, and it looks like everything is running too hot. When it's just idling it sits around 60 degrees celcius, then when I play a game like Bioshock it'll shoot up to around 90. I checked my fan speed and it's usually around 1930 rpm (never goes above 1980 or so), and it's capable of going to 8000 rpm. So, I went to the BIO settings and tried to fix it (btw, I have upgraded to the latest version of BIO settings that I could find). I went to the Fan Control settings and there were 3 different things I could change: Processor Zone Response (Aggressive, Normal, Slow); Processor Zone Damping (High, Normal); Automatic Fan Detection (Next Boot, Disable, Always). I've played around with those settings and nothing seems to speed up the fan. Then, I went to the (I think it's called this) Hardware Monitor settings, and everything was locked so I couldn't manually change the settings that way. I have used SpeedFan and for some reason it will not change anything. I don't think it can edit nor view most things, because when it's doing that little startup detection process, all of the addresses (ex: $2D, $49) are all "write only".

I have searched all through Google and nothing seems to work for me. I'm really not wanting to have to buy a new fan. Does anyone have any clue what to do? Maybe if you know how to unlock the Hardware Monitor settings or anything else?

I did read on the Intel site that once you update your BIO settings (which I did), you are not allowed to change the fan speed. It said that it will stay at 19somethin RPM until the cpu temp. reaches 75 degrees celcius, which tells me that the fan should then speed up; but my fan never sped up... :(

2. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I was you I would just buy a new CPU cooler, as you won't get much of an overclock on stock cooling.

3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    You may want to make sure the cooler on there now is securely installed, someone had temps issues like this earlier and one of the stock push pins were not installed right.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, this is an easy fix. Just buy and install a reasonably priced after market cooler.

5. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Damn that's hot! Something is wrong and I would start with the heatsink/fan and as mentioned make sure it's on the board properly and there is thermal compound between them. Your CPU even with the stock fan shouldn't go over 60 at full load. Dude 90 degrees Celsius is dangerous and it should be shutting down around that temp!

6. AWPtic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol.... Well, I figured out the problem.... Funny that no one even thought about this throughout all of the forums n stuff I went to.... The heatsink was clogged with dust. LMAO! After I got all of the dust out it now idles anywhere from about 36 to 42 and when I play Bioshock it doesn't go above 48. =)

7. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Nice man.... nice! I've seen em packed with dust before never even thought to mention it. Glad that fixed it.

8. Carlitos714

Thanks Received:
    what case do you have? get an aftermarlket cooler for sure!