1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 7970 GHZ vapor-x

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by pep20, Mar 25, 2013.

1. pep20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,this card have voltage locked or unlocked?because i read that for some people is locked...I want to buy it,but this is a big problem.Thanks :)

2. pep20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    up..:D

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    some are locked, some aren't. The newer the card, the more likely it will be "locked" from software voltage controls, and that goes for any brand. For guaranteed unlocked card, buy a used card.

pep20 says thanks.
  4. pep20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks,this is a big problem..
    i saw this card: His 7970 iceq x2 GHZ.

It is voltage unlocked(4-5 reviews)..is a good choice? HIS is a good brand?thanks :D

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Can't go by reviews, unfortunately, when it comes to voltage unlock. Check out all reviews of ASUS DirectCUII, even most recently posted by [H]ardOCP just last week. Then look at the threads here, and people with problems with voltage unlocking.

That's not to say that this is the reviewer's fault, but what reviewers get and what is on the store shelves is not always the same. Could simply be that reviewer got a sample many months ago, but had other stuff to review before that card, or whatever...

Since reviewer got said card, product in retail was updated with a new version to fix problems end users had.

Unfortunately, when it comes to GPUS right now, AMD's partners are, in a big way, presenting things in a way that may not reflect what all end users experience. Recently NVidia did the same thing, with older GTX680's being voltage unlocked, and even specifically a certain card coming with a connector to modify the card easily with. Nvidia told partners they could not offer voltage control any more, and now cards you buy do not offer the same flexibility that most reviews show.

Personally ,when it comes to brands, I think they are all roughly equal when it comes to product quality. Technically, they all deliver the same physical product. What is different, however, is what level of support they provide, and how that works out is going to vary depending where you are globally. For me, certain companies work best, but someone in the UK might not have the same sort of luck.

6. pep20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok,thanks..so,sapphire vapor-x vs his?:D.Best cooler?

7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    vapor x gets my vote

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Seconded, my choice for ATI has always and will always be Sapphire.

I have 10 Sapphire cards and not a single one gave me issues.

9. pep20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok,so vapor x has good cooling sistem?is better than iceq x2? And for overclock depends on luck?

10. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I've had 6 and they have all been flawless. 6870 and 7870 are my favorites cooling wise as the temps on my 7870 are 30 C idle and 55-60 C load

Crunching for Team TPU