1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SATA3.0 and SATA150

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Falru, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Falru New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a SATA 3.0 Hard drive and my motherboard supports SATA150, I was assuming you can set the jumper for it to go at a lower speed.

Apparently however my hard drive didn't come with a jumper so I'm sort of drawn ablank as to what to do, can your motherboard know on it's own somehow that it's a SATA3.0 and needs to run at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s?

My DVD drive has a jumper on it that is setting it to master drive, is it impossible for the DVD drive to run without the jumper?

I have a feeling this problem with my hard drive is the reason I can't seem to get Vista to install, whenever it finishes loading files it shows me a really crap splash screen (looks like 4-bit color or so) that has no options on it and then it does nothing and I have to reboot. :banghead:

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    SATA 3.0 Gb/s will automatically detect SATA 1.5 Gb/s devices and slow down as needed
  3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    EDIT: ^^hmmm didn't work for the wife's MSI board (skt 939)...see below

The wife's pc is the same way. Unfortunately, it wouldn't even recognize it in the BIOS without the jumper....

If you have any spare IDE drives (CD/HDD), you could steal the jumper from there. Also, a lot of CD-ROMS go to cable select when they don't have any jumpers installed. If this is the case, remove the jumper from your ROM drive and place it on the HDD.

Good Luck
  4. Falru New Member

Thanks Received:
    Weee it's working now except I seem to have no sound, Vista says it's reading sound but i don't hear anything o_o

Edit: hmm it seems my subwoofer is working just fine but the rest of my speakers do nothing.
  5. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    Driver probs.They are free with vista.