1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scientists Invent 30 Year Continuous Power Laptop Battery

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Oct 2, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your next laptop could have a continuous power battery that lasts for 30 years without a single recharge thanks to work being funded by the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory. The breakthrough betavoltaic power cells are constructed from semiconductors and use radioisotopes as the energy source. As the radioactive material decays it emits beta particles that transform into electric power capable of fueling an electrical device like a laptop for years. Although betavoltaic batteries sound Nuclear they’re not. Betavoltaics generate power when an electron strikes a particular interface between two layers of material. The process uses beta electron emissions that occur when a neutron decays into a proton which causes a forward bias in the semiconductor. This makes the betavoltaic cell a forward bias diode of sorts, similar in some respects to a photovoltaic (solar) cell. Electrons scatter out of their normal orbits in the semiconductor and into the circuit creating a usable electric current. The profile of the batteries can be quite small and thin, also the reaction is non-thermal which means laptops and other small devices like mobile phones will run much cooler than with traditional lithium-ion power batteries. If all goes well plans are for these cells to reach store shelves in about 2 to 3 years.

Source: NextEnergy News
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    A little off topic.

If this is true, why not a bigger version that can power cars?

That has been the biggest problem with battery powered cars is that they only last for so long before needing a long recharge.
  3. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Just don't try and dismantle one or else you'll end up like marie curie! :roll:
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I presented my Physics Professor with this exact same Idea over 15 years ago. He told me I was foolish and was waisting my time. Guess I should have took out a patent. (He also worked for DOD).

:toast:
  5. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    its ß Radiation, hi energy electrons basically. clothing can protect against those, and can only cause minor damage to the germinal layer of the skin over long periods of exposure. no risk in the slightest of a third arm growing out your head. the radiation only travels a few Ft anyways.

it can be harmful if ingested, but otherwise poses little risk :)
  6. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... radioisotope batteries have been around alot longer than that :)
  7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I ment the car battery thing.:toast:
  8. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahh, okay then. corrected I stand :)

maybe in a particular facet of this multiverse you did indeed patent the idea and are currently employing Billy Gates as your toilet cleaner :roll:
  9. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is pretty amazing.

I don't understand a bloody word it says but a battery that lasts even just a year is amazing, but 30? Wow...

Just makes you wonder how far science will take us within the next few decades.
  10. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how much battery producers will like that...
  11. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im sure Sony would love not to lose another what was it again a couple billion dollars in battery replacements:laugh::slap:
  12. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool. :toast:

If I were to get one right now, it would last me till I was 44 years old! :eek: lol.
  13. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:
    At that time, I wonder how much is that laptop going to cost us? I guess it's gotta be an affordable price. And how are companies out there going to make money selling their Lithium batteries for the upgrades.
  14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Id love to have a car that runs on batteries for 30 years before needing a recharge.

thing is, big oil wont like it and all governments cave in and cater to their whims.
    Zero Cool says thanks.
  15. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats just the USA :D
  16. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really then why is it that Gas in Europe costs more than it does in the USA and yes our gas prices already have tax included in them thank you very much.
  17. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    jeez, those little nerds are pretty friggin good... Imagine how much those top scientists are gettin paid..... lol
  18. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet this gets bought by one of the big companies, patented, and locked in a dusty old vault forever, with clean running fuels, everlasting light bulbs, and engines that can run for millions of miles without breakdown:rolleyes:
  19. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same reason why they probably have ways to actually give us true 1 GB per second speeds across the internetz (after all Ethernet does support it now and there are even some universities that use a shared connection on the internet that only for their use and it is 100GBPS . No joke im quite serious)
  20. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    there, I fixed it for you.
  21. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well let's say this 1.5V AA cell can discharge at 2 amps (same as energizer lithium). That's 3 watts. And a car needs (say) 100kW. Then you'd need 33,000 of them to run your car. At 15g each that's about 500kg of battery to put in your car. And 33 million dollars!
  22. Lame New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is an major problem, know it alls stifling true (beyond them) innovation. Why don't you send him this quote with article and comments. If he has any sense he should consider you for an job.

There was an similar sounding battery technology announced in the late 80's. It was proposed for an car battery I think, that would recharge itself for 17 years, could be protected from radiation using aluminium foil, used low grade radiative waste. But I can't remember the details of how it did this. Disappeared without much of an trace.