1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen blanking out from time to time... what's up?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Sasqui, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    See my system specs... I am only seeing this in 2D mode, and recently has been getting much more frequent.

My screen goes black, then immediately comes back on again. Happened almost 5 times within a 10 minute period. It's almost like the screen is switching refresh rates.

I was typing something a few times when this happened, and it was almost like the system was unresponsive during the sec or two when it blanked out. i.e. - seemed like what I was typing was not registered during that time.

Anyone have any insights? I'm fearing that either the video card is going awry, or the monitor (which is now 4 yrs. old)

... one other note: About 1 in 5 boot-ups, I'll get the inital BIOS screen, etc., then the screen will display a message "DVI-I, Cannot Display This Mode". I have to shut down and restart. I suspect they are related problems.

2. smartali89

smartali89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Might be Graphic Card Problem, as Monitor will not cause system unresponsiveness

3. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Might be the graphics card, might be the monitor, might be even both. Put the clocks on the GFX back to stock and try then.

4. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Are you forcing a refresh rate through rivatuner etc.

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Just using CCC, no other software.

I've seen the same thing when hooking my LCD TV to the 2nd DVI input, and turning the TV on/off. But - in this case, the TV and cable is not hooked up to the card.

Might just "borrow" a monitor from work and give it a try...