1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

second fan make a difference?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Samdbugman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    i am picking up a new 92mm fan for my cooler master hyper tx3. will the second fan in a push/pull configuration get me a few degrees cooler? phen x4 955 when idle at desk top is now 28-30 in a cool room, overclocked to 3.9 ghz it idles at 32-35 degrees with just the one fan. thanks!
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Idle temperatures aren't going to show as much change with a push/pull. On the loaded end, maybe 2-3 degrees cooler?!?!
  3. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    If the loop T-Delta is running hot, then a push/pull makes sense. If the single fan is doing an excellent job of removing the heat from the loop, then a second fan is not going to show much. Can you get a kitchen temperature probe into the RES and check with the one fan running while doing moderate CPU cycles for about 10 mins?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    what is your ambient temp?? a second fan WILL make a huge difference on oc load temp but idle temps usually are not affected.
  5. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    average room temp is 70 [f]. put back to stock and its 25[c]. last night i put it up to 3813 and let the final fantasy 14 benchmark run in the background for 4 hours, temps stayed at or near 47[c] with a peak each run of 51.1 [c] foe less than 2 seconds. im using amd overdrive to check temps, as it seemto match the temps in the bios . the reason for the ff14 benchmark is that its all i have where i can run it and keep amd overdrive open to watch temps. i just got this cpu and dont want to burn it up, so im trying to be careful. thanks again!
  6. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    i got the second fan installed, and was quite pleased with the results. idle temps stayed the same, but after another 4 hour test i had an exact 10 degree[c] drop in temps. thanks again folks for all the help and guidence.:respect:
  7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    that might be due to the first fan being throttled down by the motherboard, worth considering

usually a push pull does nothing but stop the first fan from doing any work and it just free turns doing nothing

most of your best results are from just replacing the first fan with a higher cfm version or just adding a fan inside the case to mix/circulate the air for better cooling