1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selling current to build new

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by oldschool83, Aug 13, 2011.

1. oldschool83 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just want to say thanks for advice so far on this forum. Fantastic people compared to other sites...

The system I have listed Homebuild01 I am going to be selling to a coworker less the Monitor Change to a samsung 23" and I am taking the HDs out of this system and they are getting a fresh copy of Win7 along with a HD. Unless it is advised to just reformat one of my existing HD and install his new OS on one of them? Figure 600 dollars will be a decent deal for him considering I have used for several years. I am also going to sell a Q9550 CPU I have which I verified works fine as of less than a month ago.

The new system I am going to build is one I want to keep around for a while... so I might spend a little more up front to get a bit more performance out of it.

What I have picked so far...

CPU
    i5 2500k open to other options as well

CPU Cooler
    Hyper 212 plus (already have)

Motherboard
    ASROCK P67 extreme 4 open to other suggestions

Case
    Antec Lanboy, HAF932, or Lian Li PC-A70F cannot decide yet

PSU
    Corsair TX-750 open to other choices as well

RAM
    DDR3 G.Skill 8 gig

Graphics
    EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi)
    1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP (X2) SLI

OS
    Win7 Ultimate 64 bit (already have)

HD
    anything around 500gig am thinking of perhaps a SSD drive but might be down the road. for budget purposes might keep the 150 gig raptor and 320 gig from other machine.

Any suggestions or modifications to build are appreciated. I am not sure if I will OC, and if I do, I want to be able to do so with a minimum of issues. So I would rather be prepared for it and not use it than not have what I need up front. In addition to helping resale value down the road. I also have a microcenter 20 miles away so I can utilize that resource as well as the online stores.

I am also wanting to keep the budget close to 800 dollars. if I go over it is not a big deal... I would rather go over and get quality parts vs be under and have to replace multiple times.
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get 1600Mhz ram, timing does not matter. Other than that, not much to suggest really. HDD will probably be Samsung (acquired by Seagate), Seagate itself and WD.
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Why do you want to go with GTX 460 SE in SLI when you can just go with one GTX 570?

I'll try making a more complete suggestion later.
  4. oldschool83 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a friend is using those succesfully in his system. To be honest I have gotten behind as far as the graphics are concerned.... and it seems like there are a lot of cards which seem very decent around 150 dollars then the price seems to go up to 300 plus for newer which appears to have similar specs overall....
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are willing to up your budget to about $240 region, the 6950 is a good option, GTX 560 Ti is also a good option, but you should run through TPU's graphics card review before purchasing.
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Core i5 2500k - $220
    Biostar TZ68A+RCH - $135
    Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750 750W - $95
    G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4GB) - $60
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti - $225
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $60
    Cooler Master Elite 430 - $50
    TOTAL - $845 (all are free shipping from newegg)
    oldschool83 says thanks.
  7. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I second this. I got two of them in CF. I had some troubles with the CF, but one card always worked. And now that CF scales properly, I'm blown away. 140-200 fps on BC2 (MP) with everything maxed out at 1920x1200 (HBAO/Bloom off).
  8. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you should get the 6950 2GB model. You will thank yourself.
  9. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    i think you made fine choice.. and for the videocard you can always SLI ...
    oldschool83 says thanks.
  10. oldschool83 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure I am feeling the case you chose... though I understand why you did... :p The other piece I am not sure about is the Zotac card. I guess one could say I like the EVGA cards over other brands atm as I have had good luck overall with them and such. However, that being said I will check out the card you had listed and appreciate your taking the time to come up with something for me.

Anyone have suggestions on the current setup I have? Think 600.00 too much too little or meh...? and should I just leave the HD with OS in there and be done with it? I have the original CD for the OS I have...

thanks
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Dude...you don't need help. Your list is good, 100%.

I WOULD recommend the Biostar Z68 boards as an affordable option, but one that doesn't really support Crossfire as well as some other, more expensive options, as they are x16/x4 for thier x16 slots.

Re-install your OS when you update. Always works better than way.