1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I get a new mouse mat? Are gaming mat/pads worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alexp999, Aug 30, 2008.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    hi,

Atm, I have this :eek: :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=542590
    [​IMG]

Under my MS Laser 6000 mouse.

But I was thinking about getting a gaming mouse mat. I didn't know how many of you guys on here use them, and I wonder what you thought of them.

i was looking at getting this one, cus I really want the wrist pad:

http://www.razerzone.com/p-84-razer-exactmat-duo-precision-gaming-surface.aspx
    [​IMG]

does it make a lot of difference in game? i never seem to be that great at headshots. :(
    And i see this one has a control side, which would be great for my cad work.

Its is anodised alu :wtf: . How does that work?

Any of you got this mat/pad or something similar.

Let me know what you guys think

:toast:
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I personally had a metal pad with the plastic top. It was great.

I went to Target, and bought a Teflon coated cookie sheet. It cost $3.99. Those pads cost more. Do what I did.
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    lol. Seriously?
  4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Ya, seriously. Otherwise, you can buy an aluminum sheet and coat it with Teflon yourself. It works just as well. Trust me.
  5. Duxx Guest

Go play some CSS, head shots are almost guaranteed. :D As for mouse pads, my stepbro has one and I don't, i still beat him hands down in 1.6 and CSS.:confused:
  6. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Logitech Trackman. All thumb baby. Wish it had more buttons (L,R,wheel up/down, middle), but I don't need any space at all to use it.
  7. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Shame you cant get a wrist rest with that. :( unless I bake one! :p
  8. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Tried that mouse before and hated it. Plus I really like my mouse, but the mouse works faster without the mouse mat, but tends to be more inaccurate. :(

I can get that razer one bundled with wrist rest for £18 delivered ($32.74 on current Exchange rates)
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    No way, I have quite literally just done that swap. I got the Razer ExactMat and Wrist Rest because my old speedlink wrist rest burst and started leaking gel.

And quite honestly, it's the biggest waste of money EVER. It's no more accurate then it was, the wrist rest actually hurts my wrist during long gaming sessions, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  10. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    do you even need these expensive mouse mats?? i mean ive used a dell one for abt 4 yrs now and it dont make a difference in games¬!
    alexp999 says thanks.
  11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thats that settled then. lol.
    i think I need a new chair before then anyway, this one is soo uncomfortable. :cry:

Thanks for all the input, just another one of those, "cons"

I did notice that my mouse acts a lot more like a laser mouse with the intellipoint software on last time, but I didnt install it since I last formated.

Is there a way to install intellipoint without the bloat?

:toast:
  12. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    mouse sensitivity sorted. Just installed latest intellipoint and upped the Mouse sensitivty a few notches. :rolleyes:

Why is there a market for the mats/pads if they are pointless?
  13. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have that exact wristrest + speed/control exactMat. Much better than using the top of my table lol. I use the speed side, never even touched the control side, but I like high sensitivty and can just turn it down with my mouse if needed. Nice and smooth, my G9 glides over it like ice :)
  14. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    But do you reckon its worth getting over my current mousemat. Darknova said he thought it was worse.

I'm so confused! :( :confused:
  15. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely agree with PVT. I just recently bought a Ratpadz XT for $20 to try out for myself whether or not a mouse pad was worth it. It was a huge boost from my old cloth / rubber pad in terms of speed and control, but I don't think it was worth the money. If you want an idea of how a "gaming" mouse pad feels, grab a cutting board from your kitchen. If it isn't too cut up, that's essentially what you're getting.

As far as cloth / rubber goes, I've heard that Everglide's are pretty nice. I think they've been reviewed here on TPU once or twice.
  16. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    So what you are getting is just a really smooth surface for the mouse to track better on?
  17. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Im just using a cheapy from target dont see the need to have to get some flashy expensive pad but then its a personal preference i suppose.
  18. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've got it. I wouldn't spend more than $10-15 if you're wanting to get a "real" mouse pad.
  19. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I know, thats why I'm asking people, I wantd to check i wasnt missing out on something and everyone says, OMG, cant believe you are using something like that!
    But seeing as I'm getting the general vibe its a waste of money I'll prob stick with what I've got. MS intellipoint software has helped a bit too.

It can be so hard sometimes to know what stuff will actually giv you a benefit and what won't. Especially when its stuff you dont know a great deal about.

But as for this chair, I know it needs replacing lol. Damn well out of warranty though :(
    Typical, been about 13-14months i've had it and i need to replace it :rolleyes:
  20. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    You will be surprised how comfortable a mouse pad with a hump for your wrist is.
  21. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I know i have one now. Thats why the only "gaming" pad i could find with a wrist rest was that razer, but it seems kinda pointless getting another one if I'm not gonna get anything from it.
  22. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Ya could be a total cheap ass like me when i just used a book for a while it werked ok :p
  23. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't bother wasting you money on a $50 mouse pad, while it may be technically better, don't bother unless it has a particular form feature you prefer.
    alexp999 says thanks.
  24. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Technically its only $30, lol. but see what you mean. If I didnt have a wrist one know and felt I needed one, I would prob spend the extra on the "gaming" one but seeing as I already have a comfy one there is prob not a lot of point.
    I dont suppose even a $100 mouse mat would make me any better at online multiplayer. :(
  25. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received: