• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I return to nVidia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I understand it in this way.
thats your problem dont put childish words in other mouths.

When RT become something useful without upscale, I will use it too sometimes, because I don't like some RT effects :)
Efficient is something nice to have, but it hardly will change my choice to choose a GPU.
They don't discuss professional workloads, but gaming.
you still dont get it you will have no choice RT will replace rasterizing completely one day. its the future of graphics rendering and it will cut dev time considerably.

Upscaling the same, live with it native will die out its just not efficient enough. you dont like some rt effects yea i get that, because some game devs simply have a lackluster rt Implementation. But trust me done well and it will change everything just watch cyberpunk in pathtracing mode, watch it on your own screen not some compressed youtube video on a freaking phone screen. its breathtaking yes it really is and its fiting. and when they can cut of rasterizing completely rt will be much easier to run when your hardware is fully made to render rt, not raster and rt at the same time.

D

Deleted member 239770

I think the issue is you are focused on the end goal and can't see the process, none of the hardware any of us currently own will be viable for when RT is the way you mentioned, which was why I said a long time ago in the thread that I do think RT is the future, in the now though, it barely matters.

And I threw a video up of a game with no RT looking way better than a game with the latest RT tech in it.

In fact, I don't worry about where will be AMD after 5 years, but Nvidia.
i will tell you exactly where nvidia will be. richer than apple and still making billions and billions with ai. and fighting with intel for the top gaming gpu number 1. well if intel doesnt fuck up. which would be very good since competition is good for all of us especially if its 3 not just 2 manufacturers

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
But I guess because a user is not playing those 2 games which helps Nvidia owners feel better about their purchase, they are the issue because they apparently never owned one?

I could not make up the mental gymnastics myself, it took someone truly in it for themselves to do that.
Your hinge your argument on two games, I never said that, so yeah, you did make up the mental gymnastics.

The majority of the RDNA2 line up and lower half of RDNA3 can barely manage RT performance worth a damn in games where the effects are worth enabling, the top RDNA3 cards do about as well as my 3080, slightly better to around 3090ti /4070ti level but with a garbage upscaler to support it, I can see why they wouldn't want to do that combo. And I've played easily a dozen or more games with worthwhile effects that added to the experience, you named two. I'm happy to name the rest that my 3080 has powered through.

D

Deleted member 239770

Your hinge your argument on two games, I never said that, so yeah, you did make up the mental gymnastics.

The majority of the RDNA2 line up and lower half of RDNA3 can barely manage RT performance worth a damn in games where the effects are worth enabling, the top RDNA3 cards do about as well as my 3080, slightly better to around 3090ti /4070ti level but with a garbage upscaler to support it, I can see why they wouldn't want to do that combo. And I've played easily a dozen or more games with worthwhile effects that added to the experience, you named two. I'm happy to name the rest that my 3080 has powered through.
You were not involved, it's the outliers where the ADA lovelace GPU's truly shine.
If I worded it wrong, my apology.

Processor Ryzen 7 7900x
Motherboard Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
Cooling Underfloor CPU cooling
Memory 2x32GB 6600
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XT OC Edition
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB, Seagate Exos 12TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG301RF 2560x1080@200Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply NZXT C850 850W Gold
Mouse Bloody W95 Max Naraka
you still dont get it you will have no choice RT will replace rasterizing completely one day. its the future of graphics rendering and it will cut dev time considerably.

Upscaling the same, live with it native will die out its just not efficient enough. you dont like some rt effects yea i get that, because some game devs simply have a lackluster rt Implementation. But trust me done well and it will change everything just watch cyberpunk in pathtracing mode, watch it on your own screen not some compressed youtube video on a freaking phone screen. its breathtaking yes it really is and its fiting. and when they can cut of rasterizing completely rt will be much easier to run when your hardware is fully made to render rt, not raster and rt at the same time.
RT will replace rasterization?
i will tell you exactly where nvidia will be. richer than apple and still making billions and billions with ai. and fighting with intel for the top gaming gpu number 1. well if intel doesnt fuck up. which would be very good since competition is good for all of us especially if its 3 not just 2 manufacturers
Let's see :)

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Do we have any games that are using heavy RT in UE5?
If so do you have benchmarks?

I found this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/17ao2es
UE5 has a hybrid approach that scales with hardware. They have to do this so current gen consoles (with AMD APUs) can run games developed using UE5. These consoles use a very light smattering of hybrid RT sprinkled on top of classic rendering techniques. UE5 has hardware ray tracing settings and dynamic resolution/quality scaling to take advantage of GPUs that have powerful ray tracing hardware. These deliver a better image quality when enabled.

If you turn on all the advanced stuff in UE5 engine and try to run at native settings on slow RT hardware, you'll see what I'm talking about regarding performance.

D

Deleted member 239770

UE5 has a hybrid approach that scales with hardware. They have to do this so current gen consoles (with AMD APUs) can run games developed using UE5. These consoles use a very light smattering of hybrid RT sprinkled on top of classic rendering techniques. UE5 has hardware ray tracing settings and dynamic resolution/quality scaling to take advantage of GPUs that have powerful ray tracing hardware. These deliver a better image quality when enabled.
You will have to present some images when they come out with this stuff, will be interesting to see.

Thanks for the information.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
You will have to present some images when they come out with this stuff, will be interesting to see.

Thanks for the information.
You can find them yourself by looking for technology demonstration videos showcasing new versions of the game engine.

D

Deleted member 239770

You can find them yourself by looking for technology demonstration videos showcasing new versions of the game engine.
Ahh I only look at end product stuff.
Learned my lessons from the Fermi GTX 480 where they used this and this. I was a GTX 480 owner.

Whilst the Fermi architecture was better at it in a forced perspective way, it in practice barely was better in end products with only one or two outliers.
The lines blur and choosing either side means nothing as you gain the same experience, it's seemingly how it ends up.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
a lot of ppl forget, without the initial "heres my kidney" cost, most things would never "trickle down" into everyday consumer stuff.

the same way we now have cars with seatbelt tensioners/ABS/ESP/Airbags/side protection/pre-crash stuff/nightvision and radar for
keeping proper distance to the cars ahead, features that brands like MB/BMW/Audi and the like introduced about 10y
before becoming "common", and most of those things will be improved/tweaked while being cheaper on lower cost cars later.

without ppl paying the "i want the fastest hw i can have", we wouldnt get a lot those things, so just because
i cant and/or wont use them, doesnt mean they are useless or not the future.

do i use AR?
nope.
but i do like it, when they have an overlay showing streets, when i watch a car chase on tv :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 239770

a lot of ppl forget, without the initial "heres my kidney" cost, most things would never "trickle down" into everyday consumer stuff.

the same way we now have cars with seatbelt tensioners/ABS/ESP/Airbags/side protection/pre-crash stuff/nightvision and radar for
keeping proper distance to the cars ahead, features that brands like MB/BMW/Audi and the like introduced about 10y
before becoming "common", and most of those things will be improved/tweaked while being cheaper on lower cost cars later.

without ppl paying the "i want the fastest hw i can have", we wouldnt get a lot those things, so just because
i cant and/or wont use them, doesnt mean they are useless or not the future.

do i use AR?
nope.
but i do like it when they have an overlay showing streets when i watch a car chase on tv :D
Sadly this understanding is lost on many and many of us are forced into a side perspective because the view from another is misunderstanding the larger picture.

You are correct and as a consumer in a ways you only really learn this mostly through wisdom, unless you got this teaching from someone who had the wisdom to begin with.

Another factor is change, This world could come to a halt in an instant and all tech would be wiped out as useless.

Be thankful for what we have, it can all be gone so fast.

high end buyer simply pay for the privilege to use it years in advance. but its has to start somewhere. i mean a 4090 today has as much power as a ps6 will have maybe ps 6 will have 20 % more at best. but we will get a 4090ti in 1-2 months and 6 months after that the 5090 will hit. ;) but pssssttt

System Name Firestarter
Processor 7950X
Motherboard X670E Steel Legend
Cooling LF 2 420
Memory 4x16 G.Skill X5 6000@CL36
Video Card(s) RTX Gigabutt 4090 Gaming OC
Storage OS: 2TB P41 Plat, 2TB SN770, 1TB SN770
Display(s) FO48U, some dinky TN 10.1 inch display.
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) PC38X
Power Supply GF3 TT Premium 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard OG Razer Black Widow
I've been trying out my mothers 7900 XT for a bit. Honestly it has been pretty good.

If you swapped it out I would not notice for most games until I got to more demanding and RT titles. (If you removed the fps counter and the window!)

My friend though had issues (crashes) with Helldivers 2 at release though with an XTX. However I tried it and there wasn't an issue.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
If you haven't tried DLSS yet then I say yes, why not, no reason to stick with one brand, YOLO.

there was an issue and still is, also helldivers performs really bad on amd. amd acknowledged issues so do the devs. but they put out patches oftne.

If you haven't tried DLSS yet then I say yes, why not, no reason to stick with one brand, YOLO.
dlss is just way to good since dlss 2.0. the issue is amd users cant compare it while nvidia users can compare fsr xess and dlss on the fly.

D

Deleted member 239770

there was an issue and still is, also helldivers performs really bad on amd. amd acknowledged issues so do the devs. but they put out patches oftne.

dlss is just way to good since dlss 2.0. the issue is amd users cant compare it while nvidia users can compare fsr xess and dlss on the fly.
Care to acknowledge the RE3 video I posted before that was conveniently missed?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is middle of page 1. Nearly a month ago.

Why are we on page 6 now?
Nvidia users are done with their RT content. There isn't any left.
AMD users were already bored for not being able to access RT proper.
And the singular Intel user is actually just busy installing drivers and doing something else meanwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.