1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sleep or hibernate

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by savillm, Jun 2, 2012.

1. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi all im using my panasonic toughbook cf-30 laptop for work and when im not using it i put it into "sleep" mode, is this a good idear or would "hibernate" be a better? i carry it around alot everytime i get out the van and walk to a customers front door and i know moving a hdd when its working is not a good idear!

just worryed about damaging the hdd as ive got A LOT of very important work stuff on it.

any idears? or is what im doing ok.

thanks
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Turn it off.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    but i use it every time im in a customers house and if i turn it off everytime my working day would be even longer lol

just trying to find out what mode would be better and not damage the internals of the laptop
  4. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    both states stop the HDDs from moving so you can use either. do not worry about dmg from moving.... its a laptop, they are designed to be moved...

Move.... had to say it again =.=
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If you are worried about data loss, then, replace the HDD with an SSD and use an external backup device to back-up your system and data, both.
    That is, if, you have the funds... or, maybe, your company will foot the bill.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    if you have to choose between sleep and hybernate, i prefer hybernate than sleep mode
    in hybernate mode you can start up your laptop faster
    yeah for HDD as long as you dont drop it and you keep you environment clean, better airflow it should be OK
  7. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...
  8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah, but for laptop i prefer hybernate
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    hibernate longer start up but shorter than full reboot and less battery usage
    sleep faster startup more battery usage.

You could look in to power options for your self to depending on how you use it to while going peoples houses. Like make sure it turns on\off when lid is open\closed and if that is how it's setup already sleep mode will get you doing what you need sooner.

Only thing i can think of is battery wear and that's going happen anyways.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.