1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slooow LAN speeds through wireless

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Ozpa, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    I'm beat to death...

For the life of me, I can't understand why I have such terrible speeds on my local wireless LAN, I used to have much higher speeds before. Here's my simple setup.

2 PCs on LAN, both connected to my router, router connected to cable modem - simple.
    (my PC is connected to the router via NIC cable, my gf's laptop is connected to the router via Wifi, g standard)
    It's a 3 yeard old Linksys WRT54G v7.2 running DD-WRT.

My internet plan maxes out at 6mbps down and 2mbps up. Both PCs reach the cap via NIC cable or Wireless respectively. The problem is the speed between my PC and her laptop. The way the share is set up is I shared her whole C drive, set up an account with a password to log into and just move files from and to her PC.

Right now if I try to move something from her PC to mine I get speeds of 500-700kb/s, but if the other way around it's below 1kb/s, actually the whole windows (not Windows OS) freeze up before starting the transfer. I feel like floppy disks work faster than that.

I remember I used to have around 2,2MB/s on this same network, not sure what went wrong. Both PCs run Win7. Any pointers are welcome.. :banghead:
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe there's a new wireless network stood up from a neighbour or something. Look to see if any strong wifi signals have the same channel as you. If so change yours to a different one. You typically want to stick with 1,6 and 11. As they dont overlap.
  3. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    this seems more likely to be a windows problem rather then wireless. your best bet is to run some network speed tests.

try updating your wireless and wired network card drivers.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking this too. Try hard wiring the laptop to the router and see if the problem persists.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a one way transmission problem, interference, needs better aerial placement, etc.
  6. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Oh sorry, just got back home.

1) All the drivers are up to date.
    2) Wiring the laptop via its' NIC gives me max speeds as it should (around 13MB/s).

I was derping around with the wireless card's properties and it got kinda fixed, I believe after I changed something in the WOL & something something setting from auto to 100Mbps first. Laptop's upload speed to my PC went from ~650kb/s to 2,6MB/s and download speed from my PC from >1KB/s to ~1,6MB/s. I changed that setting back to it's default just for the shits and the speed remained good (figure this out..).

This is more like my old speeds, at least I can put and take files from the laptop, the only thing bothering me is why the upload and download speeds are so different, I sometimes reach 3MB/s when getting files from the laptop but the other way around never goes above 2MB/s.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is the downside of wireless. More than likely the card on the laptop is putting out a signal that the router can easily receive, but the card on the laptop can easily receive the signal from the router. So transmission of data from the router to the laptop is slower.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU