• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slow Connection, High Bit Error Rate

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
When I view http://192.168.100.1/diagnostics_page.asp, I'm getting some numbers that are causing my connection to be horrendously slow. My bit error rate seems to constantly be going up, about 0.08% everytime the page refreshes itself...which is about every 3 seconds. My SNR seems low though I'm not sure, it's 27.4. The Received Signal Strength is about -8.1 which I believe isn't great but within normal operational range.

So anyway, I've noticed the bit error rate hasn't been 0% lately like it normally is. I'm wondering if it's the cable modem itself or the lines outside. Originally I thought it was the modem and I was going to take it to a Time Warner center nearby to have it replaced, but I'm noticing things get worse when the weather is poor like today. I'm going to call them soon, but I don't have the energy to disconnect my router since they refuse to do anything if I have it connected.

Any thoughts on if it's the modem, the lines, or maybe even both?

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I just rebooted the modem again, there is a 0% bit error rate, the SNR shows as 40.7 now and it seems to be working fine for the moment. I guess it's the modem =/ That's good though, I can get it replaced faster than it would take for them to come fix any line problems.

Okie I'm kinda confused now. When I have the modem going to the router, then through to my PC wired, it will sometimes work, but I can see the connection signal isn't quite as good as when the modem is directly connected to my PC. I thought maybe it might be the ethernet cable I had going from the modem to the router, so I replaced it and the same thing happens. It works for awhile, and eventually degrades to a very slow speed. I have not seen any connection or signal problems without the router.

I've never really had router problems like this before. It seems to be causing problems even for wired connections. Any ideas what can cause this? Is it something fixable or is something just wrong with the router physically? It's a Linksys Wrt54G that I got from NewEgg only a couple of months ago. I don't think I can return it, I don't have the physical packaging still. Any thoughts on what I can do here?

Last edited by a moderator:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me