1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So BOTH of my laptop's 8800M GTX's have gone.... dead.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Black Panther, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    See update post #61 on page 3.

Yesterday I was playing New Vegas on the laptop and I got a nvlddmkm.sys blue screen i.e. driver error.

However, after I restarted the laptop I got artifacting in the bootscreen, windows didn't load and I got the same nvlddmkm.sys blue screen.

The only way not to get the bsod was to restart in safe mode, and then restart again in normal mode.

After I restarted in normal mode the laptop behaves as usual, I tested it out by playing Fallout 3.

Then I tested it out by playing New Vegas and as soon as I loaded the game the screen went full of pink artifacts and again I had the nvlddmkm.sys bsod.

Do you think my graphic cards are dying (8800M GTX SLI :cry:)

Or is it a driver problem?

Or is it a bug in the New Vegas game since I get the BSOD only when I try to play only that game?

Btw this started happening without no explanation. Where I was gaming I don't have internet access so there couldn't have been some wacky update... Also I've been using the same nvidia driver for months now so nothing changed there. As well, I had been playing New Vegas with no problems on the laptop the previous day I clocked a couple of hours.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think I have heard of some mobile nvidia chips dying. Not sure if that's what you got going on...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Fire up Furmark for like 3 minutes and see how your GPU's react. If they're fine, it's likely a driver problem.

Try reinstalling them yet?
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I have a feeling it's the graphics chip unfortunately, BP. Try playing another demanding game on it and see if you get the same thing.

If yes, you could try a video driver re-install or update, but I have a feeling it won't cure it.

How old is the laptop? Must be a good two or three years at least I reckon, judging by the chip.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately, sounds like hardware problem to me.

FYI for everyone: 8800GTXM is 8800GS (G92) so its a bit newer (and slower) than it sounds (desktop 8800GTX was G80)
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Ugh...

Well, playing Fallout 3 had no effect, game ran fine at 50-60 fps, it's only New Vegas.

I'll try reinstalling the video driver when I get home.

I bought laptop in July 2008, and it's got 3 years warranty so it's still covered till July 2011 at least. Meh... :(
  7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Well BP, at least it's still covered.

I'd run a benchmark and test the GPUs, as Fallout 3 shouldn't be too terrible taxing on your system. (Although nether should New Vegas...)

Maybe invest in one of those laptop cooling pads?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if its ONLY crashing in vegas and nothing else, could be drivers... but with the errors at bootup i'd say its something more along the lines of the fans not spinning up in vegas, causing overheating.
  9. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Something is crashing, damaging your GPU's

For all I know, that problem immediately tells me your GPU's just took a shit on you inside that laptop O:!

I have hope everything could be fine sense your still playing a 3d application, and maybe its drivers.

But Im pretty sure that your GPU's are taking a crap, I would use the warrenty to get new gpu's if the problem gets any worse

which it sounds like it going to get worse. But maybe for the better.
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Run some furmark or kombuster, that would be the real challenge. if it doesnt do anything there then i would check drivers
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Craaaaaaaaap I just checked the papers I've only got 24 months warranty... so it was under warranty only till July this year. :banghead: Unless they've got something like a different warranty for the gpu's - for example the RAM it's lifetime warranty even though the laptop's only got 2 years.

Just arrived home, powered it up, and in the boot screen it makes funny fast vanishing lines. Similar to interference on an analogue TV. They're short horizontal green lines which appear and disappear extremely quickly, so quickly that they don't appear if I take a video with my cell phone. They appear even if I'm in safe mode now and flash more if I touch the mouse pad. If I am not in safe mode the nvidia driver doesn't even load, windows doesn't load and I get the BSOD.

I don't think it was a heat problem. The gpu's never go over 75 degrees ingame and if I press Fn + 1 I put the fans at 100% which is how I game.

I've got a Zalman NC2000 laptop cooler too.

I was going to reinstall the driver first and see what happens?

Duh I'm so down... there goes €3000 worth of laptop :(
  12. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
  14. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, that sounds exactly like how my 8400GS died. Artifact, then you roll back drivers etc and its fine again. After a few days, it crapped out. Try without SLI and see whether one of them still works?
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It really does sound like you have failing graphics (is this an SLI laptop of all things?) BP.

If so, you should be able to get compensation under the nvidia bumpgate scandal compensation scheme.

Perhaps try looking at www.nvidiasettlement.com and see if you're eligible for compensation. This is the website that nvidia set up themselves for this.
  16. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its glitchy as heck on PS3 also, damn "...fighting by the numbers...", been stuck in mah head for a month now...lol
  17. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    yup..

Hmmm one of the conditions is that one must be a United States resident. Apparently it's ok for nvidia to screw the rest of the world :shadedshu

I think I'll see what I can do, change drivers, open laptop and give it a good blow-out with air (just did that barely a month ago though), do whatever anyone suggests in this thread etc........ then I'll contact the seller notebookguru.de and see what he comes up with.... :ohwell:
  18. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you set the PC not to reboot automatically on the BSOD and snap an image, or at least grab the 0X....... numbers. Sometimes googling those will lead you to a more direct path versus knowing its as big as a GPU issue as it is now;)
  19. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    All sorts of weird lines at the boot screen points to a hardware caused issue. But the fact that it isn't constant (and that you say temps are decent) makes me wonder: Maybe the GPU RAM chips are overheating? They are usually poorly cooled (if at all) in laptops. If so, cleaning it well might work.

If that doesn't help, though, it might indicate GPU trouble which in general is a real bitch outside of warranty on a laptop. It is fixable, though (if the GPU is causing it, the chip can in theory be replaced), but that might be awfully expensive even if you find someone who does that.

Sorry :(
  20. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Googling those 0x numbers is promising... I seen not one result saying dead or dying hardware so far

*prays*
  21. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Run scan disk full at boot up.....(windows repair) fixed my recent issues.

Kinda sounds like a heat issue, but lets not think that way yet....
  23. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'll try the windows repair when I get home.

Can it be a heat issue since it also happens if I run the GPU fans at 100%??
  24. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Like I said above, it might not be the GPUs themselves that are overheating, but perhaps their memory chips. And overheating can occur even with fans on max if the airflow is poor due to it being blocked somehow.
  25. jagd

Thanks Received:
    of course possible ,but since you are out of warranty open notebook and clean fan(s) and inside from dust (if there is).Btw iirc you are in EU send an e-mail to EU comission about bumpgate ask for same rights.