1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

software for making bootable drive images?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by spy2520, Jul 27, 2009.

1. spy2520 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am interested in taking my main hard drive with 3 bootable partitions (Windows 7, Vista, and XP) and transferring it to an SSD. Is there a free program that will directly copy everything and allow it to boot just like it does now?

If not, i see there are some free ones that dont make bootable drives, could i just copy it and put in the OS discs to repair the boot sector?

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Free not sure about that...but a lot of times the drive vendor will include a free app to ghost your image..

3. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    acronis true image. i used that along time ago to completely clone my old laptop hard drive to a new one connected with an external case :)

great app, not sure if it has a trail edition, best to look on their website. but of course you could always get it the other way

4. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can d/l a trial of Acronis from the web site.... great program

5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    Heirens boot disk has norton ghost on it that always worked for me. Dunno if that's illegal to say here or not though

6. spy2520 New Member

Thanks Received:
    gotcha

7. spy2520 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have another question: like i said my OS hard drive has 3 OSes on it, XP, Vista and Windows 7 RC. I'm about to install the Windows 7 professional RTM and once its done i want to image that partition only.

I plan on using driveimage xml to clone the partition, i need it to be bootable though, so it should be a bootable clone, right? Or can i fix the windows boot loader to clear up any problems i may have?