• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sons of the Forest Implements FSR 3, Growing Support to 15 Titles

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
"Sons of the Forest" is an open-world survival horror game, in which you are cast away on a remote island with a dangerous forest and cave network, and have to find the means to survive and thrive. This isn't Far Cry, there are no missions as such, you craft your own journey of survival against hostile weather, wildlife, cannibalistic tribes, hunger, and disease. The overarching story is that you're sent on a remote island to find a missing billionaire. The game just released yesterday, and is a sequel to the 2014 title "The Forest." This is one of the first titles to support AMD FSR 3 at launch, including frame generation.

Consequently, FSR 3 Support has grown to 15 titles. AMD's answer to NVIDIA DLSS 3 Frame Generation, FSR 3 nearly doubles performance in games using a proprietary interpolation technology. The list of titles featuring FSR 3 include Forspoken, Immortals of Aveum, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, MotorCubs RC, Call of Duty Modern Warfare III & Warzone, Farming Simulator 22, The Talos Principle 2, Estencel, Mortal Online 2, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Starship Troopers: Extermination, The Thaumaturge, Starfield, and now Sons of the Forest. The list is expected to grow as AMD works to bring back Anti-Lag+, a whole-system latency reduction technology, which was also a vital component of FSR 3.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Still not a fan of the word performance being used here, after all the latencies increase, the render time for frames also does not decrease, visual fluidity seems like a better term here.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Processor Intel i5 4440
Motherboard Asus H81
Cooling RAIJINTEK Rhea
Memory 2 x 4GB Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX 970 SC 4GB
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 Evo, Seagate 1TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 23" 1080p 120Hz
Case Bitfenix Pandora M-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80 Plus
Software Windows 10 64bit
Yeah is it meh?
Had it on a check this out list... :D

I'm loving it. About 30 hours in so far. I was a big fan of the original and played that to death. They have just officially launched out of beta too, with big changes to the game and story. My weekend is sorted :D

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
Sons of Borefest
It can be pretty boring solo at the start. It's pretty mild until the bad stuff really starts going down. Can't say more without spoiling it.
If you're playing with friends it can be a hoot.

Still not a fan of the word performance being used here, after all the latencies increase, the render time for frames also does not decrease, visual fluidity seems like a better term here.
Agreed. Fluidity is a better way to phrase it.

I'm loving it. About 30 hours in so far. I was a big fan of the original and played that to death. They have just officially launched out of beta too, with big changes to the game and story. My weekend is sorted :D

I haven't played it in a while so I'm kind of stoked from reading that. :)

Mine18

Since this is a Unity DX11 Game, it didn't add FSRFG as the plugin doesn't offer that functionality yet, also confirmed by players on the discussion forums.