1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony launches Playstation download service for PS3 and PSP

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony has started offering old Playstation games for download to Playstation 3 owners. These games are meant for the PSP, so you need to own both to take advantage of this offer. Games cost $5.99 and can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store accessed through the Playstation 3. The current games offered are: Cool Boarders, Crash Bandicoot, Hot Shots Golf 2, Syphon Filter and Tekken 2. Sony will release another wave of games later this month.

Source: DailyTech

2. TheShape New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if these will end up on the internet. If they are meant for the PSP, then we shouldn't require any other software or firmware fixes I hope. That would be sweet.

-TheShape

3. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is stupid for 3 reasons:

1. You need a 600$ mediator to get old PS1 games to the PSP.
    2. Most ppl already own those games, and dont want to buy them a second time.
    3. You can download almost every PS1 game off the internet, however no one but the intelligent homebrew society knows this.

4. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    true but the games arnt too expensive i guess its obvious whats gna happen tho kinda dumb because u have to own a ps3 as well

5. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    The only good thing i see in this deal is the price of the downloads especially when compared to the nintendo prices, no doubt some people will buy a psp just to use these games and no doubt this is what mr sony is hoping

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Going throught the PS3 is only a temporary solution from what I have read. Eventually sony wants to make the service independent of the PS3, so all you need is a PSP.

I know I would probably download a few classics to replay them, especially at only $5.99. I would love to have FFVII on my PSP.

I am not really into the homebrew/illegal methods since I like to actually play my PSP games which require I have a semi-updated firmware.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU