1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Blaster X-Fi Issues Explored

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SpoonMuffin, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry i didnt copy over the images, somebody else is welcome to post them if they like, but this just conferms that creative sucks arse at programing!!!!
  2. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats why I purchased the Azentech X-meridian, no bloatware, no problems. It works!
  3. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya but can u hear everything i can hear on bf2 with ultra high sound settings and eax on?
  4. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure, dont play battlefield.

It supports only upto EAX 2.0, So i doubt I can enable EAX HD

EAX will be redundant once vista is out as Microsoft is dropping direct sound 3d which EAX is an extention of.

But on the plus side I get Dolby digital and DTS bitstreams to my AV reciever in any game with more than 2 channels :nutkick:
  5. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    uh...me to
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What other alternatives are out there that can compete with the features of the X-Fi?
  7. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Txcharger: acctualy read the review of the razor sound card, bf2142 sounds BETTER with the razor sound card then with the x-fi, the razor card uses the exect same chip as the auzentech X-meridian

and those extra "voices" acctualy dont help the game be more real, the human ear can only hear so many voices befor its overloaded and cant hear anymore.

as stated EAX isnt gonna work under vista as it does now under xp.

eax above 2.0 isnt worth the bother honestly, and the x-fi has WORSE audio quility then the X-meridian or razor sound card, im not talking just games or just music i mean allaround worse quility!!!
    creative crystalizer is NASTY, sounds worse then my adi1988 onboard sound!!!!!, well acctualy spec wise the 1988 is better then x-fi in many ways anyway :)

your x-fi is made of fail and expence as they say about things like the ps3 ;)
  8. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    uh let me guess u like macs to
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    PS3=cheapest blu-ray player+gaming console=very nice
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  10. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it as with Creative cards you can only experience DD/DTS with pre-encoded sources such as DVD's (even a 10 pound soundcard can do this:p)

Azuentech's X-meridians have a built in encoder so one can still experience DD/DTS from MP3's, avi files, games (including battlefield), any sound source!

No disrespect, Creative make good soundcards, but none of their x-fi series include DD/DTS, I believe creative support Dolby EX though, which is a fancy way of convertig 5.1 to 7.1
  11. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bluegear's B-Enspirer kicks crap out of the X-fi!!

Features:

Features for BlueGear's b-Enspire sound card can be found on BlueGear's web site.

DTS® Interactive - a real-time 5.1 channel encoder that takes 2 or more channels and encodes them into a DTS bit stream
    DTS® Neo:pC - an up-mix matrix that turns any 2 channel audio into 7.1 channel surround sound
    Dolby® Digital Live (AC-3) real time 5.1 channel encoding bit-stream to facilitate the connection with CE AV receiver
    Dolby® Pro-Logic IIx surround processor, spreading stereo audio into 7.1 channel surround sound
    Renowned Dolby® Headphone technology, conveying 5.1 surround and 3D gaming audio over stereo headphones
    The latest Dolby® Virtual Speaker solution, creating amazing virtual surround sound from a generic two-speaker configuration
    C-Media FlexBass™ - configurable LFE channel crossover frequency (from 50 to 250Hz)
    C-Media Magic Voice™, a popular feature for disguising voice in online chatting
    C-Media Xear3D™ 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter technology
    C-Media's unique Karaoke functions: Microphone Echo, Key-shifting
    Individual 10-band EQ for each channel
    27 global reverberation environments
    Supports most industrial standards of 3D sound for PC gaming, including EAX™ 1.0&2.0, A3D™ 1.0 and DirectSound™
    Supports 7.1 CH digital audio playback for WinXP/2K,/ME/98SE(Microsoft® DirectX V.9.0 and above is required)
    7.1 channel output – Up to 7.1 channels of pristine 24-bit/192 kHz audio output
    High Quality Stereo Input – Two channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio input for super-clean recordings from instruments and other line-level devices
    Dedicated Microphone Input

http://www.atruereview.com/bluegears_enspirer/index.php
  12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

there ya go,built in dts.

its as bad as intel versus amd.you pay your money,you take your choice.

why argue about it?
  13. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    battlefield 2 is the only game you'll ever hear mentioned when discussing x-fi's (2142 dosent count, its a standalone mod)

1(1.5) game(s) vs many issues??, no thanks
  14. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I established that DTS/DD can be achieved but ONLY with pre-encoded material such as DVDs, any soundcard can do this.

I bet you any money that when you play an MP3, you only get prologic or PCM-48 from your AV reciever
  15. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is why i still use my (4 year)old nforce2 soundstorm for jukebox/movies
  16. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed the soundstorm were gd.
  17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    from here-http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1893828,00.asp

http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=121022,00.asp

http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=121023,00.asp
  18. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you admit it, the DTS-610 is not an X-fi card. Just an optional device creative put together to get extra money from their customers! X-fi's dont have DDL/DTS encoding!

That how you know creative dont appreciate their customers, makin' them purchase an DTS-610 after shelling out for a high end X-fi...oh yeah then you still need the AV reciever as well!!

The DTS-610 supports DTS and PCM 48, but what about prologic and Dolby?
  19. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i still have to say i saw an incredible increase of my fps in bf2 with my x-fi card let alone im not being killed as easily lol

but x-fi is still probably the best soundcard on the market for gaming...the razer is good but i think that the creative x-fi series has alot more to it
  20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    As it turns out, protected content isn't allowed through the digital audio output port.

NOTICE- It's a workaround for dealing with content-protection issues forced on Creative Labs by the content providers.-NOTICE
  21. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've heard EAX HD, and it is indeed impressive. I dont know much about the Razor but the spec is almost identical to the Mederian and there are a couple of threads were people are actually tradin' in their X-fi's for X-Meridians

I'm not a company basher, I respect creative as they are on top, but they need to give us more value/features and stop making us buy Y just to fix X, then make us update driver Z to get Y and X correct.
  22. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tigger69, how come other companies such as Bluegear, Azentech and Nvidia have not followed this protected content rule? as they offer DD/DTS through coax and optical.

TXcharger read these:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1113796

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
  23. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    upmixing from analog?, i wouldnt let anything that uses 3.5mm audio jacks near my receiver, even with the highest quality cables, the signal loss is unacceptable

And the c-media chips are lacking in game features

come on nvidia, make the soundstorm2 (preferably as a seperate card)
  24. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree. EAX 3/4/5 features would of been nice on C-media, but with vista I guess it really dont matter?
  25. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok...and razer stole the technology lol...i still got tons of love for razer(love my copperhead) but i guess since this chip or w/e is newer than the x-fi than it should be better, but i still own and love my x-fi and i dont really think there is much of a difference between the 2 cards. but there both damn good cards its just a matter of preference, but i do like the x-ram on the x-fi it WORKS