• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Space Research] Micro-G Arachnid Habits

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Snakes on a Plane? No ... Even better. Spiders in space.

New International Space Station Tests on arachnid habits (like web spinning) in micro-gravitational environments.

More here

IMO, this is a worthy experiment given the strength of spider web strands (per units of volume) and what the structural makeup of the strands is like in near zero-G.

Cool stuff. I'll be watching for results on this one (if they ever publish them).

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Okay I fixed the link and removed the posts.

The reason I posted this thread is to get scientific speculation.

Let's say that the spider's web threads are 100 (or more) times denser due to the near zero-G environment.
This could mean that a fabric woven out of the threads could make Kevlar look like tissue paper.
It could mean a huge increase in weight bearing strength of a braided rope made from it.
The adhesive quality of spider webing is already legenday (at least to flies), could that be a new derived type of super adhesive?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This could mean that a fabric woven out of the threads could make Kevlar look like tissue paper.
It could mean a huge increase in weight bearing strength of a braided rope made from it.
The adhesive quality of spider webing is already legenday (at least to flies), could that be a new derived type of super adhesive?

Your thoughts?

I have dreamed of this since I was a child. Seriously.

I wonder what happened to the spidergoats.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I don't know, Frick. I read that too when it first came out and thought it was very interesting.
Perhaps you have to inject the DNA into kids and let them grow to see the results (which would account for a timed process).

If you can produce amazing things in zero-G, perhaps the goats can just go back to being regular old goats. That would be superior than altering the genetic makeup of a species.

Of course, even if nothing pans out, there is ample opportunity for a cheesy original SyFy movie.

W

wahdangun

but still its not economical to harvest it yet.

I think the best way is to alter silk worm dna so it will produce spider web type of silk.

scooper22

Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX (uv, oc)
Motherboard 90-MXGIP0-A0UAYZ
Cooling VENOMOUS-X + TR-FDB-12-600 + PLPS
Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
Video Card(s) 21188-00-40R + DCACO-V3400-BLA01 (uv, unlock)
Storage WD10EALS-00Z8A0 + 4044951000029
Display(s) VM633AT
Case FT02B-W
Audio Device(s) SB0090, ALC892
Power Supply BN162
Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Yeah, but back in '73 everyone was smoking pot and had the munchies and were more interested in oreo cookies than space spiders. :D

On topic ... Advances in our ability to analyze the results may show things previously not noticed.
Or not.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's milking the spiders that's difficult...:laugh:..hence the goat. Might as well make SpiderBovines.

T

twilyth

I think they have the chemical structure of drag line silk (the strongest) down. IIRC, it alternates between a very strong fiber and one that has a helix-like spring structure. That's how it can be both strong and flexible.

I think the problem with putting silk genes into other animals is that spiders have a special organ where the different chemicals for each kind of silk are mixed. I think that is the main problem as opposed to finding a way to manufacture those chemicals.

What we really need for things like body armor is a molecule that contracts when stressed so that if it's hit, all of the molecules in the area come together at the point of impact and create an opposing force. I think I read about something like this but I probably wouldn't be able to find it again. Something like that would not only make for stronger lighter armor, but would reduce the trauma you get when hit by a bullet. Even if it doesn't go through the vest, you'll still be hurtin' afterwards.