• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Specs Don't Matter: TechPowerUp Poll on GTX 970 Controversy

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
I guess there should have been a poll asking if the 970 launched with the correct specs would you have still bought it. As far as companies goes......they all lie and slant thr truth in some way. Nvidia got caught with its pants down. But to think they're alone or it's the first time is naive. People are still pleased with the 970 because of its performance peroid.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Did anyone see the figures that released this morning? Out of all the 970's purchased, less than 5% were returned after all the media blowout.
Considering their regular return rate for defective cards is about 10% (all models, this figure includes custom cards), 5% may make this more of a problem for nVidia than most would think. It is disappointingly low, I must admit, but the real backlash for this screw-up is likely to come from retailers (trust me, they're really pissed) and partners (the guys that would consider it a big win if they get to save a single cent per card).
I think the biggest issue for nVidia isn't how many people want to return their cards, but how many people won't be buying nVidia cards in the future.
If I get a bad tasting coffee, I'll still drink it, but I'm likely to explore other options before I consider coming back.

Of course they're happy with the card's performance. It's a pretty great card and I don't remember anyone saying otherwise. That's not the issue, though. The issue is that nVidia LIED in order to increase its profits. So far, the only people that just don't seem to understand the importance of what this means are nVidia fanboys. The polls and forum discussions and everything else confirms this also, even more clearly than anything else. You people just don't want to understand that THIS affects everyone else, not just GTX 970 owners, and that as such, everyone should rally to send a clear message that this cannot be allowed to stand. The way things stand now, nVidia got away with it better than they ever expected. They'll most certainly do this again, because they have their goon squads of white... erm... green knights in shining armor, always ready and willing to let them get away with murder and silence anyone that would complain. Maybe next month they'll decide to rebrand all GTX 960 cards as GTX 970 and sell them at GTX 970 prices, you folks should be really pleased then.
Most of what you write above is BS, an overblown and at times nearly hysterical reaction to what is essentially a marketing issue.

System Name Casual Movie Rig
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-Deluxe
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9
Video Card(s) None yet
Storage SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch | WD VelociRaptor 1TB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64MB
Display(s) BenQ Professional Gaming XL2430T 24 inch 1ms GTG black
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Corsair AXi Digital AX860i
Software Windows 8.1 PRO 64bit English Retail
the Poll also doesn't matter. i don't think that many gtx 970 owners have account here.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
Most of what you write above is BS, an overblown and at times nearly hysterical reaction to what is essentially a marketing issue.
marketing issues? cant say I agree with everything scorpion said but you should take off the blinders. companies lie all the time and most of them get away with it. pc hardware is not suppose to take a shit because its trying to take advantage of all the resources it has.
ok ok.. just for shits and giggles lets say it was marketed with the right specs.. well it would still be wrong.. why? because it has that small segment of useless vram there. that is ouch.. why? simply because it is there and not blocked off. touch that vram and you will stutter.. any tech site that said it is better than having a plain 3.5gb.. :shadedshu: I wont get into it further.

JMO

Did anyone see the figures that released this morning? Out of all the 970's purchased, less than 5% were returned after all the media blowout.

IT figures. Pretty hard to have high rates of return when Nvidia, it's partners, and most retailers are refusing to accept returns (based on the false advertising claims).

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
IT figures. Pretty hard to have high rates of return when Nvidia, it's partners, and most retailers are refusing to accept returns (based on the false advertising claims).

Where are you trying to return your card to? Ebuyer will accept a return, but I'm not returning my card, OCUK accepted returns, so I imagine most other UK etailers will accept returns too.

JMO

Where are you trying to return your card to? Ebuyer will accept a return, but I'm not returning my card, OCUK accepted returns, so I imagine most other UK etailers will accept returns too.

Oh, I don't own a GTX 970 :rolleyes:.

My trusty HD 6970 is till chugging away.

I'm aware that some people are having success with the returns, but I am also seeing a a fair number of posts describing a struggle at the retailer level to get any kind of RMA.

At the manufacturer level, well most of the majors have made there position clear (and Nvidia certainly has).'

Personally, if I owed a 970, and had no complaints about performance, I'd probably keep it if I was offered some kind of compensation. Otherwise, I'd return it on principle with a big FU to Nvidia.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Considering their regular return rate for defective cards is about 10% (all models, this figure includes custom cards)
Just out of interest, what's your source. I pored over pretty much all the publicly available returns data some time ago for a historical PC graphics article series ( I used the same updated source in a post a couple of weeks ago) , and aside for some particular SKUs (reduced BoM mainly, and badly designed cooling), very few card models approached that figure - and those returns aren't all card failures ( buyers remorse, dissatisfaction with noise/coil whine/heat, maybe the card was too big for the chassis). The sample size starts at 100 returns of individual SKUs, so the overall numbers sold would be a minimum of 1000 units for a 10% return rate. A reasonable sample size.
5% may make this more of a problem for nVidia than most would think. It is disappointingly low, I must admit, but the real backlash for this screw-up is likely to come from retailers (trust me, they're really pissed) and partners (the guys that would consider it a big win if they get to save a single cent per card).
Nvidia will likely come to an arrangement with resellers and AIB/AIC/OEM's. It would be very likely that that these outlets will either return the cards to the OEM/ODM or distro, refurbish the cards and sell them as such in the same markets. EVGA already does this with their Step Up program - B stock (coded -RX) is sold discounted to recoup the majority of the cost. The biggest issue facing Nvidia (and AMD for that matter) would be if these cards show up in quantity at a sizeable discount either through resell or eBay (say $250 or less), which would impact new card sales. My guess is that the cards will be sold as open box by the large resellers like Newegg, and the majority will go to secondary markets, where pricing of new cards is fairly exorbitant thanks to shipping costs and local tax......IMO.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Thanks for providing the link. Very promising - and that's without the image quality enhancements promised by the feature set.
Would have been nice to see the vRAM usage comparison (DX11 vs DX12 vs Mantle) on the 290X just to round out the preliminary testing.

yeah seems they left that out along with the 970 :ohwell:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Have anyone happened to run across the specs from Nvidia where they actually state the wrong L2-cache and ROPs? I know there are plenty of reviews showing the wrong specs for GTX 970, but I want to see proof that that mistake is done by Nvidia, not by the reviewers assuming the specs would be the same as GTX 980.

I'm still wondering when people are going to sue AMD for incorrect performance claims about Mantle, and the fact that it's still not open source as they claim?

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Have anyone happened to run across the specs from Nvidia where they actually state the wrong L2-cache and ROPs? I know there are plenty of reviews showing the wrong specs for GTX 970, but I want to see proof that that mistake is done by Nvidia, not by the reviewers assuming the specs would be the same as GTX 980.
The incorrect specifications were printed in the GTX 970/980 reviewers guide. ROPs and cache aren't listed in any actual product specification information viewable from product pages via Nvidia themselves, nor their card partners - it's a little esoteric for general specs.
I'm still wondering when people are going to sue AMD for incorrect performance claims about Mantle, and the fact that it's still not open source as they claim?
Unlikely. There are enough proviso's and generalities in AMD's literature to preclude anything like that, as there are with any claimed performance benefits from all vendors. The biggest issue might be continued support with the strides DX12 is making, considering the big head start Mantle supposedly had over it and AMD's claims that the Mantle API is tailored for their own GCN architecture. The last point is probably the most salient, since DX12 is vendor agnostic yet is performing on par (using less mature drivers I'd speculate) with Mantle on AMD architecture.
yeah seems they left that out along with the 970 :ohwell:
At this stage, you'll probably find the 970 outperforming the 290X under DX12. As for memory usage, Ryan Smith, the author of the article, stated that AMD cards were allocating 4GB of virtual memory, and that Nvidia allows a 16GB allocation (as shown by the DX Diagnostic screens here)

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
970 owner here and I genuinely agree with nearly every point of view - from my own which is that the 970 remains a top-tiered option, to how NVIDIA very deliberately allowed false specs to disseminate; to those who won't be touching this card because of all this. But the one thing that irks me are the comments coming from AMD lovers who have not seen the 970 in action and yet they are talking as if they personally experienced what has been demonstrated time and time again isn't even happening with the 970. I have and am playing a lot of modern to fresh-off-the-press games at either the very max settings and I have not had any issues. Any. The drivers are maturing for Maxwell, so essentially this card is actually getting better. So to all the AMD comrades out there, sorry to tell you, the 970 is an A+ card. It has been since day one and remains to this day.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Spoken like a true fanboy.
You could have excluded AMD from your statement and still sounded reasonably valid.

I would like to see microsoft put this kind of memory system to the test and how the driver treats it. i guess they have been doing it for a long time if its true about 660's..

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Spoken like a true fanboy.
You could have excluded AMD from your statement and still sounded reasonably valid.

Why is someone stating that the performance of the product they bought is meeting their needs indicative of a fanboy? By your logic, everyone who owns any card and says they are happy with it, is as well.
He even says Nvidia lied, that's not fanboy behaviour, he simply states his card is running well, in the face of many accusations that come from non 970 owners that the card doesn't work. Fact is, like the Anandtech article shows, most people are finding a hard time forcing the issue.
It doesn't mean it's not there though, simply that his needs aren't meeting any problems. If that irks you enough that you wish to call out fanboy, it paints the same picture on you I'm afraid.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I can say I am extremely happy with my Nvidia card without the need to slag of AMD in the same sentence.
I can also say I am extremely Happy with my Radeon card without the need to slag of Nvidia, get my point?
P.S. don't be afraid.