1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Subscriber Agreement

Discussion in 'Games' started by HossHuge, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The Steam Subscriber Agreement was last updated in 2005, so you already agreed to an agreement anyway. They have the right to update it.

You must not use iTunes because I swear their agreement changes almost every time I update the apps on my iPod touch. Steam's last agreement went untouched for just under 7 years.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Imho the question should be how fair is it to change things like this, If something was reasonably and legitimately your right before why are they allowed to change it, and how fair is it that you could buy 50 or so games over the last few years only to have this choice or play none of your games.

If we all were told we had to work weekends , flatrate with no short day and no excemptions due to your boss changeing your contract via a loop in the prior contract , say no and this months and future wages are docked, i am damn sure i know what any person would say:shadedshu

qubit says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @OP

Yeah, these big companies are asshats.

Holding you to ransom and not letting you even play your games without "agreement", is well below the belt. Remember, the law is drafted by rich people for rich people, which is why they get away with crap like this. :nutkick:

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    ...what "law?" An EULA is not a law.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Indeed not, but in some cases it can legally force you to waive your rights under the law. I'm hardly an expert on this and the USA and UK handle this a bit differently, but I know that this is done and stands up in court, unfortunately.

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Another person doesn't know what a "right" is.

7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Then explain it smartypants. ;)

I've openly said I'm not an expert on this, but I have seen it reported in quite a few places that contracts can twist arms in this way and this is what I'm going by.

8. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    The degree to which a EULA is binding is a matter of jurisprudence, what is clear is that it is in the companies' interests to have you undersign one: presumably the permission you grant allows them to behave in a manner thet would be legally questionable in the absence of your permission.

qubit says thanks.
  9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Ah TMM who is all for freedom of speech and gun laws yet at the same time doesn't even know when his "constitutionaly given rights" and freedom of speech are being swiped from under his nose, and when he doesn't even realise it or care....

You contridict yourself so often it hurts, you would die for your right to bear arms from what I have seen yes? and believe in the constitution when it suits you though when your brothers in arms raise an issue with privacy you sheepishly hide under your cushion of they must be being paranoid and there is nothing to hide so have my details :confused:

So you want to keep your "constitutional" right to bear arms yet on the other hand you are happy for the corporates and government to monitor every other aspect of your life and don't give a shit? glad you're not my countryman!

Raw and qubit say thanks.
  10. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Can't let it go, can you?
    Sure sign of your superior intellect. What else is festering in that superior mind of yours?

Man, you just give EVERONE shit around these here parts hombre.
    I thought I served you pretty good the other day.
    Seems you don't even realize that (or have a hard time with reading comprehension)!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    qubit says thanks.
  11. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Well said and accurate.

qubit says thanks.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My rights are fully intact as the current law stands. The government is not taking away from my privacy. Do I want the government to peek into my computer. No. Honestly under the originally written Constitution they cannot without probable cause (Never mind the Patriot Act). However this has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT. This has to do with a private company and a EULA. If I don't want them to look into my computer simply don't press "I agree". Problem solved. No ones rights are being violated. You do not have a right to video games or to play EA games. You also do not have a right to drive. Again learn what a right is before you cry you are losing them.

I owned you so bad in that thread it wasn't even funny. I felt bad for you honestly. Did you go back and read it again? I sure hope so. ;)

Oh and just in case you blocked it out like a molestation here it is again.....

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2694236&postcount=16

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  13. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    The analogy suffers from the fact that the government provides driving licences. Moreover, I require a driving licence as proof that I am able to drive safely, what possible end can a licence to play video games serve?

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have a right to drive in the US. You have to be certified to use the privilege IF you are deemed capable by the government. If it were a right you wouldn't need the governments permission. You also do not have a right to health care. I know its a scary world but yeah you don't have a right to everything. Just what the Constitution says (speaking if you are a US citizen).

This is in the US mind you. Dunno about your country.

15. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    We can certainly define driving or gaming as a privilege; however, we agree that the driving licence has a clear purpose in terms of accredition, leaving us with the question of the purpose of EULA's within the sphere of gaming.

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the "License" to use the software how the developers see fit. Like the government telling you that you cannot drive on its roads faster then 55MPH. However they can change that speed limit to 35MPH anytime and you must agree to those rules if you wish to keep driving on those streets.

ALSO you also do not need a license to drive on a privet track OR to buy car. Just to drive on public roads owned by the government.

Oh and this is for Raw.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  17. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Whereby we have a private company postulating as a government, which to many minds is problematic. All relations with these companies are already covered by existing legislation.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No its not. Its granting you permission to use their software how they deem. Don't like the rules? Don't play the game. Its their software. Not yours. If you don't like the rules make your own game and give it away free with the option to do whatever anyone likes.

19. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Why does the company require further definition of the rulles governing our relations in the form of a EULA when they are already legislatively defined? It appears to me that it is a case of the companies disliking the rules.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because legislation allows them to make EULA's. ;) If they were not legal they could not be sold.

21. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Given all the rage over the years over video games not going exactly the way some expected or were promised you would think it would be easy to understand, look at Mass Effect 3, the ending generated a lot of rage which led to hate mail, charities, threats of law suits, and claims against EA to the BBB.

22. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Certainly I understand that companies produce EULA's to protect themselves legally, particularly in America, a haven for lawsuits and lawyers, but what interests me is to what extent this protection occasions detriment to my standing before the law.

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Most EULA's will not fully stand up in court. However the more they include, the more leeway it gives the defense. There are so many stupid lawsuits in the US man. Everyone sues everyone. If you have money you are a target. Hell even a simple fender bender could cost you tens of thousands.

EULA give the company a safety net. That's the reason its there. EULA's are fully legal man. If you don't like them call your Representative.

24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    exactly, which is why their agreement is not bad for us in any way. it just blocks a loophole that cost them time and money and got us nothing. at least now there is a viable route for recourse.

if you ever actually paid attention to the original agreement, the one that YOU agreed to - they reserved that right. you have no grounds to complain because you obviously never even read the first agreement!! you already agreed that they have the right to change the agreement whenever they want.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a tech forum. Logic need not apply. I should report your post for making to much logic. Hell I know my posts have been reported a few times already :laugh:

People hate facts. Ive already told them all this yet they think they have grounds for a million man march for a violation of thier civil rights or something.

Darkleoco and digibucc say thanks.