1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Updating Problems.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by overclocking101, Apr 5, 2011.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so got a couple games and cant seem to force updates and steam will not update them!! WTF! tried restarting the pc, tried restarting steam several times, deleted "clientregistry.blob" wtf! everything google brings up says one of these should have forced an update but still none! maybe im just a newb and forgot something?? why cant software be as easy as hardware is!

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried verifying the integrity of the games?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    yeah that buttons magic, using it you can basically do anything

i normally use it so that when i reinstall windows i can just copy the entire steam folder and the games don't have to be re-downloaded

4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    sometimes the news section on steam wont work for me, its used to telling you what patches did and such

5. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    .. You have made sure that these games even HAVE updates/new updates, right? Cause I know of a lot of games on Steam which never got updated.
    And if you've just downloaded them, they may already be fully updated.

6. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never seen so many people that have a problem with steam or just outright hate it. Seems to be popular on these forums.

I for one love it. I've never had one issue with Steam or any of my games since 2004

7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i do love it its just that you sometimes get issues with it, notably ive never had a problem downloading or updating a game before

8. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i love steam, but i also have a few complains, mostly about some bugs and performance (but they are usually don't prevent me from playing games, so i'm not going to complain too much)

9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    ill check ":verify game cache" and see what that does. yes I know the games have updates. thanks all

10. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could never get steam to work on any computer. A few I built, two I bought, my friend's computer, no way, ever. Never worked, in any way whatsoever, ever.

And I try it every year or so, hoping that I may one day be able to play the games I payed for all those years ago, but it is useless.

Sometime it loads games but then freezes.
    Sometimes the computer bluescreens.
    Sometimes the Steam software locks up the desktop.
    Sometimes the audio starts screeching and I have to turn off the pc from the PSU switch.
    Sometimes it loads steam, and then the screen goes black.
    Sometimes it loads steam and lets me browse some of the menus in the software, then it just goes away; it disappears from the desktop, just gone, no error pop-up at all.
    Sometimes it loads a game, lets me load a level, and then the computer crashes to the desktop.

My friends always try to "fix it" or "reinstall" steam, we have even switched out parts and reinstalled windows. I have never gotten it to work, in any way whatsoever, in the history of the universe. The only reason I even know what some of the Half Life games look like is because of the 360 Orange Box release. I also hate that sometimes I buy games that run on steam, but I didn't know it (there should be a huge PINK warning sticker covering the entire box) so I never got to play them (Lost Planet).

I adamantly tell people to never go near it, never buy any games, never install it, and especially keep other people from using it at all costs, no exceptions.:shadedshu

11. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll::roll::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:
    :toast::toast::toast:

12. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow thats a bit harsh isn't it. i guess the other 3 billion* people using steam should take your advise???????????????????????????

*yes i know i may be exaggerating!
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

13. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's not normal. I've never heard of anybody having an issue with steam like this before lol. Millions of people are logged in at all times. Everybody I know has and uses it! I dunno man you must just be really..really...REALLY unlucky :laugh:

Captain.Abrecan says thanks.
  14. Dave63

Dave63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear a lot about this steam thing I have 2 games I got with my gtx460 mafia 2 and just cause 2. I go to get the from nvidia and it takes me to steam now I am not a on line player, can you download to dvd so I can play them off line? Have not found any info for this I also have way to many passwords as it is do not need anymore. LOL.

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem isn't on Steams end. It's either at bad hardware config, setup config (Windows) or network configuration. Most people use it without problems. Jumping to the conclusion of blaming Steam for your problems will never solve the issue.

@Dave63

There is an offline mode for Steam.

Dave63 says thanks.
  16. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, that is what's weird about it. I let my friends use the account, since at least then someone can use the stuff. I almost thought it was the antivirus or some kind of hardware fault but I can never figure it out. My gf was pissed as hell, she likes to play peggle and when she moved in she sold her computer. Not a happy girl. Sims 2 & 3 with the settings pretty high was helping me out for a while:cool:, but she is still pissed:(. She just plays the demo on the Orange Box for the 360 now. I think I should build her a comp for her birthday, but I am concerned the same thing will happen, and I will be out even more $$$

17. Dave63

Dave63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Dave63

There is an offline mode for Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will look at that.

18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If some of you are using routers, either try enabling DMZ mode for your PC and/or bypass the router all together. This is the most common issue with Steam for folks. Routers blocking ports.