• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Storage Controller

ilgoldman

I apologize for saying a dirty word in my other thread. Won't happen again. I'm now thinking the storage controller is for the DVD/CD optical drive? What else could it be?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is not anything illegal or wrong he has on his Dell people...
It is not Daemon tools. It is not warez.

What you are referring to is a driver\file that Dell support uses to give you alerts about certain system troubles. It monitors certain system functions.
It comes with Dell Utility Tools and some other software they supply.

It is DAMON... stands for Dell Alert Monitor.
There may, also, be one named DXMon, too, if you have an enterprise system.

It does use some system resources and has been know to slow down some systems.
If it bothers you... uninstall all the Dell bloatware or do a fresh install of a clean OS.

Google the thing and read up on it.

Edit:

I really doubt it was cracking or stealing anything... It does make a virtual device and even adds it to device manager.
The reason I am stating this is, because, I had the same thing on a system I was fixing for one of my neighbors and had to figure out why there was all these devices in device manager with odd names and not being used.
It was misbehavin' and not cleaning up after itself... I did a fresh install on her system and never looked back at any Dell bloatware and told her not to install that stuff.

Last edited: