• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange behaviour with my i5 1235u HP laptop after Windows reinstall

bkarthikudupa

When i open any game for the first few mins the game runs smoothly on my igpu i.e all the performance cores are unparked.
But after 3-5 mins my performance cores get parked and my whole game lags very badly, when i alt+tab out of the game even windows lags badly.
This happens only while gaming and not during everyday tasks. As you can see in one of the attached all the cores get parked and only the last 4 efficiency cores run.
Processor speed reaches below 0.20 at times . This issue first started outta nowhere a week back when i reinstalled my windows 11.
Temps are pretty stable at around 60s-70s when benchmarking or under load. Any help would be really appreciated.
I already tried reinstalling windows 11 and windows 10 multiple times.
Intel xtu shows my cpu was power limit throttling.
1713118775228.png
1713118789074.png
1713201091276.png

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
was it HPs OS image or microsoft's via the media creation tool or rufus?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor i5-12600kf @ 5.3 P and 3.9 E (1.28v)
Motherboard MSi Z790 Pro Wifi
Cooling Frost Commander 140
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Video Card(s) XFX MERC310 7900 XT (oc'd)
Display(s) NZXT Canvas 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) Jade Audio JT1, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W Gold
Mouse Naga X
Keyboard Akko Fairy Switch
What games? igpu can only handle so much, how much ram? maybe its getting filled up? latest drivers?

bkarthikudupa

What games? igpu can only handle so much, how much ram? maybe its getting filled up? latest drivers?
Any game or benchmark I run the cpu starts power throttling
8 Gb DDR4 RAM dual channel
Yes I'm on the latest drivers

was it HPs OS image or microsoft's via the media creation tool or rufus?
It was through Rufus when I first reinstalled the laptop

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor i5-12600kf @ 5.3 P and 3.9 E (1.28v)
Motherboard MSi Z790 Pro Wifi
Cooling Frost Commander 140
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Video Card(s) XFX MERC310 7900 XT (oc'd)
Display(s) NZXT Canvas 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) Jade Audio JT1, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W Gold
Mouse Naga X
Keyboard Akko Fairy Switch
I have no idea then, I hope you figure it out. this level of igpu is really not meant for gaming though, its just meant for everyday tasks, and maybe games like stardew valley at best. just my two cents.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@bkarthikudupa
In ThrottleStop it looks like you randomly checked every available box and setting. The PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are both locked to 15 Watts. It makes sense that your CPU is power limit throttling. There might have been a recent BIOS update or something like that which has changed the power limits.

Exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and shut down your computer. When you start back up, do not run Intel XTU. Only run ThrottleStop. This will allow ThrottleStop to read the default values that your BIOS has set the CPU to. Post some screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. Do not check anything or make any changes in ThrottleStop until you take some screenshots that show the default settings.

The 1235U has a 15W Base Power rating. Any manufacturer that decides to set the long term PL1 power limit to only 15W is going to end up killing full load performance.

Check the ThrottleStop Log File box on the main screen and go play a game for 15 minutes. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop and attach the log file to your next post. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs directory.

The other problem you have seems to be a Windows 11 or Intel Thread Director bug. Try using Process Lasso. This program might allow you to force your games to use the two Performance cores. This might work better than letting Microsoft and Intel decide what cores your games should run on.

Windows 10 does not properly support Intel 12th Gen and newer CPUs that use P and E cores. Do not waste your time installing Windows 10 on newer Intel CPUs.

bkarthikudupa

I have no idea then, I hope you figure it out. this level of igpu is really not meant for gaming though, its just meant for everyday tasks, and maybe games like stardew valley at best. just my two cents.
i mean i was able to even run no man's sky on this cpu before this error started happening

@bkarthikudupa
In ThrottleStop it looks like you randomly checked every available box and setting. The PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are both locked to 15 Watts. It makes sense that your CPU is power limit throttling. There might have been a recent BIOS update or something like that which has changed the power limits.

Exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and shut down your computer. When you start back up, do not run Intel XTU. Only run ThrottleStop. This will allow ThrottleStop to read the default values that your BIOS has set the CPU to. Post some screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. Do not check anything or make any changes in ThrottleStop until you take some screenshots that show the default settings.

The 1235U has a 15W Base Power rating. Any manufacturer that decides to set the long term PL1 power limit to only 15W is going to end up killing full load performance.

Check the ThrottleStop Log File box on the main screen and go play a game for 15 minutes. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop and attach the log file to your next post. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs directory.

The other problem you have seems to be a Windows 11 or Intel Thread Director bug. Try using Process Lasso. This program might allow you to force your games to use the two Performance cores. This might work better than letting Microsoft and Intel decide what cores your games should run on.

Windows 10 does not properly support Intel 12th Gen and newer CPUs that use P and E cores. Do not waste your time installing Windows 10 on newer Intel CPUs.
1713244206501.png
1713244230363.png

These two screenshots were taken after deleting the ini files and restarting the pc.
I will get back to you with the log files in a few mins after testing out the games .

This is the log file of throttlestop after running Dark Souls 2 at highest settings available.

Attachments

• 2024-04-16.txt
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Pro
When i open any game for the first few mins the game runs smoothly on my igpu i.e all the performance cores are unparked.
But after 3-5 mins my performance cores get parked and my whole game lags very badly, when i alt+tab out of the game even windows lags badly.
This happens only while gaming and not during everyday tasks. As you can see in one of the attached all the cores get parked and only the last 4 efficiency cores run.
Processor speed reaches below 0.20 at times . This issue first started outta nowhere a week back when i reinstalled my windows 11.
Temps are pretty stable at around 60s-70s when benchmarking or under load. Any help would be really appreciated.
Intel xtu shows my cpu was power limit throttling.View attachment 343592View attachment 343593View attachment 343741
try win10?

unclewebb

The log file shows some brutal power limit throttling down to 5 Watts which limits the CPU to 400 MHz. I do not understand why manufacturers think this much throttling is acceptable.

In the ThrottleStop TPL window you can try checking the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of that window. You can also clear Disable Controls and check the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section. This will take care of two of the power limits but unfortunately there is a third set of turbo power limits that are managed by an embedded controller (EC) that ThrottleStop does not have access to. When the EC decides that you only deserve 5W of power then that is all the CPU gets.

If the MSR and MMIO power limit Lock does not fix your problem then you are out of options. There is no solution for EC power limit throttling problems. This makes computers with U series CPUs unusable for playing games or doing anything demanding.

try win10?
Windows 10 does not correctly handle CPUs with P and E cores. Windows 10 will not fix an EC power limit throttling problem.

bkarthikudupa

The log file shows some brutal power limit throttling down to 5 Watts which limits the CPU to 400 MHz. I do not understand why manufacturers think this much throttling is acceptable.

In the ThrottleStop TPL window you can try checking the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of that window. You can also clear Disable Controls and check the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section. This will take care of two of the power limits but unfortunately there is a third set of turbo power limits that are managed by an embedded controller (EC) that ThrottleStop does not have access to. When the EC decides that you only deserve 5W of power then that is all the CPU gets.

If the MSR and MMIO power limit Lock does not fix your problem then you are out of options. There is no solution for EC power limit throttling problems. This makes computers with U series CPUs unusable for playing games or doing anything demanding.

Windows 10 does not correctly handle CPUs with P and E cores. Windows 10 will not fix an EC power limit throttling problem.
I know windows reinstall was not the issue but all of this happened after a windows reinstall , all my games were running smoothly without any throttling before

unclewebb

@bkarthikudupa
It is usually the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver that interacts with the EC to force low ball turbo power limits to be sent to the CPU.

I am guessing that there was either a BIOS update during your Windows reinstall or this driver was changed.

Check the Device Manager to see if you can find this driver. Try uninstalling it and block Windows from reinstalling it. Do a Google search for this driver or the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver. I have never had to fix a laptop with this issue. Hopefully someone somewhere has a way to deal with this problem. A CPU limited to 5 Watts and 400 MHz is no fun at all.

bkarthikudupa

@bkarthikudupa
It is usually the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver that interacts with the EC to force low ball turbo power limits to be sent to the CPU.

I am guessing that there was either a BIOS update during your Windows reinstall or this driver was changed.

Check the Device Manager to see if you can find this driver. Try uninstalling it and block Windows from reinstalling it. Do a Google search for this driver or the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver. I have never had to fix a laptop with this issue. Hopefully someone somewhere has a way to deal with this problem. A CPU limited to 5 Watts and 400 MHz is no fun at all.
Hey it was indeed a useless bios update while reinstalling that introduced this issue I tried downgrading the bios but I think hp doesn't allow bios downgrading as I'm getting cannot find signature file while downgrading.
As for Intel dynamic I didn't see it in my devic manager but i did run a script from one of the GitHub links which is supposed to disable the idtf.Is it possible that hp solves this issue if I raise a ticket or is this laptop a lost cause afterall

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Hey it was indeed a useless bios update while reinstalling that introduced this issue I tried downgrading the bios but I think hp doesn't allow bios downgrading as I'm getting cannot find signature file while downgrading.
As for Intel dynamic I didn't see it in my devic manager but i did run a script from one of the GitHub links which is supposed to disable the idtf.Is it possible that hp solves this issue if I raise a ticket or is this laptop a lost cause afterall
hp seems to be the most restrictive w bios even on thier biz models.