1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange issue Z68 since doubling RAM

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by rtwjunkie, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Recently I replaced the 2x4gb sticks on my spec pc (the ASRock) to 2x 8gb. Ever since, when I restart the computer, or an install needs a restart, there is no gentle restart. The system shuts down. Then after a second attempts to restart, and sometimes then goes to boot, but occasionally will fail once and stop, before completing bootup. However, from a cold boot, just starting up, there is never any pause.

Since this is my first foray into the core series motherboards (it's only been about 6 months), I have no idea what settings I need to adjust, since my suspicion is the increased memory is straining something. So, my settings are as follows: Vcore- 1.22; DRAM- 1.5v; VTT- 1.064v; VCCSA- 1.016v; PCH- 1.068v; CPU PLL- 1.862v. All 12v, 5v, and 3.3v voltages are rock-solid all the time.

Do I need to adjust any of these given my overclock and the 16gb RAM, even tho it is still only 2 sticks?
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would simply clear the bios on the motherboard, reboot and set PC to load auto defaults. If successfull on the next boot, then add in the XMP to adjust the memory speed.
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    And if your using raid setup remember after bios clear to setup it up on the next reboot.
  4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Set everything back to stock, update the UEFI to the latest and see if you get any issues with stock settings. If you do, drop me a PM with as much detail as you can and I'll forward your issue to my asrock contacts for you.
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Ok, will let you know how it works out after I get home this evening. I appreciate the offer with ASRock!!

@sneekypeet: Thanks for the advice also on resetting to stock.

ALL: I do have the latest BIOS installed, I probably should have specified that.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE: Cleared CMOS, restarted computer at stock. Everything fine. I then set all settings back to my overclock I had, with the one exception being the 16Gb (2x8Gb) sticks of RAM I decided to run at 1600 instead of 1866, and it restarts flawlessly. Go figure, lol...I didn't think it could be something that simple. Thanks for the advice guys!
  7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Check your CPU PLL voltage, try 1.75v, load XMP profile, manually set RAM voltage to 1.6v. See if that works.
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Doubling the amount of DIMMs in your rig puts more stress on the IMC. You may need to bump your VTT or VCCSA voltage to get it stable at 1866Mhz.
  9. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking I guess I really don't need to bump up to 1866...I mean, what's the point? Since this is high-quality RAM, I'm just going to lower the latencies, which is probably far more useful. I DO see the point in the 16gb straining the IMC.

Can you tell me exactly what to bump up just a tiny bit to overcome that? CPU PLL, VTT, or VCCSA, and how much? Or should I not worry about it since it's operating just fine now? With lowering the latencies, does that add strain I need to compensate for?