1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange Problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jbunch07, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I go to start my computer this morning and i get all this warning or error messages saying that all of programs have stopped working like all at once. I dont remember everything that popped up, the ones I remember where ATi CCC, Super fetch, Sidebar,Everest Ultimate, there was a few others but cant remember. Any ideas on what caused all these to stop working at once?
    *Note* I did put in new memory right before this happened, 4GB(2x2) of G.Skill PI. Could bad memory do this?

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Run memtest just to be sure. Sounds more like a virus thing to me.......

jbunch07 says thanks.
  3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Probably, always test your ram when its questionable.. Check that first, then look at overclock, hard drive damage etc.

jbunch07 says thanks.
  4. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    mine did that when its lacking voltage... try raising your voltage on memory

jbunch07 says thanks.
  5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    NEVER raise your voltage just because something errors out, its simply dangerous and pointless. You need to find out what your issue is before you start trying to throw voltage at something that maybe complete unrelated. That's a really good way to burn stuff out for no good reason.

6. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the super fast replies, Ill check voltage again but I'm pretty sure its running at the required 1.9v

7. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol just a suggestion it did happen to me +.50V doesn't hurt right...

8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Just the random guess and tossing voltage at something which may not be an issues to start with is not a smart move.

Basically knock it down to whats causing the issue, then fix that.

It was more to make sure he didn't jump to the bios and crank on the voltage, nobody knows, maybe he was at 2.2, then an increase could have been very bad, especially if it wasn't his ram to start with and he fried a stick..

But you increased your voltage by .5?!?!? That's a pretty big jump... 1.8 - 2.2 is only .4, so did you mean .05?

9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about ATi CCC, Super fetch and the Sidebar but can Everest Ultimate be configured to start on start-up (and consequently quit responding)?

I find it fishy and I tend to agree with farlex85 in that it could be a trojan or virus...

However I recently added ram and had a compatibility issue, and the first symptom was programs stopping responding. I hadn't even tried any games, but FF quit, IE quit, Windows Live Mail quit... everything stopped responding...

So I ran the Orthos blend (cpu & ram) test and got the clear for a full phenomenal 3 seconds before it called it quitters...
    Removing my old brand ram and staying with the Ballistix ram did the trick for me.

So my advice would be: Before you worry about which virus you got and how you can get rid of it ---- run Orthos blend test. See how you go.... if you get luck similar to mine, forget about viruses - remove your new ram and check if all is okay. If yes, put in the new ram and check if all is okay... (if not then your new ram's got a problem). If yes, it might mean that your old ram is not compatible, like mine had been (my Elixir had a max of 1.8V which I stretched to 1.9V to OC while the Ballistix need 2.0V and to keep my OC I'd be under-volting them, well you get the story...)

10. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok im almost 100% sure it was the ram, I just put my tracers back in and everything is running fine now. Man that really sucks too, I heard allot of good stuff about this ram : /

11. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I meant .05 increase. if its not a software problem then might be hardware...

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What kind of Pi's did you get?

13. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received: