1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Success-ref 7950 new ghz bios flash!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mediasorcerer, Sep 21, 2012.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did it, been trying for about 2 hrs now, i had no luck with rbe and atiwinflash however i found a package from anand that initially didnt work, i right clicked to properties, unlocked the file properties, didnt run as admin [tho it was suggested to i believe] and voila, new bios flashed off the desktop!!

I hope this may help anyone else out there struggling, dont forget to unlock the file in properties first lol!!!
  2. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Dont know if ill flash mine but thanks for the up mate. Good work! :)
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  3. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heres an update on trying it out with a fairly recent game- fear 3[2011], i just ran fear 3 on full settings with aa[or was it anisotropic] 8x i think it was, and the card ran quite hot and loud [but it handled it no probs tho hehe] temps hit maybe over 70c however something didnt feel right i felt it was too hot.

A good indicator of overloading electronics is the smell believe it or not[in my op], it started to smell how do you say=plasticy?? anyways, i quit the aa setting and after that its fine, really kills it actually, bear in mind my psu is only 500watts so its at the bare minimum, until i get a more powerful psu, i think il run it at stock in the mean time, might fry somethin aye lol.
    ps noticed the fan % has dropped to 20 at idle not 30 anymore.
    clocks are 925/ 1250 on default now.

As a side not , winsat formal has gone from 7.6 b4 to 7.9 now @1920x1080.:rockout::toast:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I redid the thermal paste on this card, and the idle went from 34 c down to around 30 c, i think thats pretty damn good isnt it?

Also, i did a little mod where i have placed a little fan onto the topside of the card to help dissipate heat off the back of the chip, that may be helping too id say, i used rubber fan mounts so theres clearance etc.

have a look if your interested.

Attached Files:

5. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Nice work. I just went and dogged meself an accelero 7970. Works a charm. Have a look see into one of those. U wont be dissapointed! :)
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    congrats is all i can say. maybe you can have a bigger fan and a shroud designed for the back of the card
  7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey outback bronze, can i ask you will the acellero fit on my 7950 do you know? cos i saw one for a 7970 in a local pawnshop for 50 odd $, what you think?

to eidairaman~ thats exactly what i have been thinking about, i even have a few spare heatsinks from an old xbox etc, and several spare fans, if i get round to it ,il post up pics, thanx for thought.
  8. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good job! but why are you not overclocking your K series CPU? I'd buy a new heatsink and fan for the CPU before I'd buy one for the graphics card. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes excellent question and thanx for post too, i will get a single closed loop rad as soon as i have the funds, i had a h20-620 antec[2 fans] on my last rigg with core i5 k and i had it stable @ 4.8 ghz and got it over 5 ghz reasonably stable with a few crashes under load, [first time id ever oc too lol]
    its just i saw the cooler in the pawnshop and it was quite cheap, probably get them down to 40$ for it i rekon, i know them quite well,

do you think its worth getting a dual rad this time? costs more $ tho, i desperately need ram too, running on 680mhz generic green stik of 4gb atm hehe,[at least it works,oni cost 22$ just so i can use rigg etc] all about funds i guess!!!

ps i got it running @ 3.9 atm on the intel crap cooler lol.
  10. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Aww ok yea if you can pick up that cooler for 40-50 bucks then yea man do it. As for dual rad.. Do you mean a 240mm rad or 2x raid? I think you mean 240mm rad and if so then if you got the space and the cash then yepper. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Bear in mind when you go water cooling you risk the other parts heating up. Cpu and gpu fans cool that part of the pcb. So you may want to augment those areas with a fan at least not for the chip but the other parts on the pcb.
  12. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will fit. It also depends on the case too. They are quite large.