• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

successfully flashed 6950's but no crossfire..HELP

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
should boot from 2nd slot as well without card in slot 1 so maybe slot is dead, try resetting the bios tho. remove card from slot 2, reset bios, put card back in set up bios and check.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Make sure to disconnect power from PSU, remove board battery, place jumper, wait 5 minutes or so, to be sure, remove jumper, replace battery, then re-connect power.

Power up board with one card. Go to BIOS, select "load optimized defaults", save and reboot. Re-enter BIOS, then power down. Install second card, go into BIOS, and again "load optimized defaults".

Boot into windows, check with GPU-Z.

Problem with flashing the cards, and this Crossfire issue are coincidental, IMHO.

iam1simpleguy

It seems slot is dead...

I reset bios after removing card from 2nd slot...remove gpu from 1st slot and then inserted same working gpu into 2nd slot it and it shows vga led blinking on mobo ...means the same card which is working gives error in second slot..Means I was not able to see any display ..

So is there any way to rectify that dead slot. Other then sending it to RMA?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No, i do not think flashing caused the slot to die. I mean I guess it's possible, but i think 1-in-a-million chance.

If singlecard gets x16 link, and is stable, then it is not likely to be CPU, either, and is simply a problem with the board(Graphics PCIe is inside CPU). I would suggest updating BIOS again, with just one card installed, and afterwords, leave it overnight unplugged from power, and clear CMOS jumper on.

If that does not work, then RMA the board.

iam1simpleguy

yeah i can try to do that...but i must say that right after i flashed my GPU's crossfire didn't work.Maybe after that second slot was not responding and i was on bios 1805.Means crossfire didn't work on bios 1805.

Secondly u want me to update to latest bios again which is 2001?

I must tell you that my mobo was Overclocked to 5ghz once and then running on 47ghz 24x7.But it was all working before i flashed the card.So problems occured once i removed the gpu or maybe after i flashed the card..not sure.

D

Deleted member 67555

I'm not sure if it's the same on your mobo but on my old 790gx I have to set it to x8-x8 operation in the bios in order to Xfire...but seeing as you've done this before that's not likely the problem and it's a bad slot...

But I can't see how this just happened after the flash to 6970...but stranger things have happened.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, I thought of that too, but my board only has option to select boot order.

Loading "optimized defaults" should rectify any such issue, too. If it was that, and it didn't fix it, the BIOS sucks bigtime.

iam1simpleguy

Well i guess i try to update bios and leave the computer for few hours if thats the only solution left.

But if i have to send it to RMA then its goin to be huge long waiting hours when BF3 is about to release ..Damn :\

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You could just play with one card...lol...

Depending on region, ASUS can be quite fast for RMA, as they are a pretty big company.

iam1simpleguy

It takes altleast 15 days for sure to return the mobo back to me..I would have been more happy if one of my gpu might have been faulty that way i could play with 1 card.But since it seems slot is dead so mobo has to go...

Btw..so what u guys would have done if your board comes back from RMA...WOULD you flash 6950 again??

Well thx all for helping me.I could never have came to conclusion if u guys have not helped me.Special thx to digitaluk and cadaveca.Will update later after updating bios again.

iam1simpleguy

Well i updated again ...and reset the bios but its some Dead slot ..so goin to send it for RMA

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
That sucks :/ hopefully your RMA goes through quickly so you can get BF3 going asap.