1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggest me mail provider

Discussion in 'General Software' started by JunkBear, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    MSN, GMAIL or Yahoo and why?

Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook 2007 or Mozilla Thunderbird and why?

Thank you.

2. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Bump

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Any.

Any.

Me I use Gmail and Outlook. Gmail because it was way better than hotmail and more local alternatives back in the day and Outlook because I got it through a job I had (it's 2007). I wouldn't pay for it though.

But unless you have very specific needs you can choose whatever you want.

JunkBear says thanks.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Mozilla Thunderbird is just an email client for yahoo/gmail/live/etc. It does what outlook does basically. It isnt a service like the aforementioned providers.

5. punisher186

punisher186

Thanks Received:
    I use Zoho with Thunderbird, IMAP. If you care about privacy don't use Gmail.

JunkBear says thanks.
  6. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    I exactly know that. That's why i put it on same line beside Outlook and Windows Live mail. That's also why i put Yahoo, Hotmail and Google together.

7. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Or any other provider short of the likes of Lavabit (which shut down recently btw).

EDIT: But you can't really compare Live Mail with Outlook. Outlook is to Live Mail what Word is to Wordpad. Sort of. For most users it's total overkill though.

JunkBear says thanks.
  8. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    I would like to use only one provider for forums, websites, games, ebay. everything social in fact but i will have my own email for personnal banking and job search. I don,t mix them.

9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Gmail coz they have google document, google drive and its integrate
    One account for everything
    Yahoo is nice too i have both one for work one for personal

JunkBear says thanks.
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    So make an account then, somewhere and start changing those mail forms. :)

@micropage: Well I'm not too fond of that actually, which is why I still have seperate accounts for mail and Youtube, and I don't have +. I like to keep things sort of seperate.

11. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    What you mean by changing those mail forms ?

12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Windows live custom domains.

13. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Where? How? Why?

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If you care about privacy, don't use email. Email isn't a secure form of messaging. The protocol is open and it isn't encrypted or even verified that the sender is who they say they are. All in all, as far as email, gmail is a very good option. If privacy is important to you, don't send important data through email. It's not that gmail isn't secure, it's that no email is secure.

15. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    So I will go with Gmail I think BUT I will disable Google+ AND I will not allow websites to connect me through my e-mail identification like every websites that wanna use Facebook identity as connection access.

16. punisher186

punisher186

Thanks Received:
    Yes but Google intentionally spies on its users in order to target certain ads to them based on keywords in their email, among other things. Zoho doesn't do this and has the same functionality as Gmail.

MT Alex says thanks.
  17. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Google, Yahoo and Microsoft also share with NSA anyway.

18. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Outlook bc Google reads the body portion of emails, MS does not. For the purpose of selling shit you don't need, in the ads.

19. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    i would think the personal/banking/job email is the one that needs to be safe, what provider is that on?

if it's a semi throaway social account, just do gmail so you have drive+youtube+android

20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Free and uses outlook.com's ui and servers and you also get their spam protection. You can have more than 250 free accounts as well. All using your custom domain like remixedcat.com for example.

You use outlook.com to login as well.

21. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    I don't have any domain I'm not into server or website management so I don't need 250 free accounts. Only one is fine for me and every outlook accounts use the same spam protection system whatever it is commercial or personnal. So basically it's just creating an Outlook account and connect it to a domain name toget all people together up to 250 persons. Basically what I see in that is that Microsoft tries to get as much people as possible to use their email service. Underlined and not written the fact that they can like that gather much more informations about people, what they doing online, in their email boxes and know who is connected to who and where.

Not really privacy wise your advice. Could it be possible that you work for Microsoft?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Gmail: Because it has the best user interface out of all of them, and the least annoying ads. Plus it integrates best with my android phone.

None use the web interface. If I had to pick one, it would be Windows Live Mail. I don't like Thunderbird because it doesn't have a built in calender, yes I know there are add-ons to add a calender, but it should just be built in.

So that just leave Outlook and Live Mail, and I won't use Outlook because of the way it stores your data. Storing everything in one large file is just a horrible way to do it. If that file becomes corrupt, and I've seen it happen, you can loose everything. I've seen people with 10GB+ PST files loose everything because the PST file became corrupt, it isn't fun. There are tools to try to recover data, but the bigger the PST file the longer they take to work, and there is no guarantee.

Windows Live Mail stores each email as its own file, and each contact as its own file as well. So if a file becomes corrupt, the most you can loose is that one email or contact. This is just such a better way to do things.

That used to be true with Outlook Express, but Live Mail has grown to the point that it offers pretty much everything Outlook does. I haven't really run into a feature that Outlook has that Live Mail doesn't with the exception of connecting to Exchange.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  23. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Backups. ;)

Haven't really looked that hard at Live Mail, but if this is the case go for that if anything.

24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is actually an option in Gmail that the user can enable or disable. So, no, google does not spy on me, because I told them not to.

In and ideal world, backups would be the answer, but we don't live in the ideal world. So I'd much rather just not have people take the risk.

JunkBear says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I don't work for Microsoft and if you don't want spied on don't go online.. Simple as that.