1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggestions for multi-tasking laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 2FNLOW, Dec 30, 2012.

1. 2FNLOW New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good day. I need some help picking out a new laptop and was wondering if I could get some suggestions from the members here.

The laptop will be for personal and business use and needs to be able to run multiple applications simultaneously with ease. It also has to have a Windows OS. As far as budget, I'm undecided, but I'm prepared to spend over $1,500. If you could, maybe suggest a low end laptop around $1,500 and another slightly better machine around the $2,000-$2,200 mark.

To give you an idea of what the machine will be handling on a daily basis, listed below are the applications I currently have running and usually have running at all times.

--Google Chrome with 7 tabs open (blogs/forums)
    --Photoshop CS4 with 3 files open, the largest being a 2550x3300 pixel, 35MB file
    --Spotify
    --Microsoft Word
    --FilaZilla Cilent
    --IrfanView

In an effort to help you better select a laptop for my needs, I've included a link below to a screenshot of my task manager so you can see how much memory these applications are using.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2319/taskmanagerm.jpg

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. 2FNLOW New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump
  3. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    try here
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9170
    I am not sure you will beable to find a laptop that can display a 2550x3300 image(at least not natively )
    if you have a shittonn of money to burn sager is pretty much the king of high endlaptops
    that said at min you are gonna need something with specs to close to what follows
    Quad core or better proc preferably at least 2.Ghz intel is what you want here
    8 or 16GB GB of ram
    a Discrete class GPU at least a GTX 640 or a AMD 6770M or better
    if you are serious about photo and video editing then the 90% color gamut is worth the extra cost
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. 2FNLOW New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out.

Let me ask you, are Sager and MSI laptops one in the same? I see a lot of people put "Sager/MSI".
  5. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
  7. waspman3

waspman3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude nice selection. I'm also in the market for another laptop. I can't quite afford that one but have selected this one as my next one barring something better comes along. Good luck with that one.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...dsPerPage=5&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock
  8. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I have a Samsung series 5 Notebook. It's specs are - I7 3630QM 2.4Ghz, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM @1600Mhz, 1 TB HDD and a Nvidia GT650M. I will often be running games + Skype, youtube, Twitchtv (with a livestream running) and facebook and it is able to run all of that smoothly. I have never had any problems with the notebook at all and i've had it for a few months now.
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Photoshop isn't really suited to laptops. The rest will work fine on any budget laptop with enough memory (at least 4 GiB).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    What are you smoking. Photoshop is suited for laptops. Better CPU, better performance. I just love this forum sometimes.
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I forgot all about Sager. They use to build the original Alienware notebooks