• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SuperSilent Freezer 64 Pro - I need some advice (cleaning etc)

T

TechnicalFreak

Hi

Ok, so today I will go and get my SuperSilent Freezer 64 Pro. Right now I have a stock cooler on my AMD 64 (3000+). So, after I have disconnected all power from system, grounded myself using ESD protective gear and dismounted the old heatsink what do I do?

I've read that I can use "rubbing alcohol" to remove the leftovers from the thermal pad. I don't know what this "rubbing alcohol" contains , so here is what I have:
Something called "T-Röd" (T-Red). It contains Denaturated Etanol and some "color" [it's red].
However it can catch fire already at +11C.. So perhaps it isn't the best to use?
Also I have thinner for paint removal, perhaps that is a better option?

And now a question to them who actually own the SuperSilent Freezer 64 Pro:
It's said that it comes with thermal paste, but is it already applied or is it in a "tube"?

Do I need to modify the cooler itself in anyway to fit my socket 754?

Should I keep the system on for about 1 hour or so before removing old heatsink (maybe makes it easier to remove it)??

Thankful for any replies and advice given.

DrGreenThumb

System Name Betsy
Processor 3800x2
Motherboard MSI-7168 Nec - NO OC options :(
Cooling 2 fans rear/front
Memory 2gig ddr 400
Video Card(s) GTS 250 512mb
Storage 200gb sata
Display(s) 21 inch crt or 15 samsung lcd pc/tv
Case black
Audio Device(s) Realtek drivers !!
Power Supply 500w SliverStone Strider
Software Xp pro 32 / Vista x64
You can use a bottle of deodorant to clean your cpu :) just make sure its not that dry type
just spray abit on a kitchen paper towel

I recentley put some new thermal grease on my cpu, i used deodorant it works fine

Also just look at the bottem of the heatsink and if theres a thermal pad theres it been applyed...

If theres nothing on the bottom of heatsink you need to apply thermal grease or thermal pad
If its grease, you dont need alot say a lil bit bigger then a grain of rice

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
its already applied.. a nice neat square of the stuff on the bottom of the cooler base..

just clean the old stuff off the top of the cpu.. if it dosnt just wipe off.. it should as far as i am concerned.. use something to help get it off..

buy cooler.. reader instructions.. fit cooler.. it really aint that hard..

in fact its made as easy as possible.. its review reading obsessives who imply its not..

trog

ps.. un-clipping the fan before fitting makes life easier..